Parenting after 35

Anyone make their own food?

We started Matty on solids at the beginning of the year (rice cereal and oatmeal). We have since moved onto sweet potato and carrots, neither with any success.

I cooked and pureed the food myself using organic veggies (better than I eat myself) and then added breast milk to make it more mushy.  He gags on the food.  I would like to keep him on homemade food for as long as possible but my husband thinks we should try packaged foods. I think he would hate packaged sweet potato just as much as homemade.

Thoughts?

Re: Anyone make their own food?

• If you look at the ingredients on jarred food, it's the same as homemade stuff. Provided you make it as thick/thin as the jarred stuff, I would think it tastes the same.

I made and froze some sweet potatoes(haven't fed them to M yet), and it looks just like the jarred stuff. 

• The first food I gave Maddie after a week of  *practice* eating cereal was spaghetti squash, pureed with water added to make it smoother. I tasted it and it was really pretty sweet and milk. She LOVED it. I think the taste is not nearly as strong as the other vegies. I have to add a pinch of cinnamon to her carrots or she doesn't like it. You shouldn't make your own carrots (even organic) until 8 months unless you know it was grown in soil that is low in nitrates. I am not sure how one would know that, so I just didn't give her carrots until after 8 months.

I've also cooked and pureed chicken from Whole Foods. I had to add breast milk before I give that to her or she wont eat it.

I have organic sweet potatoes to make for her this weekend.

GL and I'd love to know what you all try and works for your LO.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • How many days in a row did you feed it?

G hated the sweet potatoes at first.  But by day 2 she was liking it more.  I think the texture threw her off.  It was very smooth and thick.  I thinned it with some milk and she liked it after that.

We started peas and I think this is her favorite. I say this bc she keeps talking every single time I feed her it.

• Try the Earth's Best, its really good and completely 100% organic, all you see on their label is: "sweet potatoes".

As Moiselle mentioned above, my pedi had mentioned to feed it to him for 3 days straight (nothing else), if he liked it great, if not mix it with something he's already had for those 3 days to make it taste better.

Also, remember there's a good chance his diet will resemble yours for now.  If you dislike peas, he will too, at least that's what most of the moms i've spoken to have said... Good luck!

image Nicholas Jacob born on 06/30/2009, 9.5lbs and 21 1/4" long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Joshua Scott 5.3lbs & Jonathan Matthew 6.2lbs, born 08/31/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We got that fancy baby food maker as a shower gift. Broke it out the other night and got started with the organic butternut squash I got at the farmers market for 50 cents. HUGE hit with the wee one. the next night we made sweet potatoes but haven't fed them to her yet. Green beans are up next. It was super easy to make the stuff and it's turning out to be inexpensive and really fun too (even got DH on board with it and he's planning to add "make baby food" to his Sunday Mr. Mom routine).

Ada spent the first few weeks of solids gagging on everythign we tried with her. Then one day she was just ready. I gave her a Mum-Mum and she went to town so we tried solids again. Success!

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Peeper Summarized
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"