Adoption

Another ?? on adoptive breastfeeding

I would love to try it but don't you pretty have to take hormones to make this work?  Would the hormone drugs be OK for the baby?  I haven't done any research on this yet but after reading the article below I am intrigued.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Another ?? on adoptive breastfeeding

• Not necessarily

Yes

• you dont have to do heavy amounts of hormones, a month of birth control was fine for me..

pm me if your interested i have been working on it and so far succeeding

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

TTC since 2005
    missed miscarriage nov 2006- 4 failed clomid cycles-
    3 failed femara iui cycles-
    moving on to IVF oct 2011
    ER nov. 7th
    tansfered 2 blasts on 11/10
    lots of +hpt!!
    beta #1 on 11/21= 50.4
    beta #2 on11/23= 90.8
    another miscarriage 12/23
    moving on to Round 2 of IVF with an auto immune dx
    ER 4/23-retrieved 12 eggs
    ET 4/28 3 transfered
    Beta #1- 356
    Beta #2- 870

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • wille2b~

You have PM

• If it is something we wanted to try, would we need to let the bmom know? is it the "right" thing to do, or does it not matter?
  • Some lactating mothers after giving birth require hormone drugs to help with supply problems and those drugs are safe for the baby.  There are many all natural ways to increase supply (or initiate lactating and then increase supply in your case) as well.  Pumping, oatmeal, dark beer, fenugreek, more milk plus, mother's milk tea, etc.

Although I was already lactating for my DS, in order to boost my supply for my DD's needs I had to pump a lot more often at times my DS wasn't eating, eat oatmeal daily, drink dark beer every few days, and eat tons of food and drink lots of water (over 200 oz a day) to keep my supply up.

www.kellymom.com is a great resource for breastfeeding (it even includes info about adoptive breastfeeding).

• imageAuburnBride06:
    If it is something we wanted to try, would we need to let the bmom know? is it the "right" thing to do, or does it not matter?

This is where I am at.  I plan to bf our adopted child because I currently bf ds and hope to keep going and overlap.  But I don't know if I need to make that known.   I don't want to be dishonest in any way, but we cloth diaper and I don't feel the need to share that... I don't know. I think we talked about it a while back and were undecided.

Married on 3.20.2004. It took 30 month, 2 failed adoptions and IVF for our first miracle. We have had 9 foster kids since he was born and started the domestic adoption process when he was 10 month old, we had 4 failed matches in that time. After our daughter was born we brought her home and spent 2 weeks fearing we might lose her because of complications that came up. But Praise God all went through and she is ours forever! Expecting again after IVF Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
  • I think if you adopt the child, you don't have to let the birth mother know about your breastfeeding plans any more than you have to let her know what your plan is regarding sleep schedules.  It's not a co-parenting arrangement.  YOU are the parent, and therefore, YOU get to make the parenting decisions on your own, without input from the birth family.
  • imageCaptainSerious:
    I think if you adopt the child, you don't have to let the birth mother know about your breastfeeding plans any more than you have to let her know what your plan is regarding sleep schedules.  It's not a co-parenting arrangement.  YOU are the parent, and therefore, YOU get to make the parenting decisions on your own, without input from the birth family.

I completely agree with this statement.

• It was important to me to try to do adoptive breastfeeding, and our SW thought it was very important that we were open with our BMom about that plan. 

I did try (no hormones, just mechanical stimulation), and was producing some drops, but ultimately just couldn't make it work for me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The adoptive mother of my daughter breast fed her. She began the hormones right after we were matched and began to pump the day she was born. SHe came to the hospital for the feedings and pumped so that I could feed her when she was away. It was really amazing and became a great bonding moment for them! She breast fed for a year and then adopted again and it just became to much. Hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"