Stay at Home Moms
Options

Does your DH clean up after dinner?

Assuming you made dinner that is. Before I quit my job I would make dinner and he would generally clean up. We don't have a dishwasher, so it's a little time consuming. Since I quit he still cleaned up, but the last two nights he hasn't. He said he was just too busy and tired and that he was sorry. He offered to let me leave the mess and he'd clean up after work, but I don't want to look at a dirty kitchen all day plus I hate making dinner in a messy kitchen. I don't want to be a nag, but I also don't want to feel like a servant in my own home.

Just wondering how it works in your household.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Does your DH clean up after dinner?

• Options
    no, dh gives ds a bath while I clean up.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    No. He generally entertains the LO's for me.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Depends. He's either taking care of kids or cleaning up. Sometimes it's his choice, sometimes DD is extra tired and just wants me so he cleans. If we're both tired, just the bare minimum gets done rather than having a perfectly clean kitchen.

I do have a dishwasher, but when I'm doing a lot of baking where I'll have tons of dishes to wash by hand I fill the sink with hot soapy water and drop things in there. Then they wash up with just a quick swipe and it's done fast. Could you do something like this while you're cooking so it's not as big of a deal?

- Jena
  • Options
    once in a blue moon he will. I do get resentful a lot of having to do everything. Mostly because I feel like he didn't help a lot before and if I was working it would be the same.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

He very rarely does.  I normally have most of the clean up done before we eat, I clean as I go.  So the only dishes are the plates we eat off of and the pan I cooked it in.  I take care that stuff while DS is finishing up eating.

I do 99.99% of the cleaning in our home.  DH works 10+ hours a day, so when he is home we spend time together.  When I was working everything was pretty much 50/50.  It doesn't bother me because I know if I didn't have time to do stuff, he would be willing to do it.

• Options
    One of us cleans up the dinner dishes, and the other gives DD a bath.  We switch off.
    BabyFruit Ticker On our way to 3 under 4! DD1 1/22/09 DD2 7/16/10 Baby Boy Due This Summer!
  • Options

depends on my mood!

if it's been a rough day w/ C, he will just take care of them and I will clean up.  sometimes he will take care of C and then clean up after he puts him to bed if it's been a really rough day Embarrassed

• Options
    Usually whoever cooks gives ds a bath while the other is cleaning up from dinner.
  • Options
    imagejen5/03:

Depends. He's either taking care of kids or cleaning up. Sometimes it's his choice, sometimes DD is extra tired and just wants me so he cleans. If we're both tired, just the bare minimum gets done rather than having a perfectly clean kitchen.

I do have a dishwasher, but when I'm doing a lot of baking where I'll have tons of dishes to wash by hand I fill the sink with hot soapy water and drop things in there. Then they wash up with just a quick swipe and it's done fast. Could you do something like this while you're cooking so it's not as big of a deal?

Ditto.

• Options
    It depends.  DH is a teacher/football coach/Athletic Director at his school, so he is not always home at night for dinner.  When he is, most nights he will clean up, unless DS is really into playing with him at the time, and then I will do it while he plays with DS.  If I have had a bad day, he will definitely do it.  I watch 3 other kids in our home during the day and being pregnant,  some days I am just exhausted.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

DH didn't do anything until I had a talk with him about a week ago and now he is definitely, at least, picking up after himself.  Also we've been alternating - DH does a lot of the cooking (he's much better at it than I) so if he cooks, I clean and vice-versa.  Unless, of course, one of us is just really tired, the other will step in.

I hope it keeps up - it's been great and has made for a much more harmonious household for us. 

• Options
    I clean up when I cook and he cleans up when he cooks.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Options
    we switch off like every other day or so.
  • Options

imagebabypuplove:
    One of us cleans up the dinner dishes, and the other gives DD a bath.  We switch off.

That is what we do.... Sometimes DH even cooks dinner!

• Options

I am blessed to have a DH who really seems to "get it".  Regardless of who makes dinner, he puts away the leftovers and at least rinses the dishes.  I often will put them in the dishwasher the next morning, but this is more because I prefer it than anything else.  I just don't like the way DH loads the dishwasher. :) 

• Options

I always cook. And DH is good at helping with dishes, but never immediately. It's more like if there's dishes there when he gets home from work, then he'll help out. I don't know what it is about DD, but anytime I try to wash dishes she has a hysterical fit, shoving me away from the counter, etc. It's easier to do it when DH is home, but right after dinner, I go straight into doing her bath, etc, and then afs soon as she's in bed, I go to the gym. Or do hw, or clean.

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

Sometimes.  If he's not cleaning up after dinner, he's giving ds a bath or tending to him while I clean up.  As long as he isn't laying on his a##, fine by me.

• Options

Yes, DH helps clean up. There are days when I do all the clean up, and days when he does all the clean up. I don't nickel and dime my husband over things like this.........just NMS.

Your DH is offering you a compromise - he'll clean up, but after work. If you don't want to accept that because you don't want to look at a dirty kitchen, unless you can come up with an alternate plan you both agree on, then you will have to clean up after dinner.

I would just communicate your feelings to him and see what he says. Maybe he'll be a bit more understanding and you guys will figure things out. GL!

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options

Yes, it's one of his "jobs" here in our household.

I do 100% of the meal planning, shopping & cooking for all three of us, every single day, three meals a day.  I told DH that because I did all of that, it would be most helpful for him to do the clean-up after dinner.  I told him we could trade should he want to... he REFUSED!  :)  

Granted, I do clean as I go along throughout the day, I don't leave piles of the day's dishes for him to do.  He just washed any pots/pans, puts away the leftovers, and loads the dishwasher.

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

• Options
    DH will round up everyone's plates and put them in the sink for me to wash (put in dishwasher) and he puts away any left overs.  Strangely enough, his ability to round up plates is absent on weekends because I'm always peeling plates off of placemats.  He's too busy and distracted by the kids after meals and so he doesn't think to get the plates.  Even though I'd love for plates to make their way to the sink, it's not too big of a deal though.  When I really don't want to do it for whatever reason, I just ask DH to do it.
  • Options
    We take turns cooking.  Whoever isn't cooking watches LO and feeds him dinner while the other one cooks, then whoever didn't cook cleans up (unless one of us if feeling super generous that day).
  • Options
    Once in awhile he will, but usually he just entertains the girls while I do it, which is fine w/me.  He's always willing, though, but I normally don't mind doing it as long as he watches the girls.
  • Options
    No. Whenever he says he is going to, the dishes are still there the next day when he is going to "get up early" to do them before work.  he never gets up early.  So I have given up.  When he would make dinner, he wanted me to do dishes because he cooked (and he is a slob when he cooks, it is a chore to clean up after).  When I make dinner, he thinks I should clean up because I cooked. hmmm

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DH is awesome at cleaning up...all over the house.  But he's OCD about things being put away. 
  • Options
    Well we've agreed several times that it is one of his jobs...and he does it about once a month...so he just gives me lip service.  He never does bath either.  Frankly the only thing he does is take out the trash every other day...and that's just the kitchen trash.  He does much less now than he did when I only had 1 baby.
    AKA Carol*Brady! IHO my upcoming 10yr Nestiversary--Back to old screenname. My own Marsha, Jan & Cindy... imageDesigning a Life Blog
  • Options

I usually clean as I go and then he takes care of the pots and serving stuff.

• Options
    He used to clean while I gave DD a bath.  But recently we have been eating after she goes to bed.  So now I usually do dishes.  Sometimes we do them together.
  • Options
    Sometimes.  He'll help put leftovers away and put condiments or whatever back into the fridge.  The "rule" in our house is that when you are finished with your plate, you take it into the kitchen and either put it on the counter or (if I got a chance to empty it) put it in the dishwasher.  I don't mind cleaning up as long as I don't have to search the house for dishes....
    DD#1~8/17/96------DS~10/24/05 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We alternate baths and dinner cleanup. Lately I've been opting for dinner cleanup because it gives me some quiet time to clear my head and gives dh time with the kids.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"