Two Under 2

DC #2 STTN

When did your DC#2 start STTN?  I am extremely exhausted with DS.  I think we were really spoiled with DD who started STTN at 8 weeks.  I find myself getting impatient with this with DS at times, but everyone tells me that I am expecting too much from him. 

Also, did you do any kind of sleep training with your little ones?

It's amazing how these kids already are sooooo different from each other!

Re: DC #2 STTN

• Consider yourself lucky that your DD STTN so early. And I agree with everyone else who tells you that you're expecting too much from him.

DD#1 - STTN at 9 months old

DD#2 - STTN at 11 months old

DS - STTN at 1 YEAR old

And yes, we did CIO starting at 5-6 months old with each of our children, but that was to GET them to sleep, not to make them STTN. My kids are on the low end of the weight charts and I EBF, so they wake more for nursing during the night.

I AM a firm believer in using CIO, but not to cut out feedings when your baby is so small. I only use it so that my children will be able to put themselves to sleep/naps without depending on me. I believe in allowing your child to figure out when they can STTN themselves.

I didn't have any expections of STTN early, since it has never happened for me. I just have bad sleepers for the first year of my children's lives.

I have gotten used to it and have functioned this way, because I don't know any other way.

GL to you!

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • I'm really hoping baby#2 is a better sleeper than our ds.  Since he was a preemie, he was probably 4-5 months old before he was sleeping through the night.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I am in the exact same boat, DS slept through the night by 10 weeks and DD has a few times, but then she stopped ?!?

Everyone I talk to says that this is the norm, not that DS STTN when he did, that we were lucky with him.  It bothers me that I know she has done it, but she is always ravenously hungry when she does wake and is getting better about going right back down, so I am hopeful! At 2 mos, she was still getting up a lot and staying up for hours, so I hope that it improves for you as it has for me in the last couple weeks!

• DS only started STTN recently.  He'll do it for a week or 2 and then he'll start waking up again.  I hope our next one in a much better sleeper.

I don't recommend doing sleep training at 2 mo.  We waited until 6 mo to do CIO and that was for getting him to sleep not STTN. 

imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • still waiting...

Rylee did it at 6 weeks and never looked back...

Kai does 7-10, 10-2, 2-6 6-8.

Rylee - 3.28.08
    Malakai - 8.3.09
    Ezra - 12.1.11 ASD
  • DS1 - sleeping 11 hours by 7wks.

DS2 - not yet..... ugh.  I still get up 3-5 times per night with him.  Lord help me. 

Caleb.02.01.08 | Asher.07.06.09 | Jude.01.19.12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mama Jan's Kitchen... a food blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I agree you were pretty lucky getting your DC#1 to STTN so early.  DD#1 didn't start STTN consistenly until around 9 mo old.  We did CIO with her at 5.5 mo.  She would STTN for a few days, then be up again, then STTN for a few days etc. until around 9 mo.  I agree -- I don't recommend CIO before at least 4 mo. old if not 5-6 mo.

So far I've been really happy to see how different DD#2's sleep patterns are compared to DD#1.  At 8 weeks, she's already sleeping for 6.5 hr stretches at night -- DD#1 didn't do that until we did CIO at 5.5 mo.  So I'm hoping this means she's on the road to STTN on her own in the next month or so.

Good luck!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • i'd have to say 8 weeks is way not normal, that is amazing!  our daughter didn't sleep through the night until about 4 months, but then that was only 6 to 8 hour stretches...she was 6 months when she finally did the 12 hour stretch, and even then she'd sometimes wake up to eat in the middle of the night...by 9 months, i knew that when i put her down at 7pm, i would for sure not hear from her til 7am. 

anyhow, we followed the babywise series of books and were super happy with it - but the crying it out thing we only did at 6 months, and even then it didn't mean she'd for sure sleep all the way thru.  that was just to get her to put herself to sleep, which is quite helpful in the middle of the night especially so we could just give her a bottle and put her back in her crib.

good luck!

• DS #1 slept 4-5 hour stretches by 6 weeks.  8-10 hours by 3 months. He loves his sleep and sleeps a good 12 hours to this day.

DS #2 8 hours by 4 weeks!!

It makes me a little afraid to have a third since I have been so lucky both times

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DD2 on/off starting at 5 weeks. If she's up, it's once around 6. So not bad.

DD1 was 15 months....and really, it's still not consistent. We have harder nights with her then with our NB.

We did Ferber at 9 months with DD1 because she was up every 2 hours still. DD2 we follow Baby Whisperer sleep suggestions from the very beginning and hopefully we won't ever have to CIO.

CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • You're spoiled. :)  DD1 didn't sttn until 6 mos and we didn't do any sleep training.  DD2 was a pleasant suprise sttn at 8 weeks!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yep, I'm thinking I'm spoiled too....

I do know he is too young for any sleep training, but if I need to do it when he's 6 months old, I will.

I know he is still way young, but how do you know if DC is waking out of habit or waking to feed?  I'm obviously not going to not feed him, however, despite everything I've read about babies not overeating that is not the case with my son.  He will eat no matter what and then spit up if he truly DID overeat.  Soooo....I'm sort of wondering how I'll know whether he's hungry or just getting up because he knows I'll come in for him...

DD just dropped that 2am bottle on her own and never needed it again.  DS is a big boy...13 lbs. 3 oz.  I know this is much bigger than what DD was at this age.

• imageHilabeanz:

I know he is still way young, but how do you know if DC is waking out of habit or waking to feed?  I'm obviously not going to not feed him, however, despite everything I've read about babies not overeating that is not the case with my son.  He will eat no matter what and then spit up if he truly DID overeat.  Soooo....I'm sort of wondering how I'll know whether he's hungry or just getting up because he knows I'll come in for him...

My peds told me that my kids were waking out of habit at their 9 month visit. Before then, they tell me to feed on demand. At their 9 month visit, my ped told me that I could cut their nighttime feedings if I wanted. I didn't have the heart to do it though for any of my kids. I just let them decide when they were ready, even though I knew it was habit. 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"