Pregnant after 35
Options

Anyone else getting a toddler bed?

DS will be just 2 when the baby comes, so I thought he could use a toddler bed. Both children will have to sleep in the same room, so a toddler bed would fit great vs. a twin.  Also, we plan on not finding out the sex of the baby.  I guess if it is a boy then we can get bunk beds later. 

What do you think, toddler bed or twin bed with guardrails?  Since there seems to be more 2nd & 3rd time moms here, I'd appreciate your advice!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone else getting a toddler bed?

• Options

We moved ds when he turned 2 (he's 4 now). He went straight into a twin. To make the transition easier, we put the mattress on the floor for the first six months (no boxspring or bedframe). He loved it.

I would not normally recommend a toddler bed - I think it's an extra piece of furniture that really only has use for 2 years. However, since you have a space issue and #1 and #2 will be sharing for a while, I would go ahead and get the toddler bed and use it for two years for each child.

2012 Races: Mar 24: Great Human Race 5K. April 28: 5K for Fitness
  • Options
    We had a convertible crib so it was easier for us to move my dd into a toddler bed to start with.  It was nice b/c it was lower to the ground than a twin is.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We actually just switched our daugther to a full bed right after her second birthday.  Her crib converts, but baby#2 (due soon) will be using it.  If you have the space, I would get a twin.  I personally find toddler beds to be a waste since they outgrow them in a couple of years.  A twin will last longer.
  • Options
    My DS will be 3 a month after LO is born, and we plan on putting DS in a toddler bed because they will be sharing a room and space is an issue. We will transition him a few months before LO's due date to give him enough time to adjust. I can see why people would say that going straight to a twin makes sense financially, but with us it is a space issue. Plus I saw some cute wood frame toddler beds at Walmart for $58. And he will use it for a few years so it doesn't seem to unreasonable to me.
  • Options
    mwdmwd member

Thanks, Ladies! I do think I am going to go with a toddler bed due to space and since we won't find out the sex until the baby is here. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't think you'll be disappointed given your space issue.  We also got a toddler bed when DD#1 was about 2...that was about 6 months after DD#2 arrived.  It worked out great.  Once the younger was was old enough, we got her a toddler bed too.  They just recently moved into twin beds and love them so much!  It was a nice transition from crib to toddler bed to big girl bed.  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"