Detroit Babies

homemade baby food

I posted a similar post last week....but i was curious to see if anyone else on this board has done/attempted homemade baby food...taking any and all suggestions! im a little overwhelmed with having done so much research..and I guess Im wanting more "from experience" kind of info....

TIA~

Angie

Re: homemade baby food

• I have just started. We have done Avacado, Butternut Squash, and Banana. I really like it so far!

Have you seen www.wholesomebabyfood.com? It's a fabulous resource. I also have the book 101 Baby Food Purees or something like that. Love it. 

• I definitely 2nd www.wholesomebabyfood.com (not sure if it was your post or not last week where I suggested it)!  I made all of DS's baby food & plan to again w/ the new baby.  What I found to work best was to buy ice cube trays & pour the purees in to them to freeze.  Once frozen, pop them out & put in a freezer bag.  I didn't have a baby food steamer or anything- just steamed the veggies/fruit in a pot.  It can actually be fun.  I do remember reading somewhere that it was actually cheaper to just buy jarred applesauce, so I never made homemade just gave him organic.

ETA- It can definitely be overwhelming!  Perhaps made a meal plan of what you plan on feeding your DC & just take it one day @ a time.  I *think* you're supposed to feed one food for several days to watch for allergic reactions so it's not like you have to make yourself crazy by thinking that you have to make a ton of different purees @ once.  Plus, you'll make quite a few cubes of puree.  And then once you've gone through all the different fruits & veggies, you can come up w/ different combinations.  Oh- when you know what you're going to be feeding DC that day, just take the cubes out of the freezer in the morning to thaw out. 

• Loading the player...
  • I plan on making baby food to. Thanks for the tips Stef.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I made my own baby food, and still do. It is overwhelming. I have to say that at first I really enjoyed it, but it is getting to be more and more difficult. I'm thankful he's starting to eat more food that we eat. 

I used the https://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/ site. It was a great resource!  I didn't have a baby steamer, I just used the pots at home.  I agree w/ stef, just take it one day at a time, or a meal at a time.  I made all butternut squash one evening, then tackled something else another evening.  I also just used a blender to mix it together. I put it in ice cube trays and them popped them out and put them in ziploc bags.  It's not too bad!  I think it was healthy for DS and i knew what he was eating. 

Good luck and please page me and ask if you have any questions. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • Thanks everyone! you've definitely helped to decrease some of my nervousness about jumping right into it!! im actually getting excited. its just hard because you can get so conflicting information on what to start first, how much..blah blah blah...the more research i do the more i get a little worked up! hehe.  relax & breath. hehe thanks again. OH...so i have a question, once you introduce a new food, i.e. lets say im giving sweet potatoes..then you have to wait like 3-7days, in the mean time can you keep giving sweet potatoes, or are they suggesting to give it once, then wait 3-7 days...?
  • I'm also planning on making my own baby food. We eat a lot of fruits and vegetables anyway so we always have something on hand. Why not make a little extra and puree some of it? Sweet potatoes would be another idea, also peaches. You can also buy small Ziploc containers (that you use for salad dressing if you take a salad to work or something). Those would work, too.
  • You keep giving the sweet potatoes for those days.  That way you can watch for reactions as you're giving it to DC.  Then, once it's been a few days, try another food & do the same thing. 

Also, I wanted to add that I had bought a food processor when I first started making purees but didn't like the texture it always gave (or maybe it was just because I had bought a mini one?), so I ended up getting one of those hand mixers & it worked fabulously!  And there's a great book called Super Baby Food that I used, along w/ the wholesomebabyfood website.

• I second the super baby food book.  I have that and loved it.  It is "super" easy to make your own food.  Smile We only make food for DS once a week.  Whatever he is getting low on, we purchase, cook, blend, and freeze.

We also have the KidCo ice cube trays and food bowls.  It worked out great if we needed to take food on the go.

I highly recommend making your own food to everyone.  Easy, cheap, and so much better for your LO!  My aunt works for Gerber and can get us cheap baby food, but even with her discount it was cheaper for us to make his food, including applesauce.

Best wishes!

imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"