Dallas-Fort Worth Babies
Options

DayCare Issue - Opinions Wanted

I'm having an issue with our daycare and am searching for any opinons or suggestions on how to handle it.

DD is the first child at daycare in the morning - I usually drop her off between 6:30 and 6:40am (the daycare is supposed to open at 6:30am). This is a small daycare run out of a church (one of the reasons we picked this one).

The girl that opens the daycare totalled her car three weeks ago and ever since then she arrives to work late at least 2-3 days a week. She's been late everyday this week. It's usually only a couple of minutes, but yesterday she was almost 15 minutes late. I finally had enough. DH picks DD up in the afternoon so he talked with the director about the issue. This morning she was late again and I got MAJOR attitude from her. I was not happy and only felt comfortable leaving DD because another lady (that I love) arrives at 6:45am.

IMO - if the daycare hours are 6:30am-6:00pm the doors should be open and ready for children at 6:30am. The first employee should not be pulling up in the parking lot at 6:30 or after.

I've been pretty happy with the daycare other than this - but if they can't resolve this issue I'm going to be forced to find another daycare. DH wants to pull DH out now and find a new place tomorrow.

After all of that rambling - any opinions? How flexible should we be? My job doesn't require I be here right at 7:00am - but the earlier I get here, the earlier I can leave. And my time at night with DD is limited.

Re: DayCare Issue - Opinions Wanted

• Options

I think it really depends on how much you like the place.  I'd be a little more lenient with a place I really liked.  What did the Director say about it when DH discussed it with her?  Did he/she act like it was a problem the girl was getting there late & that they'd do something about it?

A few minutes here & there probably wouldn't bother me, but having to wait 15 minutes on a regular basis would get annoying & I wouldn't want to leave DC with someone who is mad at me for getting her in trouble.

Married: '06 - Mom of 3 boys: '08, '11 & '14

• Options

I would not be okay with that.  My schedule is hectic enough in the morning with a toddler and traffic, let alone a DC that can't be there or be open when they're supposed to.  I wouldn't be allowed to show up to my job at 8:32.  I get here at least 15 minutes early so I can get my coffee, check my email, and be ready to start right at 8:30. 

Their JOB is be available to take care of your child in a professional manner during the hours that they are open.  And if their posted hours start at 6:30, then they should be there, READY TO GO at 6:30. 

I would be looking for a new DCP.  I can't deal with flakiness at 6:30 in the morning. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Mouse ~ 06.12.08 | The Froggy ~ 02.23.11

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Ditto Totty..

If they advertise that the DC is open at 6:30 they better be ready to take children at 6:30.  Not 6:35 or 6:40.  People depend on that, and I could not come to work everyday at 7:10 and expect everything to be ok, if I am supposed to be there at 7AM. 

I am not OK with that at all.    

• Options

Is the lateness an issue because of her totalled car?  If so, it will hopefully resolve itself soon (especially after you've spoken with the director). 

I would leave your DD there while you look around and check out other places.  If there is another place that you love and that has an opening, then I would think about moving.

We had a money issue with our daycare last summer (they raised the rates and changed our discount) but in the end I couldn't find another place that was cheaper and that I felt good about leaving the kids.  If you yank her out without a backup plan in place you might find yourself in more of a jam then just being late to work. 

• Options

Thanks everyone. We are going to give it a week and see what happens. There is another daycare that I liked, with openings. So we do have a backup plan if needed.

Thanks!

• Options
    imageMrsTotty:

I would not be okay with that.  My schedule is hectic enough in the morning with a toddler and traffic, let alone a DC that can't be there or be open when they're supposed to.  I wouldn't be allowed to show up to my job at 8:32.  I get here at least 15 minutes early so I can get my coffee, check my email, and be ready to start right at 8:30. 

Their JOB is be available to take care of your child in a professional manner during the hours that they are open.  And if their posted hours start at 6:30, then they should be there, READY TO GO at 6:30. 

I would be looking for a new DCP.  I can't deal with flakiness at 6:30 in the morning. 

This, exactly.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"