D.C. Area Babies

8 mos and starting day care

Have any of you had experience enrolling your LO into day care after keeping them at home for several months? My LO just turned 8 mos & I've had temporary in home care for her since I've gone back to work. I now need to transition her to day care and am concerned about how she'll handle the transition, specifically around naps. She now takes two naps a day in her own crib and goes down pretty easy. I'm concerned with how she will nap in an open environment with other infants/nosie around...she tends to easily get distracted and interested in what's going on!

Would love to hear your experience and any additional thoughts or tips you ladies may have!

Thank you!

Re: 8 mos and starting day care

• dear ru,

my daughter started at about 8.5/9m. a few days the week before she would start full time, she went for transitioning a few hours at a time. i planned my day so that the first half hour (give or take), i spent with her at the daycare, playing with her with the toys, holding the other babies, etc. i wanted her to see that i was okay with it. she did a great job, but she tends to have a very agreeable temperament. maybe leave a tshirt of yours with the daycare for her to nap with?

it is hard. hang in there.

kewliegirl

imageimageimage
  • good suggestions from kewlie on transitioning.

i'll also add: babies are pretty resilient. they will sleep when they need to. most babies don't sleep at daycare as long/well as they do at home. but that's ok. she'll probably make up for it by sleeping more soundly when she is at home. i wouldn't worry about it. you are right, she will probably be very distracted by her new surroundings. often too distracted to sleep. and that's ok. she's learning during this time. she's picking up on her environment and learning from it. it's an essential phase.

the first few days are going to be tough for both of you. i wouldn't plan on full days right away. 

also, she's going to stop crying AS SOON AS YOU CLOSE THE DOOR! 

it will be fine!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"