Health & Exercise

Newly PG--Broad Diet and Exercise ??s

I believe I am in my 4th week.  I have been exercising 5-6 times a week and eating approx. 1500 calories a day, before the BFP.  Exercise consisted of spinning and running (3 miles) with yoga and some weight training.  

What do I need to be doing now?   

Or can you direct me to a good website for these types of things?    

Perhaps a selfish question...do I really need to add on calories NOW if I am eating when I am hungry and satisfied?  I am finding it difficult to think about eating 500 more calories, for example, if I should be eating 2000. I am just not that hungry!   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Newly PG--Broad Diet and Exercise ??s

• Yes, you really do need to add the extra calories, but 300-400 should be fine.  You'll also need to modify your exercise regimen.  Your heart rate should not exceed 150 during any time of exercise activity.  With both pregnancies, I have altered my calories as well as my workouts right away.  Prior to this pregnancy, I was running 5-6 miles, lifting 4 days and doing cardio and pilates.  I switched to yoga (just be mindful of what parts of yoga you can can't do as you progress in your pregnancy), I kept my running up, but slowed my pace or made sure my heart rate was low, and I modified my weights.  You shouldn't lift more than 25lbs for any exercise while pregnant.  And you should also avoid doing exercises where you lay flat on your back.  It seems like you aren't getting as good of a workout at first, but eventually it will be a chore to even walk on the treadmill!  Or at least that's how it was for me.  Good luck! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Your calorie intake should be based on your current weight and expected weight gain. There are various ways to calculate you needs. The standard 2000 calorie rule is based on a women of average weight of about 130, that exercises 3 days per week and works in a sededary job.

A few factors to consider. How much do you weight? Are you underweight for your height? Other than your time at the gym or running do you live an active lifestyle? 

I can do a more complex calculation for you. But an easy way to figure out you calorie needs if our average weight for your height is to take your current weight and times it by 15. During pregnancy times your pre preg weight by 18. This will come close to your caloric needs.

Example 130 x 18 = 2340

As for your workouts. Listen to your body. Wear a heart monitor if you want, or just make sure you don't get too winded. Run at a pace that you can hold a conversation. If everything is good with the pregnancy you can continue your workouts untill they make you uncomfortable. If you lift light weights ie under 25 per hand, keep it up!! About 16 weeks or so you should modify any exercises that require you to lie flat on your back to an incline position. Give me a shout if you need anything else. Or babyfit.com has some good advice.

Exception... If your into body building and powerlifting or you are taking yoga in a HOT yoga studio you have to modify your workouts. I'm a powerlifter so 25lbs rule is a joke to me when I'm used to squating over 300lbs. If your into these types of workouts and want some advice email me I'll help you out.

Hopefully this helps you out.

Rachel

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks girls!  

Rachel,

I am mildly overweight, 145 and 5'3".  I am a teacher, so I lead a pretty active lifestyle.  

I already have a heart monitor, so I can follow those tips easily.  I am thinking if I eat a bigger breakfast it will help me meet the daily calorie intake.  RIght now, NOTHING sounds good; it will probably be easier when my cravings kick in :)  

• Like everyone said, you will have to listen to your body.  It is so hard to eat when you aren't hungry, but it does stave off nausea.  Exercising is great! I have had two natural labors, and I really think it is b/c I was in good shape.  You do probably need about 2000 calories, but do what you can.  Good luck and congratulations on the pregnancy.!
  • HA!! I'm 5'3 too! I was 155 when I concieved, but I am Muscular. I was eating about 3000 calories a day to maintain my muscle mass at that time. Again I'm a strength athlete and work out of my home I realize what is easy for me is very hard for others. I Sub-teach at the local high school and have coached track and strength training to the footbal team. I have a very good idea of your time schedule and how demanding teaching can be!! I commend you for being a teacher every day!! I love subing, but I could not be in the classroom every day!!

If you question any advice I'm giving you Please talk with your OB. I only know what has been right for me and many clients that I have worked with over the years. And everyone is a little different.

If you currently only eating 1500cal a day, I would assume from the limited information that your were trying to lose weight when you concieved. During the first trimester you don't need a lot of extra calories, but you don't want to diet either. Most of my clients that were close to your size generally gained about 5lbs in the first trimester and a few gained zero. I lost 8 lbs Everyone is different. If you start gaining uncontrolably more than 2 lbs a week for more than 3 weeks cut out one or two snacks a day.

Many women find that eating before they are hungry helps prevent morning sickness and food aversions. I always make my pregnant clients eat about an hour before working out with me. Try taking your multi or prenatal at night. And Omega Fatty Acids are excellent for the babies development.

It is easy to get in the extra calories that you will need. I found that snacking often was the best approach. Right now your body needs extra calcium, and protein. By adding two pieces of string cheese, and a yogurt to your diet you add about 300 calories a day. Adding extra fiber is also a good idea. Your digestion tends to slow down from the hormones in your system. Kashi Go lean crunch has both protein and extra fiber. I've heard from my clients it is good tasting too. (I can't eat anything with wheat so my personal food choices are very limited)  Adding a piece of fruit and 2 to 3 scrambled egg whites would be a complete breakfast. Seems like a lot to eat, but you don't have to sit down and eat it all at once. Maybe try eating the egg whites before your shower and get ready; a bowl of cereal before you walk out the door, and the fruit right before class starts.

As far as working out my biggest tips would be to use it as stress relief, overall health and to prepare for the birth of the child. Your body knows what you need. Do what feels good!! Embrace your curves and softer body. Pregnancy is the most Beautiful time in our lives!!

Good luck and keep in touch!!

Rachel

• Thank you so much Rachel!  That is a lot of great advice and good news, because I am doing a lot of it.  

Some things that I like, that others may like too...

I am eating an egg plus 1/4 cup egg beaters with cream cheese and 100 calorie thins for breakfast.  Today I added to slices of canadian bacon. (sometimes I have FiberOne frosted mini wheats which are awesome!)

Mid morning snack is 1/2 cup vanilla greek yogurt and 1/4 cup Bare Natural Granola.  

Soup for lunch--with beans (white bean and chicken chili for lunches this week) and string cheese.

I think I will add an apple and natural peanut butter somewhere in there.  

Working out today was hard!  And it was hard because I was obsessing about my heart rate!  I did 10 min walking (14 min mile) 10 jogging (12 min mile) and then repeated the two.  

Spinning tomorrow should be interesting, trying to stay aerobic when my favorite part of the class is when your butt is getting KICKED!  

• The best thing to do is your own research.  300 extra calories a day is the common advice from doctors and reputable wesite, etc...

As far as routine, people will tell you it has to change, but that's not necessarily the case.  A good rule of thumb is you can continue doing what you did before pg up to a certain point (my doc says around 6 months).  For example you would want to start scaling back your mileage around 6 months.

Also look out for DANGEROUS sports right away, like downhill skiing, etc...Your joints get looser, and your center of gravity changes so you need to stay concious of that in any activity.  Check out the ACOG's website for more info on exercise during pregnancy.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i am going to let the others do the bit on exercise...since they have given pretty good advice....try doing your small meals...and keep up with your snacks b/c when the nauesa starts (as i am almost sure it will to some degree) it definitely helps! Best wishes on your LO to come! :-)
  • Read Exercising Through Pregnancy by Clapp, M.D. He debunks a lot of myths about exercising while pregnant, and gives some pretty reasonable guidelines. Like another PP, I am a heavy lifter (I was benching 175 pre-preg), and 25# DB's don't do much for me. I've been given the go-ahead by my doc to keep doing what I'm doing, and to use my body as my guide. I still do fairly intense interval sessions. I don't let my HR get above 155, but honestly, my resting HR is 42, so 155 is still pretty "high" for me.

You can also read this blog by a fitness expert who is currently pregnant (she is one of the authors of the New Rules of Lifting for Women).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"