Cincinnati Babies

...In loving memory of my nephew

I can hardly breathe right now I'm crying so hard.

My nephew, Cooper James, was was born last Friday in Atlanta at 27 weeks to my SIL, passed away today at 3:30 pm.Crying

He had been on a ventilator in the NICU, and was struggling to survive because his arteries were leaking all of his proteins and nutrients. His body began to swell from the fluid, and the doctors were so perplexed as to how to help him.

Finally, yesterday the doctors did a chromosomal abnormality test to determine if this could be the reason for the fluid issue. They said the test would take 10 days to come back, and if this was ruled out, then they would recommend taking him off of life support because he is suffering and there is nothing else they can do to help him. My MIL left Atlanta this morning to beat the snowstorm in the South, thinking she would have time to drive back on Monday to wait for the results. However, the test results came back today with grim news.

Cooper was missing chromosome 17. This chromosome is responsible for carrying all of the body's proteins and nutrients. This is why Cooper's body was retaining fluid. The doctors said it is an extremely rare genetic disorder, and that he would not have been able to sustain life on his own. :( My SIL and her DH will be tested for genetic markers when they return to Cincinnati. We are praying they will be able to have children again someday.

My nephew was baptized in the hospital, and then the time came to say goodbye. (I'm very sorry to share details, but it helps me to get this out, because DH and I are just sitting here bawling.) Feel free to stop reading if you wish.

My SIL insisted on being in the room with her son to hold him. This was the FIRST time she had ever gotten to hold her firstborn child. I cannot even imagine...she is SO unbelievably strong. Cooper lived for 5 minutes then passed away in my SIL's arms... her DH held him afterwards.

I cannot believe this is happening... I have been crying for 2 hours. To make matters worse, Madelyn has a double ear infection (her first), a high fever, and a terrible cold right now. :-( I just kept rocking her before I put her to bed, saying how much we love Cooper and how he is looking down on us from Heaven, finally at peace. But we just wish we had gotten the opportunity to meet our precious nephew. Our family will hold a memorial service for Cooper next week.

Thank you so much for all your prayers throughout the last week. Please continue to pray for my SIL and her DH and our entire family, because the road ahead will be so painful and difficult to endure.

imageimage
imageimage

Re: ...In loving memory of my nephew

• Amber, I am so sorry for you and your SIL. What a terrible time for your family. I can't imagine what they must be going through right now. I've been thinking of your nephew this past week and I'm so sorry that his brave story ended this way. We will keep you guys in our prayers and let us know if you need anything we can do here.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm am so sorry for your family's loss. I am sitting here bawling myself so I can not imagine how you and your family must feel. I will continue to keep your family in my prayers.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry. I'll keep your SIL, her husband and your whole family in my prayers.

Photo by Melissa Nicole Photography

imageimage
  • Oh Amber, I am so, so sorry.  Words are just not enough right now........I will definitely be keeping all of you in my prayers.  No one should have to endure the loss of a child.
    Justin Thomas joined us on 8.4.07
    Tyler Anthony arrived on 9.21.09
    imageimage
    imageimage
    The Chronicles of Justin and Tyler
  • Oh Amber, I am so very sorry for what your family is going through right now.  I cannot imagine the heartbreak that your SIL and BIL are dealing with.  That is so devastating.  And to add in the uncertainty and helplessness they have to be feeling over the genetic anomaly.  I cannot imagine their pain.  I will keep you and your family in my T&P.  The healing from something like this will surely take quite some time for all of you.  (((hugs)))  I am so sorry.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I am so sorry. My prayers are with your family.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm so sorry.  I don't even know what to say.  You are all in my thoughts and prayers.
    Jennie Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm so sorry for everything your family has gone through.  There really are no words.
  • Oh sweetie...I am crying so hard reading your post, I can;t imagine the heartache your entire family is going thru. This is so unfair and my heart goes out to you and your family. Everyday is truly a gift and stories like this make that fact ring louder.

Please let us know if we can do anything besides pray for you/your family.

• I am so very very sorry to hear this sad update.  It makes me sick to my stomach. Makes me wonder "why" it has to be and just doesn't seem fair.  Why does an innocent baby have to suffer, and a family go through this extreme pain and heartache.  My heart aches for your SIL, her family, and yours. Prayers to you all.

• I'm so sorry for your family's loss, Amber. What a tragedy.  I hope you will find strength in each other in this painful time.
    image Ready to rumble.
  • I am so sorry.  T & P to your entire family during this devastating time.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I am so sorry.  You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
  • God bless sweet Cooper. I'm so devastated for your family. I'm so sorry.
  • I am so sorry to to hear this. My thoughts and prayers will be with your entire family now and in the upcoming weeks.
  • Oh Amber, I am sorry that you and your family are having to experience this tragedy--there are no words that can express how sorry I am for you, I am bawling as I read this--so, so sad. T&P for everyone in your family as they heal from this devastating tragedy :-(
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Oh no... I am so sorry. I am just beside myself. I will keep your family in my prayers ((HUGS))
  • I'm so sorry for your entire family...this is a truly heartbreaking story.  I will pray for peace and guidance for all of you during this.  
  • I am just so very very sorry, I cannot imagine.

• I'm at a loss for words.  I cannot even begin to imagine the heartbreak your family is feeling right now. T&P for you, your SIL, and your entire family. 
  • Oh, Amber, I am so sorry.
  • I am crying right now for him too.  How incredibly sad.  I will keep your family in my prayers.
  • This is so very sad for you SIL, brother and entire family. I am so sorry I wish there was something I could say that will take the pain away. Thoughts and prayers with all of you during this time.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers image
  • I am so sorry... you, your SIL and your family will be in my thoughts.  I hope you'll find the strength to somehow make it through this awful time...

This might not be the appropriate time to discuss it but I can tell you that if they can identify a specific genetic abnormality in your SIL and/or her DH they have the option of doing IVF with PGD.  Not everyone thinks its ethical or moral to pick and choose embryos but it was specifically created for situations like these.  If you (or your SIL) ever want any info I'm happy to share all I know since I've done it.  Again, I know this isn't the time... I just thought maybe it might be a glimmer of hope in what feels like a completely hopeless situation.. since you mentioned them wanting another child some day.

Thoughts and prayers to you and your whole family...

Hannah

• Oh no - that is just heartbreaking. I'm so sorry.
  • I'm a lurker here, but wanted to say that I'm so so sorry for the loss of your nephew. 

• Amber, I'm so, so sorry for your family's loss.  What a terrible tragedy.  May the little man rest in peace.  We'll be keeping you all in our prayers during this horribly difficult time.
    imageimage
    Photos courtesy of Jen Rose Photography
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am so sorry.  I will continue to keep your family in my prayers.  There are no words to describe how sorry I am.  
  • I don't even know what to say. I kept hoping for a 'good news' update. My heart is definitely breaking for your SIL, and your entire family.

I will definitely keep you all in my thoughts.

• I am so, so sorry for your loss.  I will continue to pray for you and the strength to get through this.  We are all here for you and your family!
  • I am so sorry to hear this.  I can't imagine what your family and SIL especially must be going through.  I will continue to keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No!! I am so very sorry, I can't imagine what any of you are going through.
  • I am so terribly sorry. I hope your family is able to find comfort in each other's love and support.  We'll be saying prayers for Cooper. So sorry.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I am so, so sorry.  I wish there was something more to say but just at a lost because like Klee said things like this should not happen! 

continued thoughts and prayers for your entire family.

((HUGS))

• oh my goodness.  i am so very sorry for your loss.  i honestly have to words right now.
  • I am so sorry for your loss. I am sitting here crying just trying to wrap my mind around losing your newborn child. We had a similiar situation happen in our family (not me, my cousin's baby) and we think about her everyday. Your nephew will never be forgotten.

You will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I am sooo sorry to hear about the lose of this precious little boy!  I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.  I was in tears reading your post and I don't think anyone should have to go through this type of a loss. 
    Our kids are 19mths apart and we LOVE it!!

Married to my BFF on 8.13.05 (after dating 5 years)!

DS born 2.14.08. DD born 9.30.09.

• Oh no...

Many thoughts and prayers to you and your family.  It's awful...just awful!

~Amanda
    Mom to Lily Gayle 4.25.06 Charlotte Kathleen 3.27.09 Samuel Thomas ~8.4.12~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I am so so sorry.  I am sitting here bawling reading this.  I cannot imagine what they are going through, it's just terrible and not fair.  Thoughts and prayers are with your family.
  • I am so very sorry.   I wish your family strength and healing at this terrible time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"