North Carolina Babies

well, now im pretty nervous

normally, IRL, i am the epitome of strength. i rarely cry, or complain, or whine. i dont really share my emotions that much, or things ive gone through. heck, my husband hardly knows about all my health problems! but i just need to get this out. i had my 6 week pp checkup today. they did another pap smear, because my pap very early in pregnancy was abnormal. well, this one was too. so they did a check, and they want me to come in for a cervical biopsy to make sure my abnormal cells arent cancer. i am nervous. i am scared outta my mind. i dont know what i would do! well i know what i would do-i would deal with it. but still. this terrifies me. sorry ladies, just had to get it out. thank you
*The Blog* Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Natural M/C : Arabella's Twin Guardian Angel, 7.29.2009.**Natural M/C : 2.20.2010. 18 weeks. Always Loved. 4 weeks.

Re: well, now im pretty nervous

• Unfortunately, this is quite common.  I've been through this, and so have a number of my friends.

At our age, it tends to be just something to watch - repeat paps every 6 mos for a few years, and then if they are clear, back to once a year.

One of the things I love about this board is that it seems there's always someone that's been through a situation - I know it makes me feel better :)

Good luck, and try not to stress!

Married - October 16, 2005
    Mama to William Nathaniel - October 7, 2006

And Natalie Frances - June 24, 2010
  • imageleonawfu98:

Unfortunately, this is quite common.? I've been through this, and so have a number of my friends.

At our age, it tends to be just something to watch - repeat paps every 6 mos for a few years, and then if they are clear, back to once a year.

One of the things I love about this board is that it seems there's always someone that's been through a situation - I know it makes me feel better :)

?

thank you, i appreciate that...except that i am only 20.?

*The Blog* Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Natural M/C : Arabella's Twin Guardian Angel, 7.29.2009.**Natural M/C : 2.20.2010. 18 weeks. Always Loved. 4 weeks.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageleonawfu98:

Unfortunately, this is quite common.? I've been through this, and so have a number of my friends.

?

• imageleonawfu98:

?

• Try not to stress too much, this happened to me in my early 20s....... I ended up having to have a few procedures (nothing too invasive) to remove the pre-cancerous cells.  But after a few abnormal PAPS they then did the procedures and after that I've been in the clear now for years.  As the PP said, its relatively common.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just wanted to say that a few years ago, I have several abnormal paps, and it all turned out okay.  Like PP said, it's pretty common.  Try not to stress in knowing just how common it is (I know, easier said that done...)
  • I had that too when I was in my early 20's, and it turned out to be nothing. Hopefully you won't have any issues, but it is hard no to stress.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had an abnormal pap smear when I was 21, ended up with a colposcopy (which is where they remove the abnormal cells and that's it!) then you have repeat paps for a while and since you're young- your body tends to recover quite well. I would DEF. recommend getting a Gardasil vaccine (even if you are already diagnosed with one strain of HPV- which is what causes abnormal cells)- it may protect you from other strains... you can get the vaccine up until you're 26.

It's good that you can come here and let some of that fear and nervousness out, but why doesn't your husband know about your health issues? Wouldn't you think he'd want to know to support you and in case something more serious happens (God Forbid!) Just asking... if it's not any of my business- I understand...

• imageYelena1281:

I had an abnormal pap smear when I was 21, ended up with a colposcopy (which is where they remove the abnormal cells and that's it!) then you have repeat paps for a while and since you're young- your body tends to recover quite well. I would DEF. recommend getting a Gardasil vaccine (even if you are already diagnosed with one strain of HPV- which is what causes abnormal cells)- it may protect you from other strains... you can get the vaccine up until you're 26.

It's good that you can come here and let some of that fear and nervousness out, but why doesn't your husband know about your health issues? Wouldn't you think he'd want to know to support you and in case something more serious happens (God Forbid!) Just asking... if it's not any of my business- I understand...

?

he knows a tiny bit, but i rarely talk about it...its not that i dont want him to know, i just keep it to myself.?

• I know I'm old now :)  But this happened when I was in my 20s - and by "our age" I meant, pre-menopausal :)
    Married - October 16, 2005
    Mama to William Nathaniel - October 7, 2006

And Natalie Frances - June 24, 2010
  • Yes, this is actually very common just for some reason no one talks about it.  This is one of the reasons why paps are important.  If you've been getting regular paps the likelihood of it being already at the cancer point is pretty slim.  Most of the time if the cells are mildly abnormal, they just have you come in more frequently for follow up paps-like every 4-6 months.  Sometimes it just resolves on its own and after you have a few normal paps in a row, they let you go back to paps only annually.  I have a pretty conservative GYN and she let me go 2 years with abnormal paps--I was in her office every 4 months but the cells were always just mildly abnormal and then my last 2 have been normal w/o any procedures other than diagnostic ones (colposcopy not LEEP).  Some docs go to LEEP or cryotherapy earlier than others but from what I understand these procedures aren't the worst in the world--certainly not a good time but they do the job at removing the cells.  I know it's nerve racking--I was freaking out the first time I had an abnormal pap but quickly found out this is very common.
    Kim

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When I was 19 I had a few abnormal paps.  I ended up having 2 Colposcopy's which didn't work, then I had the freezing (cyrotherapy) which also didn't work.  I had a cone biopsy where the removed a cone shaped portion of my cervix.  That got all the cells.  I went back every 6 months for 2 years and now every year.  It has been 5 years and no problems :::knock on wood:::.  Don't stress. 

~*Jenna*~

TTC since November 2009.

Currently licensed foster parents with the hope of adopting!  Also pursuing pregnancy through IUI!  First IUI scheduled 10/3/13

Currently loving our placements:

A 1/08

C 4/11

K 6/12

• imageleonawfu98:
    I know I'm old now :)? But this happened when I was in my 20s - and by "our age" I meant, pre-menopausal :)

?

haha i didnt mean anything by it!! i just wanted to hear that yes, this is normal-even if your 20 :) ?

• I has severe cervical displasia 3 years ago, where they removed a cone shape from the opening of my cervix - I was scared and nervous too.  I have had completely normal paps since then though, and there is nothing to indicate it was other than a one time thing.  I would try to to talk to DH about it - I am sure he would be supportive and would want to know what you are going through.
  • Just wanted to agree with everyone.  I few of my friends in their early 20's went through this as well.  Everything has turned out to be fine and they've went on to have healthy pregnancies. 

I also just wanted to say that maybe talking to your husband would be a good idea.  Its amazing how saying things out loud can help.  Thinking of you.

• I had abnormal paps for a long time.  They did the biopsy... then a LEEP.  This was probably 3 years ago.  All normal paps since then.  Try not to stress too bad.  It is really very common.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • thank you everyone. we have talked and things are okay-i think i will be nervous until everything gets cleared up...thank you again!
  • I think it is hard not to be nervous in that situation, but hopefully everything will be fine! Hang in there and keep us posted!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"