Georgia Babies

Reaction to the MMR Shot--prayers needed

A close friend of mine--her nephew just had his MMR shot and is having a reaction--it's actually very serious.  He developed a weird rash and his platelet count has dropped significantly--the pedi believes he has Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura and that is was triggered by the MMR shot (his blood isn't clotting correctly). They have to keep this 18 month old from playing for fear that if he bumps his head it could bleed into his brain.

Keep them in your prayers.

Has anyone else had a weird reaction like this? 

I'm very thankful that I switched pedis recently, because they wanted to give Aerin her MMR shot next week at 12 months--they would not let me delay it...said they would kick me out of the practice so I switched pedis.  Stuff like this freaks me out especially since I have a platelet function disorder that is hereditary (runs specifically through to all the females in my family). Alec was tested and does not have it but Aerin has not been tested.  I'm going to talk to our new pedi next week about delaying the shot until Aerin has been tested.

Re: Reaction to the MMR Shot--prayers needed

• T&P for your friends nephew and his family.  How scary. 
  • Wow - that is really scary!  Does this only happen if it's hereditary?  I assume Wellstar won't delay certain shots...at least that is the impression I have been given while there.
  • Loading the player...
  • In my friend's nephew's case--I think it's a rare reaction to the shot.  It's possible his immune system was compromised when he got the shot and it was too much for him. 

Also--this is extremely rare so I don't want to scare moms into not getting shots.

• Sending thoughts and prayers to your friend's family.  I know this is scary but I hope that they get everything under control soon!
    Mommy to Abigail Elizabeth (11/4/11) and Brady Jasper (7/2/09)
    my blog
  • it is really, really rare and a personal reaction from the shot.  please don't decide not to get this VERY  important shot now because of this post.  t&p were the intention, not fear.

• I'm praying!!  That is awful.
  • That's awful, prayers said!
    Jack 3.5.07 / Ethan 9.17.08 / Lauren 4.3.11 image
  • Kerwin is allergic to eggs which the MMR is made with so he did not get the shot at the pedi we have to go to the allergist and he will get the shot over the course of the day so that they can monitor his reactions
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"