1st Trimester

No heartbeat check at first appointment?

I just went to my first appointment on Wednesday and they basically just did blood work and a pap smear. I was surprised though because they didn't even check for a heartbeat. I am 9 weeks pregnant today...is this normal? She is going to check for a heartbeat in a couple of weeks but I was really disappointed to not be able to listen for it last time! When did you first hear the heartbeat? Am I just getting my hopes up too early?

Re: No heartbeat check at first appointment?

• I didn't hear DD's heartbeat until I was 10 weeks.. and they say that is about the earliest you can hear it.
  • Most times they won't even try until around 12 weeks because the chances of it being strong enough to be heard on the doppler this early are very slim. 
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Loading the player...
  • Whew, that makes me feel better! They said something about the 12 week mark too, I was just wondering if anybody else could hear it earlier. I am so anxious to actually know that there is something in there because my pregnancy symptoms kinda come and go, you know? Smile
  • With DS they didn't check for a heartbeat until I was 12 weeks.  Even at 12 weeks they could not pick it up and I ended up going in for an U/S. So don't be disappointed if they can't find it right away. :)   I think that's why some doctors choose to wait until you are further along.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 
      Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Hope this helps I am 11 weeks tomarrow and they just did a heartbeat check on this past tuesday.They can't always here the heart beat before then and they don't want to worry or dissapoint you.
  • I think it depends. I'm 9 weeks too, and I had an ultrasound yesterday. of course we couldn't hear the h/b, as it was a visual thing, but the technician did point out where we SAW the heart beating. I also think it's pretty normal to not have an u/s right away, if you're considered low risk, and your pregnancy is progressing normally. Don't worry and remember that the majority of pregnancies are completely normal and result is happy, healthy Moms and babies!! Congrats!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Don't worry!  My first appointment they did a pap smear, and then we did the internal u/s and all I got to do was SEE the flicker of a heartbeat.  I guess it's better than nothing.  I go in next week, at 11 weeks, 4 days, and will be bugging the doctor about hearing a heartbeat. 

• Wow. Everyone's posts are surprising to me! When I went in at 6w2d to meet with the nurse, they tried to find the heartbeat and they were successful. We were able to see it on screen, hear it on the doplar, and also measure it. I thought I was just going to do paperwork, but I guess at my Dr. they check everytime you go in, no matter what the reason is for. I went back 1 wk later- at 7w3d with DH and we heard/saw/measured the heartbeat again.

I've also already started feeling the little "flutters" and "quickening" in the last few days. Dr. says this is normal for someone who is naturally as tiny as I am. Same reason you can already tell by a quick glance that I'm carrying LO!

You should be able to hear the heartbeat soon!

• I'm really small too but I barely feel any flutters. Sad When did you first start feeling them?
  • Unless you have a trans-vag u/s they don't check for the heartbeat on the doppler until around 12 weeks.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • imageRunningWife:

I think it depends. I'm 9 weeks too, and I had an ultrasound yesterday. of course we couldn't hear the h/b, as it was a visual thing, but the technician did point out where we SAW the heart beating. I also think it's pretty normal to not have an u/s right away, if you're considered low risk, and your pregnancy is progressing normally. Don't worry and remember that the majority of pregnancies are completely normal and result is happy, healthy Moms and babies!! Congrats!

Finally.....this statement makes me feel 110% better!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just heard it for the first time at 12 weeks- we saw it at 8 weeks, but no sound. It is amazing to hear- hang in there a couple more weeks will fly by!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemommytobe03:

Wow. Everyone's posts are surprising to me! When I went in at 6w2d to meet with the nurse, they tried to find the heartbeat and they were successful. We were able to see it on screen, hear it on the doplar, and also measure it. I thought I was just going to do paperwork, but I guess at my Dr. they check everytime you go in, no matter what the reason is for. I went back 1 wk later- at 7w3d with DH and we heard/saw/measured the heartbeat again.

I've also already started feeling the little "flutters" and "quickening" in the last few days. Dr. says this is normal for someone who is naturally as tiny as I am. Same reason you can already tell by a quick glance that I'm carrying LO!

I'm calling shenanigans on this whole post. It's doubtful that your baby is even moving yet and even if it is there is no way you're feeling it. 

• I had a dating ultrasound at 10 weeks to see the baby, but they didn't do a doppler to HEAR the heartbeat til 11 weeks. Usually it's hard to hear if you're that early, and some ppl aren't even able to hear on the doppler until 2nd tri.
  • imagemommytobe03:

Wow. Everyone's posts are surprising to me! When I went in at 6w2d to meet with the nurse, they tried to find the heartbeat and they were successful. We were able to see it on screen, hear it on the doplar, and also measure it. I thought I was just going to do paperwork, but I guess at my Dr. they check everytime you go in, no matter what the reason is for. I went back 1 wk later- at 7w3d with DH and we heard/saw/measured the heartbeat again.

Um. Wow

• imagechristiecrofford:
    I'm really small too but I barely feel any flutters. Sad When did you first start feeling them?

I wouldn't count on feeling the LO any time soon.. even if you're tiny. My mom told me she was able to feel my brother between 10-13 weeks and that is SUPER early, but it was also a 2nd child. 1st time moms usually don't feel anything til at least 14 or 15 weeks. My baby is going on 3 inches soon and I "feel" like I might be feeling something, but not really counting on it yet.

• My OB just looked at the ultrasound for the heartbeat until my 16 week appointment. That was the first time I heard it, if it makes you feel better:)
  • imagemommytobe03:

haha.  Sure you do.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagemommytobe03:

No, you haven't.  Your baby is still low behind your pelvic bone.  You can't feel your baby.  And if your doctor really told you that, I would suggest finding a new one, because he/she is an idiot.

To the OP, I first heard DD's heartbeat at 12 weeks and I didn't feel anything until 20.  Don't listen to the idiots.

• we had our first ultrasound at our first appointment on wednesday and we DID get to hear and see the baby's heartbeat. I was 7w4d pregnant on wednesday. The baby's heartbeat was 158 bpm. No flutters yet though.
  • imagejegoffin:
    we had our first ultrasound at our first appointment on wednesday and we DID get to hear and see the baby's heartbeat. I was 7w4d pregnant on wednesday. The baby's heartbeat was 158 bpm. No flutters yet though.

Seeing/ "hearing" the heartbeat on u/s is completely different than hearing it via doppler. 

• I didn't hear babys heartbeat until after 20 weeks. The doctor couldn't find it until then.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I heard mine loud and clear at 8 and 9 weeks.
    Expect MIRACLES!! Shocking surprise BFP 9/12/12 After 2 IUIs, 3 IVFs w/ICSI and 1 FET we have been blessed with a healthy baby girl born 26 August 2010! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • My last appointment was at 8 weeks and I didnt get to hear it either but they did look at it and measure how fast it was beating. My cousing got to hear hers at just shy of 8 weeks so I guess every doctor and every woman is a little different. I am hoping to hear mine at my 12 week ultrasound! goo luck!
  • My symptoms came & went too.  It's very normal depending on hormone surges.  And I had my first appt at 9 weeks & the nurse said she wouldn't check since there was a chance we wouldn't hear it.  I just heard the baby's heartbeat on the doppler yesterday at 11 weeks 2 days which is more normal. HTH!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"To be pregnant is to be vitally alive, thoroughly woman, and undoubtedly inhabited" - Anne Buchanan
  • To the OP: I heard LO's heartbeat at 11w3d via doppler and again at 12w4d via u/s. Also, I didn't feel any flutters until 15 weeks and it wasn't until around 19 weeks that I really started feeling any kicks. It's now pretty regular and trust me, you'll know it. If you're feeling anything at this point, it's gas and if you feel that you're showing, it's bloat. Jump over to 2nd tri and take a look at all the women who are 16-18weeks and just now showing pics of belly bumps.

I don't mean to rain on your parade but the pp mentioning early heartbeat and movement is a scam. The science just doesn't equate, check out the size of baby at this point or look at an u/s of someone who is 8weeks and you'll understand why you're not feeling anything yet.

All will be ok and hopefully at your next appointment you'll hear that whoosh of baby's heart beating rapidly on a doppler. Good luck!

• At my 10 weeks and 14 weeks appointments they tried to hear the heartbeat and couldn't, they did a sono and could see the heartbeat. I think most doctors won't even try to hear the heartbeat until 12 weeks becasue the baby is too small before that.
  • Normal.  Some docs try early, mine says he doesn't bother until at least week 13.  My 1st appt at 10 weeks he didn't bother but promised he would at 14 weeks.

I was able to hear it at home at 10 weeks 5 days but I have been trying since week 9 without success.

• I had to get an ultrasound at 7 weeks and like 4 days and they got the heartbeat...But I've heard that 7 weeks was the earliest it could really be heard...any ealier its pretty much a lil yolk sac...
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • imagemarinewifebarker:
    I had to get an ultrasound at 7 weeks and like 4 days and they got the heartbeat...But I've heard that 7 weeks was the earliest it could really be heard...any ealier its pretty much a lil yolk sac...

oops it didn't register in my head that you were all talking about dopplers...I heard it through transvaginal ultrasound...much much different! Sorry about that! But yeah! dont worry--the heartbeats there :)  They didn't check with a doppler until my 12 week appointment.  Good Luck.

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Our first appointment was earlier this week and they did an internal ultrasound. We didn't get to hear the heartbeat but we were able to see it on the monitor. Every dr office does things different so I wouldn't worry. We go back in 3 weeks so we are hoping to hear it then. Good luck to you on your next visit!
  • imageEKate2010:

To the OP: I heard LO's heartbeat at 11w3d via doppler and again at 12w4d via u/s. Also, I didn't feel any flutters until 15 weeks and it wasn't until around 19 weeks that I really started feeling any kicks. It's now pretty regular and trust me, you'll know it. If you're feeling anything at this point, it's gas and if you feel that you're showing, it's bloat. Jump over to 2nd tri and take a look at all the women who are 16-18weeks and just now showing pics of belly bumps.

I don't mean to rain on your parade but the pp mentioning early heartbeat and movement is a scam. The science just doesn't equate, check out the size of baby at this point or look at an u/s of someone who is 8weeks and you'll understand why you're not feeling anything yet.

All will be ok and hopefully at your next appointment you'll hear that whoosh of baby's heart beating rapidly on a doppler. Good luck!

Exactly...

I went in for my first appt. at 9 weeks and it was just an exam and questioning. ?My 11 week appt. they tried on doppler but couldn't hear anything so they brought in the U/S and we were able to see her. ?At 16 weeks we could hear her on doppler, and thats actually when I started feeling flutters. ?I started feeling bladder kicks a few weeks ago, and only just within the last week or two started feeling real kicks. ?Last night DH finally got to feel his first kick... it was amazing.

Anyone that is feeling flutters and showing at 8 weeks is?definitely?feeling gas and bloat. ?Unless this is your 2nd, in which case you will show quicker.

Don't feel discouraged. ?First Tri feels like it takes forever!?

• I am just over six weeks and had an ultrasound on Friday. My little one was measuring at 6 weeks 1 day and it was really hard to even see the heart beat. It was there, thank goodness! But the nurse just barely managed to get it to register on the ultrasound's audible recording, and it wasn't something we could hear. There is no way it would have been heard on a regular Doppler, it's just too small. I have also been feeling things that do feel a lot like movement did in my first pregnancy, but I know it's not the baby moving. What's there to move? It's just a little circle of cells and doesn't have arms or legs or even a spine to move yet. My uterus is moving and my other internal organs are moving. I may be feeling flutters of my uterus expanding, but that's about it. I also already have a little pooch. It's not anything I think other people would notice, but I do. But this is also my 2nd pregnancy and I know what to look for and my body is already stretched out. With my first I didn't feel /anything/ until after the first trimester and I didn't feel movement for a while after that.
  • imagemagdalina.h:
    Unless you have a trans-vag u/s they don't check for the heartbeat on the doppler until around 12 weeks.

Not true.... with both of my first appointments with DD and DS, they checked for the heartbeat at 8 weeks with a doppler and they heard it.  

Every doctor is different. 

• My husband and I went in for our first apt last Tuesdsay.  The technician did the u/s for less than 5 minutes, told us there was no heartbeat, and walked out.  The nurse came in told us we had a miscarrage and had two options: 1-d&c that day or 2- wait for a week, come back and see if my body has "taken care of it".  Never once did I speak to a doctor!  My baby measured exactly to the day where it was supposed to measure.  Never once did they give us any information or talk to us about anything other than scheduling another apt.  We were in such shock and disbelief, we couldn't do anything.  After talking with other women and doctors, we have learned that just because they couldn't detect the h/b doesn't mean there isn't one.  8 weeks is very early to detect.  I wish my doctor would have waited rather than putting us through this heartache.  We go back on Monday to have another u/s.  They told me this one would "reassure me there wasn't anything going on".  I am going back, though, to check that my baby is growing and let them know I will NOT be coming back!  My family and I were shocked they could jump to the conclusion I had a miscarriage without even a second opinion or test.  If you go in for your first apt, get a second opinion before you let them put you through hell.  Apparently, this situation happens to many women (not being able to hear the heart this early), but later on it is there with nothing to worry about.  We are praying that will be our situation on Monday.

• I call BS on the poster who felt baby move at 8 weeks..impossible. With my first I felt baby flutter at 17 weeks and with my 2nd I felt flutters at 15 weeks. What your probably feeling my dear...is gas! Your baby at 8 weeks is the size of a peice of rice...so if you can feel rice fluttering in your tummy..then you have special powers!

As for the heartbeat to OP...my Dr. tried at 10 weeks both times and didn't hear it, but heard it loud and clear at 12 weeks! I wouldn't worry:)

• imageMonicaaGreen27:

My husband and I went in for our first apt last Tuesdsay.  The technician did the u/s for less than 5 minutes, told us there was no heartbeat, and walked out.  The nurse came in told us we had a miscarrage and had two options: 1-d&c that day or 2- wait for a week, come back and see if my body has "taken care of it".  Never once did I speak to a doctor!  My baby measured exactly to the day where it was supposed to measure.  Never once did they give us any information or talk to us about anything other than scheduling another apt.  We were in such shock and disbelief, we couldn't do anything.  After talking with other women and doctors, we have learned that just because they couldn't detect the h/b doesn't mean there isn't one.  8 weeks is very early to detect.  I wish my doctor would have waited rather than putting us through this heartache.  We go back on Monday to have another u/s.  They told me this one would "reassure me there wasn't anything going on".  I am going back, though, to check that my baby is growing and let them know I will NOT be coming back!  My family and I were shocked they could jump to the conclusion I had a miscarriage without even a second opinion or test.  If you go in for your first apt, get a second opinion before you let them put you through hell.  Apparently, this situation happens to many women (not being able to hear the heart this early), but later on it is there with nothing to worry about.  We are praying that will be our situation on Monday.

I hope all is well, but from what I have read finding one at 6 weeks is very early but not at 8 weeks.

Why were you told to come back a week later?  That just seems like a long wait inbetween.

And yes, you need a new Dr IMO.

• Im jus 6 weeks along. Cant wait till week 8 to have de ultrasound and hear the baby's heartbeat. The preg symp keep comin and goin, meanin like I c an feel stuff in my tummy. But if I do somethin fast or strenuous I get nervous. I need to see my baby :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"