3rd Trimester
Options

Short-term disability?

So I called to start the process for short-term disability through my work today...and they said that it doesn't kick in until 20 working days (or 4 weeks) after your delivery. That means we would have to survive 3 weeks without any of my salary (I have a week of vacation pay), and then the last 2 weeks of leave would be 60% of my pay. I don't know how possible it is going to be to live without my pay for a month......I was just wondering, is this the norm? I didn't know...

Re: Short-term disability?

• Options
    Mine doesn't kick in until after a two week waiting period. Then they will pay until LO is 6 weeks old. So they are really only paying for 4 weeks. It's bs.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    For my STD...I could choose for it to pick up right away, or wait the 28 days. I chose to start right away.
    Due October 29
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know with mine we had the option of a 1, 2, 3, or 4 week wait. I made sure I chose 1 week it was a little more expensive but worth it. On a side note I dont know how yours works but with DS I was out of work a few days here and there and they let me count that towards my wait I just had to have work and my doctor verify it was pregnancy related.
  • Options

My STD starts the day I deliver (or whatever day I decide to have it start if I am just unable to go to work) and goes like this:

Weeks 1-4: 100% pay

Weeks 5-6: 60% pay

Weeks 7-8: FMLA = no pay OR 60% (will get if I have a c-section)

Weeks 9-10: FMLA = no pay

Weeks 11-12: FMLA but I'm actually going to use a couple of weeks of vacation so I will get 100% pay

• Options
    Mine makes you wait a week and then I'll get paid weeks 2-8 (c-section)...but only $170 a week.
    Bianca image.
  • Options
    I have a five day waiting period, for which I'm required to use PTO. So my X weeks of "STD" is really 1 week forced vacation and the rest disability.
  • Options
    when I started my policy, I had to choose whether I wanted a one week or two week waiting period. I chose the two week as it was cheaper. So if I end up working until the baby comes, I get paid 6 weeks for a vaginal birth and 8 weeks for C-section. But once you take away the 2 week wait, I will only get 4 weeks for vaginal birth and 6 weeks for c-section. So I guess I'd make out better if I ended up on bedrest for 2 weeks before the baby came! Then I'd be done with the 2 week wait and get the full amount of pay... 
  • Options

imageBianca42:
    Mine makes you wait a week and then I'll get paid weeks 2-8 (c-section)...but only $170 a week.

YIKES!

• Options
    Thanks ladies....I just feel kinda screwed. I work my butt off 50 hours a week in the Emergency room, and then I have to worry about paying my bills and only get two weeks (60%) when I go on maternity leave!!! Oh, but if I decided to not work, I could be collecting unemployment and food stamps and not have to worry about it. Doesn't seem right...
  • Options
    My waiting period is waived if I am admitted into the hospital for over 24 hours.  I also got to choose the waiting period when I signed up.  (The shorted the waiting period, the more I pay each month.  But I thought it was worth paying more and waiting less time for a check.)
  • Options

When  I had my DD and was working, STD didn't kick in for one week...you had to use PTO time (or if you had none take it unpaid) for the first week, then STD kicked in. 

I think it's the norm that it wouldn't start immediately, the variation will come in as to how long the wait is inbetween. 

How long will your STD last?  Does this mean you can take more than the 6 weeks (I assume based on your post) that you were originally planning on taking? 

• Options
    imageShell24:

When  I had my DD and was working, STD didn't kick in for one week...you had to use PTO time (or if you had none take it unpaid) for the first week, then STD kicked in. 

I think it's the norm that it wouldn't start immediately, the variation will come in as to how long the wait is inbetween. 

How long will your STD last?  Does this mean you can take more than the 6 weeks (I assume based on your post) that you were originally planning on taking? 

No...I can only take up til LO is 6 weeks old. So...I go 4 weeks without any pay and then 2 weeks paid at 60%. 

• Options
    I get nothing Crying
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    This is pretty standard.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"