Georgia Babies

You can sell my DH anything!!!

Earlier last year we had two toliets that were running.  I wanted to go to home depot to get the replacement parts but DH thought we should call a plumber.  The plumber "rebuilt the tanks" and charged us $400.  When he told us what it was going to cost I said you can buy a new toliet for $100.  DH said he would rather just have it fixed than mess with trying to fix it ourselves. 

Fastforward to yesterday, DH wanted to have the air ducts cleaned in the house and the sofas cleaned.  I disagree with having the sofas cleaned b/c we have a steamcleaner and can do them ourselves.  We went round and round about this but he wanted it done.  The two services were to be done by the same company and we had a coupon that would have cost about $150 for both.  DH called me at work yesterday to tell me the company said it would be $400 to clean the ducts b/c they needed to be deep cleaned and they sold him some sort of filter that never has to be replaced.  WHAT!!  Then he said the sofas would be $100 to clean.  When I asked him why he didn't know.  I insisted that he find out why and told him the sofas have scotchgaurd on them and they don't need it again if that is what they are doing.  Come to find out they told him they needed to be "deep cleaned".  What a bunch of crap.  I am so mad b/c I feel like DH just wasted $500 for nothing!! 

Thanks for letting me vent!!!!  Do you think $400 to have your air ducts cleaned is crazy?  Or am I overreacting? 

photo bigsister032_zps1fdfe81e.jpgLilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: You can sell my DH anything!!!

• Count your blessings!!  OMG I am sooooo jealous of you.  My DH won't let me hire out services on ANYTHING.  He INSISTS on doing everything himself no matter how time consuming or marriage-damaging getting a repair done is!!  Its such a headache to sit around with all these half done projects and know that a contractor could have work done in less than a week.  I WISH OH I WISH DH would for ONCE allow me to hire out home projects.  I would be in HEAVEN.  You are sooooo lucky.....
  • :) I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.  I just hate feeling like we have been taken advantage of. 

photo bigsister032_zps1fdfe81e.jpgLilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • OMG, this is so my DH.  I really don't like to let him be at home for any repairs... it's way too dangerous.  I swear those repairmen get $$ in their eyes when they meet my computer geek of a husband.  Of course, I can't talk since I totally got swindled on our most recent car repair...

• imageMrs. Theobald:

:) I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.  I just hate feeling like we have been taken advantage of. 

I would pay money to let someone take advantage of me at this point as a surcharge.  Ugh.  The incomplete and not even started yet projects are grinding my last nerve.

• $400 for air duct cleaning is pretty average.  We had this done before Harrison was born and they were NASTY.  Well worth it IMO.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersbr> Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • The grass is definitely always greener on the other side! DH refuses to get help on projects and have pros come in and do anything. We have problems with our pipes and have had issues since Christmas but him and FIL insist they can fix it. Yet, it's now the end of January and still no solution. I'd happily trade and be taken advantage of!
    Derek 6.30.09 & Parker 4.1.11
    Family
  • imagemrsd0907:
    The grass is definitely always greener on the other side! DH refuses to get help on projects and have pros come in and do anything. We have problems with our pipes and have had issues since Christmas but him and FIL insist they can fix it. Yet, it's now the end of January and still no solution. I'd happily trade and be taken advantage of!
    this is us. So frustrating!
  • How often are you supposed to get your air ducts cleaned? We've never had it done. We've lived in our house 4 years.
  • I think you definitely did get taking. Most of those air duct places use the bait and switch. I know we had them at our old house...on a $99 whole house duct cleaning.  I think it ended up being like 300-400 before they left. I hated it, feel so yucky and swindled. I totally agree w/ you, sounds like your DH - while nice that he insists on using the pro's, really gets easily suckered in. Same as
  • I think you definitely did get taking. Most of those air duct places use the bait and switch. I know we had them at our old house...on a $99 whole house duct cleaning.  I think it ended up being like 300-400 before they left. I hated it, feel so yucky and swindled. I totally agree w/ you, sounds like your DH - while nice that he insists on using the pro's, really gets easily suckered in. Same as my
  • I think you definitely did get taking. Most of those air duct places use the bait and switch. I know we had them at our old house...on a $99 whole house duct cleaning.  I think it ended up being like 300-400 before they left. I hated it, feel so yucky and swindled. I totally agree w/ you, sounds like your DH - while nice that he insists on using the pro's, really gets easily suckered in. Same as my DH
  • Yes, $400 is high.

My DH is no longer allowed to hire or be here when someone comes to fix something.  He is grounded forever when it comes to this stuff.

• You ladies just don't know how good you have it...

It confounds me that I married the tightest wad in the universe.

• yoiu can buy a kit at home depot for the ducts too.  it is super easy, you attach the thing to a power drill.  DH does our dryer duct every few months.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"