North Carolina Babies

If you have two LOs, bedtime ?

How do you tackle bedtime with two LOs?  Are their bedtimes staggered?  Does one of you tackle bedtime for one LO and the other do bedtime for the other?  I'm at a loss for how to make this work with two, and am feeling pretty run ragged with bedtime lately.

We've gotten ourselves in the situation where Natalie will only "let" me do her bedtime routine.  DH gives her a bath but then everything after is me (pjs, books, rocking/songs, getting her in bed).  If we try to switch, she has a horrible meltdown and cries through the whole process.  At the same time Natalie starts her bedtime routine, Claire typically wakes up and wants to be nursed and then put to bed for her "bedtime".  DH gives her a bath while I'm working with Natalie but after that Claire then has a meltdown if I'm not the one holding her etc.  I'm exhausted and starting to hate bedtime.  I'm thinking we need to just go through a night or two of Natalie having a breakdown to get her to work through the idea of DH putting her to bed so we can start switching off vs. me doing everything.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: If you have two LOs, bedtime ?

• imageraceyrae:
      I'm thinking we need to just go through a night or two of Natalie having a breakdown to get her to work through the idea of DH putting her to bed so we can start switching off vs. me doing everything.

I think this is probably your best option. We switch kids sometimes, but usually DH does bath and then I do PJs for both. DH reads to Brooks while I nurse Caroline. When she weans we will all sit together to read before bed.

image AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***Baby #3: BFP Mother

• imageraceyrae:
      I'm thinking we need to just go through a night or two of Natalie having a breakdown to get her to work through the idea of DH putting her to bed so we can start switching off vs. me doing everything.

Agreed - she may hate it, but you can't wear yourself thin by trying to do it all.  I just did it the past two nights and I am beat.  Both girls go to bed at the same time, around 7:30.  DH takes C up for a bath around 6:50 and K and I stay down here as she gets her milk and medicine.  We join him upstairs.  Sometimes K wants to bathe with C, sometimes she just wants to watch.  When he is done with C, I take her and get her changed and dried and ready for bed while he either finishes up K's bath or takes her to her room to get her ready.  I nurse C and he reads K her stories, etc. and we both finish about the same time.  Sometimes if I am done early with C, I will help with K, but that doesn't normally happen.

• Loading the player...
  • I agree with the PPs... I think you need to have your DH put Natalie down now and then. Here's what we do...

Both girls get a bath at 7ish. I bring DD2's jammies in the bathroom with us, she gets washed up 1st, and out and dressed pretty quickly. Usually I wash the baby and DH washes DD1 and she gets to play while I get the baby dressed. If the baby needs to be nursed I feed her and DH finishes bathtime and does stories. If the baby can wait I will finish with DD1. DD1 is pretty flexible so it makes things easier if 1 of us wants to go out.

Good luck sorting it out! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"