D.C. Area Babies

leaving carseat in car?

How do you guys handle this?  So far, we've been bringing the car seat into the house and putting him in it to take him to the car.  Then when we get wherever we're going, we take the carseat out with him in it.  But when we go someplace where we don't need/want to take the stroller (like the dr's office), we often just carry him in the carseat.  I find he's getting too heavy for that though.  What do you do? Do you leave the carseat in the car and just put LO in a carrier of some sort?  Or just carry in your arms? 

I'm also having the dilemma of how safe it is to leave the car seat in the car if people will see it in there and try to steal it?  What's your experience?

Re: leaving carseat in car?

• it's never once crossed my mind that someone would steal the carseat out of our car. just make sure you lock your car :-)

I think you just need to do whatever you are most comfortable with--there's no right or wrong here. if it's more convenient to carry him without the carseat, there's no reason not too. (Although, this time of year it is easier to keep him warm if he's all bundled up in the seat.)

• imageMrsNJSwimmer:

How do you guys handle this?  So far, we've been bringing the car seat into the house and putting him in it to take him to the car.  Then when we get wherever we're going, we take the carseat out with him in it.  But when we go someplace where we don't need/want to take the stroller (like the dr's office), we often just carry him in the carseat.  I find he's getting too heavy for that though.

we did this until DD was about 10mo old! yes, she was about 20lbs by then but it was soooo convenient! esp if she fell asleep in the mornings on the way to grandma's, I would just leave her sleeping in the seat.

in the winter we used the bundle-me and was perfect, I'd hate to have to take the baby out in this cold. Plus at your LO's age, he is probably not able to hold up his head on his own yet so you have to carry him carefully and in both arms.

• Loading the player...
  • I do whatever - Yesterday at the peds office I got a close parking space so I just used the bucket...

We bring the car seat in so we can bundle him up and he isn't getting in to a cold car seat.  

Just do whatever - no right or wrong. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You'll be leaving the carseat in the car when you move to a convertible carseat anyway, so why not start now and save yourself the backache?  I stopped carrying DS around in the carseat when he was 4ish months old because it was too difficult to lug places (and he was a skinny baby).
  • I lugged DS around in his carseat until we switched to his convertible car seat around 7ish months old.  Yes, it was heavy, but I counted it as an upper body workout.  I didn't change until then because I didn't want to have to carry him out in the cold. He couldn't wear a heavy coat in his seats to make sure he was safely protected from crashes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC #1 Cycle #18 m/c Jan. 9, 2007, chemical pg May 4, 2007, methotrexate shot Oct. 5, 2007--m/c Oct. 9, 2007, IUI Nov. 17, 2007 It worked! beta 11/30 & 12/6 TTC #2 Cycle #5 IUI July 20, 2009 -BFN 8-3-09 Cycle #6 IUI August 17, 2009-BFP! 8-31-09, beta 9-1-09, 9-8-09, saw the H/B 9-22-09 EDD 5-10-10
  • We used the stroller frame until we switched him into the convertible carseat.  It was smaller and lighter weight than the travel system stroller, and was quick and easy to just click him in and out.  And I agree that this time of year, it's easier to keep baby warm all bundled in the carseat.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"