1st Trimester
Options

Chiropractor?

I have been trying to find out some info online about chiropractors and being pregnant. Before I was pregnant, I would go to the chiropractor often. I have a hip that is always out of place. I haven't went since I got pregnant and I really need to go now. My hip is out of place again and I am having trouble walking, bending over and sleeping. I live in a really small town where everybody knows everybody's business. I haven't told everyone about being pregnant yet, since it is so early. I don't want to tell my chiropractor that I am pregnant until I absolutely have to. His wife has the biggest mouth in town. I know he would tell her and then she would tell everyone. Even though the doctor-patient confidentiality. So I am wondering how far along in pregnancy is regular chiropractic not safe. Can I go now and not worry about hurting the baby? Or do I hold off or just tell him anyway knowing that everyone will find out?
image image

Re: Chiropractor?

• Options

I go often, and it is safe, but I think it's very important for you to tell him that you're pregnant.

My chiropractor has a special pillow with a pregnant belly mold indentation to support and cushion baby.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

You HAVE to tell your chiro. They adjust you differently, and use different treatments. Its VERY important, especially in first tri.

If you know he will break patient-doc confidentiality, I suggest traveling to another town to find someone who won't. Or suing for a college fund for LO if he opens his mouth (I kid, I kid).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I see one.  My chiro is also certified in the Webster technique.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Go, and tell him. Tell his specifically that this falls under doctor-patient confidentiality and you have told NO ONE so you ask that he not tell a single person, including his wife and staff members. Emphasize that you've told no one, and that it is very important to you that word not get out.

And yes, someone was joking, but violating doctor-patient confidentiality is not ok. I wouldn't sue over this, but I would report him. Emphasize in a polite way that you'll hold him responsible if word gets out. 

• Options
    I go to the chiro monthly.  I have some arthritis and a reverse curve of my upper spine/neck.  As long as you tell the doctor, they should have been trained in school how to safely treat pregnant women and you'll be fine.
    Anniversary Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers

~Started TTC 2/09. BFP #1 11/09. EDD 8/7/10. DS born 8/7/10.~
    ~Surprise BFP #2 5/11 while still BF'ing. Natural M/C @ 7w3d.~
    ~BFP #3 8/11. EDD 4/24/12. Heavy bleeding episodes from a lost twin. DD born 4/14/12.~
    ~Started TTC 2/13. BFP #4 3/13. EDD 11/8/13. Hoping for smooth sailing!~
  • Options

You have to tell him because they adjust differently when you are PG. There are certain techniques he shouldn't be using. If you don't trust the patient confidentiality, I would switch chiro's.

My chiro also see's my IL's and I made him promise to keep a secret. So far so good.

• Options

Absolutely tell him and absolutely keep going! I found an awesome chiropractor with my last pregnancy--she specializes in pregnant women and children.  She helped me so much last time and I only saw her towards the end. This time (and I'm already seeing her for a neck problem), she is helping to keep me aligned right from the very beginning.

Perhaps when you tell him you can make it known that you want no one to know yet.  Also, his breaking the dr/pt confidentiality even with his wife, is a big deal.

• Options
    Chiropractic is fantastic and very helpful during pregnancy.  Many chiropractors are now trained to do prenatal chiropractic.  It isn't usually very different early on, but later can be very helpful for the strain that a growing belly puts on the back, neck, shoulders and hips.  When you tell your Dr it is part of your protected health information and he can't share it with anyone else.  But it is essential that the doc is aware that your pregnant.  I have similar hip problems and it's been very helpful for me to continue seeing my chiropractor.  Good luck and I hope you get to feeling better.
  • Options

I go often-

you really HAVE to tell your doctor. That is too important not to.

I went to the chiro all the way up to the end of my last pregnancy- was a life saver.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

My sister is a chiropractor. She always advises her clients to let her know ASAP if they are pregnant. It makes a big difference on the adjustments they perform.

I think it stinks that you can't trust your doctors office enough to continue medical care, without the entire town knowing your business. I can relate we live in a town of about 3000. Luckily, I travel into Houston (about 45 mins) away for all my medical care.

Good Luck!

• Options

imagelrachelle80:
    My chiropractor actually said he doesn't change anything at this point and that the baby is well insulated from any adjustments he is making at this point.  When my belly is bigger he'll adjust the table to accommodate it.  But he's also very minimal in what he does and concentrates more on my neck and upper back, so maybe that's why.

This.

I actually just wrote a post about whether to tell my chiropractor I'm pregnant... even though I just found out last week, and it was a unanimous yes.  So I told him yesterday, and he said he won't be changing anything in the way he adjusts until I start showing anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"