Georgia Babies

Baby Boy is here! Need some advice :)

Our first bundle of joy is finally here! His due date was Jan 18th but, I wasn't even dilated going into my doctor's appointment that day. My doctor manually dilated me and said if I didn't go into labor by Friday I would be induced. So, Friday finally came and I went into Northside at 6:30pm and was induced at 7am on Saturday Jan, 23rd. I was at 1cm at 7am and went to 7cm by 1pm. Our son, Jake Christopher, was born beautiful and healthy at 4:58pm at 7lbs 10oz and 20 inches. :)

He's really been a joy--he never cries unless he needs to be fed or needs his diaper changed and quiets down very quickly after. He sleeps a good majority of the day, which I understand is common, but at night it seems like he just can't stay asleep. We have him in a basinet next to our bed and it helps if we swaddle him but, he still wakes up and cries frequently. I'm a new mommy so I feel bad for my little boy and end up getting up with him and sleeping with him on my chest on the couch. My boyfriend keeps saying this is a bad idea to let him get used to sleeping with me and I'm going to regret it. But, if I sleep with him, he only wakes up about every 2 hours to be fed so, I'm able to get some sleep at night!

What should I do?? He's not even a week old, so I don't expect him to be okay by himself but, I don't want to do something I'll regret! Advice??

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Re: Baby Boy is here! Need some advice :)

• Congratulations on your son! At this point, do whatever works! We did the same exact thing with our daughter for the first 2 weeks, then at 3-4 weeks she slept in her swing all night mostly. At 6 weeks she was sleeping in her crib through the night. Just do whatever you want now where you are getting sleep too. You can't spoil them this young! I wouldn't suggest continuing past 2-3 months though, because that's when bad habits can start to form.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I know mine had her days and nights mixed up. We ended up just looking at each other during the wee hours of the morning. IMO this is time is when babe starts to get that your there and he can trust you. I will say that almost every week was a different experience with my LO. I would not stress about a sleeping with you habit this early in the game and hopefully next week will be a different trend for you. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • imagelololoco:
    Congratulations on your son! At this point, do whatever works! We did the same exact thing with our daughter for the first 2 weeks, then at 3-4 weeks she slept in her swing all night mostly. At 6 weeks she was sleeping in her crib through the night. Just do whatever you want now where you are getting sleep too. You can't spoil them this young! I wouldn't suggest continuing past 2-3 months though, because that's when bad habits can start to form.

Ditto this.

• Honestly, the first few weeks are just about survival and enjoying that sweet little bundle of joy. Derek never slept well with us, still doesn't to this day, but he did sleep good in his swing or bouncy seat so that's where he slept until he was 3 weeks. Then we moved him to the bassinet of the PNP. You just do what works until they are sleeping better because you need the rest too.
    Derek 6.30.09 & Parker 4.1.11
    Family
  • Yep, like the others said, you can't spoil them at this age so do whatever works!  Also, if you haven't watched it yet, I highly reccommend the Happiest Baby on the Block.  Gavin never had colic or anything, but I swear this dvd saved our sanity those first few months!  It also has heartbeat/white noise sounds on it and we would actually just leave that playing on our bedroom tv all night.  It worked wonders!

• imageslwprincess:
    Yep, like the others said, you can't spoil them at this age so do whatever works!  Also, if you haven't watched it yet, I highly reccommend the Happiest Baby on the Block.  Gavin never had colic or anything, but I swear this dvd saved our sanity those first few months!  It also has heartbeat/white noise sounds on it and we would actually just leave that playing on our bedroom tv all night.  It worked wonders!

Ditto the Happiest Baby on the Block dvd. Swaddle and Shhh saved our sanity. We also have a sound machine that we've used since day 1 and he doesn't sleep well without it. 

Derek 6.30.09 & Parker 4.1.11
    Family
  • imageslwprincess:
    Honestly, the first few weeks are just about survival and enjoying that sweet little bundle of joy. Derek never slept well with us, still doesn't to this day, but he did sleep good in his swing or bouncy seat so that's where he slept until he was 3 weeks.

Ditto this!!  I don't know what we would have done in those early days without the swing!

• imagemrsd0907:
    Honestly, the first few weeks are just about survival and enjoying that sweet little bundle of joy. Derek never slept well with us, still doesn't to this day, but he did sleep good in his swing or bouncy seat so that's where he slept until he was 3 weeks. Then we moved him to the bassinet of the PNP. You just do what works until they are sleeping better because you need the rest too.
    I agree totally with this and what other PP have said.  Ava slept in the bouncy seat for 5 weeks!  I thought I was going to have problems getting her to sleep in the bassinet or in her crib but she did fine in both.  Right now you just have to do what you can do!  And congrats on your new little boy!

photo bigsister032_zps1fdfe81e.jpgLilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Congratulations to you!  My advice?  Sleep with him and/or do whatever else works for the both of you.  Remember, he's only ever known being inside of you for the last 9-10 months, so all of this being-on-the-outside stuff is probably freaking him out some.  Hearing your heartbeat, feeling your warmth, staying swaddled nice and tight are all reminiscent of that experience before birth, so he's going to gravitate more towards that for the first few months.  Keep coming back here with your questions; we're here to support you on this incredible journey!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"