Postpartum Depression
Options

New with a question

So DH decided to come to my 6 wekPP appt and after some discussionwith him &my doc, I'm starting Zoloft & counseling.  I feel that my PPD stems from pre-existing anxiety. Dr said the Zoloft will help but I didnt think it wa san anxiety med.  Just curious what others' experiences have been. This has all been so hard.

Re: New with a question

• Options
    My psych just explained to me today, actually, that antidepressants are supposed to help with anxiety once they are working to their fullest extent. That being said, I was prescibed both an antidep. and an anti-anxiety med (Ativan) and I'm very glad I was. Maybe talk to your OB about it and see what he/she thinks.
  • Options
    I work as a therapist in the field, and I know that many antidepressants are  said to be helpful with anxiety, as well. From a non-biological perspective, once the biological components of your depression is better managed by the antidepressant, you'll be able to have a better perspective on life and more effectively handle the stressors that are presenting you with anxiety, and you'll have the energy and strength to fully utilize your coping skills and support system. Does that make sense?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Days after my son was born I was paralyzed with anxiety. I thought I was sick because I was so anxious. I talked to my OB and he put me on Zoloft. I didn't really have any depression. I do have a little "mourning" of being pregnant and get sad over that, but it was the anxiety that was the worst. I've been on it for 2 weeks and I am feeling A LOT better. I hope you feel better soon too!! :)

• Options
    i think about this a lot.  i had always considered myself a laid back person who did not have anxiety/control issues, but i realized after the whole PPD experience that i've always sorta had those tendencies and the birth of my son really brought them out.  i was on zoloft for anxiety, and it did help my symptoms. you've done the hardest part - now you can start your meds and start feeling better soon.  that's great that your DH went with you and is involved in your treatment like that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"