Georgia Babies
Options

Need Sleep Help!

We're having a tough time.  Emma's always woken up around 2 times a night to nurse.  She takes a passy, but when she's hungry, she refuses it and screams until she's fed.  Lately, it's turned from 2 times into at least 4 times a night.  I'm dying.  I know that she should be able to go all night without eating.  She seems to be waking up every 2 hours after her first 5-6 hour stretch.  What should we do?  I would hate to "ferberize" her because she really hasn't shown me that she has the ability to self-soothe yet.  Should she??  My only step before that that even seems remotely like it would work is to rock/sing/passy/etc. instead of feedings.  It may not work, but I feel like we should get her used to not eating at night before we all of the sudden stop going in her room to soothe her.  Does that make sense??  Help.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Need Sleep Help!

• Options
    We did CIO or "Ferberize" around 6 months...maybe less.  It literally took 4 nights for my DD and she hasn't woken up since.  IMO, it was worth the 4 nights for me.
  • Options
    I forgot to mention, we tried CIO around 4.5 months.  She cried for over an hour and a half straight.  We gave in at that point and assumed that she just wasn't ready.  How long did your LO cry each night??  Not sure what to expect or what's "normal."
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think, according to the book, that 4.5 months might be a shy too early.  I got the book, skimmed it and flipped right to the chart.  I followed it exactly.  The first night there are precise timed increments, second a different set of timed increments and so on.  I got the book from the library if you want it for free. 
  • Options

I did CIO the Marc Weissbluth method at 10 months.   I should have done it much earlier.   10 months was the worst time to start, once they can stand, its pointless. 

I also ditto what ladybug said.  Its hell for a few nights, but worth it.   It took us two nights.  The first night was an hour the first time, then another hour when I checked on her and woke her up.   My husband had to literally lie on top of me so I wouldn't go to her.  

• Options

is she teething or sick? I would look into what is causing her to wake up before I would do CIO. It may simply be for the comfort of you. You can probably tell im not a big fan of CIO. E is about to be 5 mon and I am slowly teaching him to put himself to sleep, but I never leave him or dont go to him....although at your dd's age that might be ok.

if she's actually eating i would say she has a need that needs to be addressed and it"s not for manipulation. I would check out the 90 min sleep solution and see if it has any ideas.....

The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
  • Options

Ferberize. Best thing we ever did. Even with most of Geneva's teething, after we Ferberized, she slept through the night with minimal wakings.

Sleep training does NOT involve leaving your child to scream w/o intervention for 1.5 hours. Examine your options and go from there.

Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"