Parenting after 35
Options

Follow Up from Allergist

Thanks for your support ladies Big Smile

Here is our Action Plan:

For the world's worst case of cradle cap: Selsun Blue Shampoo (dime sized amount to scalp 2-3x/wk)

Triamcinolone 0.1% ointment (we were previously using 0.025%) twice a day x 5 days on rashes. If no improvement - see a Dermatologist (already made an appt just in case and will cancel if his skin improves). She thinks the rash under his chins (yes, plural) and chest might be fungal. But I was just using Nystatin prescribed for that reason and it did nothing. Time will tell....

For bathing: use cetaphil cleanser. After bath keep skin wet then apply vaseline (she wants me to stay away from Aquaphor as it contains lanolin) all over skin then immediately clothe him in 100% cotton washed in All Free and Clear and no fabric softener (which we were already doing)

in the morning, use Vanicream (another thick cream without lanolin and parabens)

cover hands with socks while sleeping (so he doesn't open his skin while scratching then the vicious cycle repeats itself)

No prick tests were done because of his young age. We are going to the lab today at 2:30 for a blood draw Crying. She is testing for sensitivity to 1) milk 2) rice 3) soybeans

We will stay on the Neocate formula for now and follow up with her in one month. At around 5-6 months she wants a more thorough test performed before we begin feeding him solids.

Today Robby's skin looks 90% better. It's amazing. His skin is milky white, smooth and soft - like a baby (imagine that!). I don't know whether this result is due to what we're doing topically or if it's the new formula. Either way, I'm very encouraged and I know the blood test will give us a confirmation one way or another.

Robert is becoming a regular at the ol' pharmacy. I hope that changes soon!

Robby's Blog

Momma Bear
Big - 1 year old
Bigger - 6 years old
Biggest - 13 years old

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Follow Up from Allergist

• Options
    so glad to hear he's already improved so much! those pics broke my heart! give him some PA35 auntie love from us!
  • Options
    wow. that sounds like quite a regimen... glad that he is looking (and prob feeling better today)  good luck with the blood draw Robby! Left Hug
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Good news! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Glad he is improving!  Hopefully they can figure all of this out soon.  Left Hug

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options
    That is wonderful. I am glad he is doing so much better so quickly.
  • Options
    Glad you have a plan.  It sounds like the allergist is on top of things, which is nice to know.  It is good to know he is improving - hopefully that trend continues!
    DD1 is 3, DD2 is 1.
  • Options

So good to hear.... as you know, we're battling the rashes/eczema crap too.  So far, it seems the Aquaphor is starting to work, so I'm crossing my fingers.

Question for you.... did Robby spit up more since he broke out?  Charlie's extremely spitty this past week.   Not really pukey, but he just "bubbles over" after nearly every feeding these days.

Don't know if it's due to the rashes or the fact that he moved to his own room on Saturday is a little nervous about everything right now.

• Options

Robby went through a phase a few weeks ago where he spit up after every feeding. I wouldn't even have to burp him, just the motion of moving him from an inclined position to upright made it come up - and lots of it! I don't know if he spit up more since he broke out or if it was the other way around. I know the spit up really irritates his skin.

I love Aquaphor! That stuff works magic on my dry knuckles and DS1's chapped lips. It does a nice job sealing in moisture! I'm glad to hear that it's working for Charlie Yes

Robby's Blog

Momma Bear
    Big - 1 year old
    Bigger - 6 years old
    Biggest - 13 years old

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am sorry the little guy has to go through this, but I am very happy it appears to be getting better quickly. Thats the most important thing. Please keep us posted.
  • Options
    Catching up...  It sounds like you are on your way to getting some definitive answers!  That is great.  I'm so glad that Robby's doing so much better, poor little guy looked so miserable in those pictures that you posted.
  • Options
    woo HOO!  :)
    You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

I'm lurking on this board... but I wanted to let you know that my son had very similar circumstances around the same age.  We did the formula dance also but finally went with the dermatologists plan and found some relief.  We also had to do the dandruff shampoo (blue bottle head and shoulders) for super crazy cradle cap. We were told to put salt in bath water  We use Desonate gel (perscription) and CeraVe OTC cream (Walgreens)  We were diagnosed with a ceramide deficiency, although the info of that has been vague.  I know it's so hard to see your LO suffer, I have bad skin too but never bad enough to see a derm  so I feel like it's my fault.  I hope you figure something out soon for your little man!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"