High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

GD ladies - opinions please

No matter what I try I cannot get my fasting numbers below 95.  The highest has been 108 and the lowest is 101.

I know those numbers aren't incredibly high, but do you think they are consistently high enough that they will put me on medication or insulin?

I'm trying to prepare myself for my appt tomorrow.  I have tried so hard to eat right and will be so disappointed in myself if I have to do anything else besides the diet.

Thanks ladies.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: GD ladies - opinions please

• Options
    that's about where i was before going on glyburide, so if your doctors are anything like mine, you will be on that too, before bed.
  • Options
    When you eat your night snack be sure to have protein mixed in.  I always include either nuts or some cheese.  I wasn't doing this before and then the nutritionist told me to fold in the protein.  Since then, my morning fasting #'s have been below 95.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I am in the same boat!  My numbers 2 hours after meals are usually around 100 but my fasting number is between 110 & 115!  It's so frustrating.  What it did make me realize, though, is that there may be nothing that I can do since apparently my body needs food to make my numbers right.  I've tried eating a protein snack before bed and that hasn't helped.  Tonight, I'm going to try waking up in the middle of the night to eat a snack to see how that does so at least my body isn't going as long without food.  Is that cheating?

I'm supposed to call the midwife tomorrow if my fasting numbers don't drop below 100 which means she'll probably put me on metformin to see if that helps.  :-(

• Options

imageMrsKlos:
    When you eat your night snack be sure to have protein mixed in.  I always include either nuts or some cheese.  I wasn't doing this before and then the nutritionist told me to fold in the protein.  Since then, my morning fasting #'s have been below 95.

I have been. :(  It's not working for me for some reason. 

• Options
    imageGherkina:

I am in the same boat!  My numbers 2 hours after meals are usually around 100 but my fasting number is between 110 & 115!  It's so frustrating.  What it did make me realize, though, is that there may be nothing that I can do since apparently my body needs food to make my numbers right.  I've tried eating a protein snack before bed and that hasn't helped.  Tonight, I'm going to try waking up in the middle of the night to eat a snack to see how that does so at least my body isn't going as long without food.  Is that cheating?

I'm supposed to call the midwife tomorrow if my fasting numbers don't drop below 100 which means she'll probably put me on metformin to see if that helps.  :-(

I've heard some people talk about drinking a glass of milk in the middle of the night and that seems to help.  I hadn't tried it yet because I wanted to try everything else first.  I think I will try that tonight though.  Some kind of snack might be ok too.  I really wish I knew! 

I hope your numbers are down tomorrow!!

• Options
    imageShannonL.K:
    imageGherkina:

I've heard some people talk about drinking a glass of milk in the middle of the night and that seems to help.  I hadn't tried it yet because I wanted to try everything else first.  I think I will try that tonight though.  Some kind of snack might be ok too.  I really wish I knew! 

I've been debating about what to have in the middle of the night...I don't usually wake up so I'll actually have to set an alarm (groan) and I don't want to have to get out of bed...haha.  Milk sounds like a good option but I don't know if I'll want to go down to the fridge...haha.  I had cashews last night right before bed...I'm debating about having them again in the middle of the night or maybe some cheese?  What do you use for your protein snack?

I hope your numbers are down tomorrow, too!!!
  • Options
    imageGherkina:
    imageShannonL.K:
    imageGherkina:

I've been debating about what to have in the middle of the night...I don't usually wake up so I'll actually have to set an alarm (groan) and I don't want to have to get out of bed...haha.  Milk sounds like a good option but I don't know if I'll want to go down to the fridge...haha.  I had cashews last night right before bed...I'm debating about having them again in the middle of the night or maybe some cheese?  What do you use for your protein snack?

I hope your numbers are down tomorrow, too!!!

Last night I had peanut butter with a few crackers.  I didn't even hit my 15 g carbs with the number of crackers I had.  One night I actually had a piece of pork loin.  I didn't like it though because it didn't fit the "snack" category. lol.  I don't like cheese, unless it's on pizza and lasagna, so that's out for me. 

We had a dog that usually gets up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom so I'm always up at least 1 time.  I hate that dog sometimes. LOL

• Options
    Don't be disappointed in yourself if you have to go on something! That's 1 thing my nutrionist stressed to me was that the farther along you are the harder it gets to control your numbers with diet alone. It's because of the horomones, not because of something you are doing wrong!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Truthfully, I found that I could not have any more than 10 carbs after about 8:30 or else my fasting numbers would be off. I tend to have some cheese, ham or sugar free jello before bed at 10pm. If I have anything with grains, bread or milk my numbers are high. I take my numbers about 7am and since I cut the carbs my numbers have consistently been between 78-94. Maybe you can experiment with your night time snack and try to limit the carbs.
  • Options
    They have me doing upper body exercises they state that it will help boost my insulin resistance. It did seem to work.
  • Options

imageshiyloh:
    Truthfully, I found that I could not have any more than 10 carbs after about 8:30 or else my fasting numbers would be off. I tend to have some cheese, ham or sugar free jello before bed at 10pm. If I have anything with grains, bread or milk my numbers are high. I take my numbers about 7am and since I cut the carbs my numbers have consistently been between 78-94. Maybe you can experiment with your night time snack and try to limit the carbs.

I thought I was limiting my carbs. lol.  Last night I had 12 g carbs.  But that was in crackers. 

I'm so lost with all of this. 

• Options
    imagenelleebelle:
    imageShannonL.K:

imageshiyloh:

I thought I was limiting my carbs. lol.  Last night I had 12 g carbs.  But that was in crackers. 

Shannon, it varies from person to person, but maybe like she said you can't have a carb and just need to eat a protein.

I've noticed that if you deviate from the time you normally eat it can throw things off; like I ate my snack 1 hour late last night and my fasting number was 8 higher.  I've eaten the same snack for the past week and had an 80 every morning.  So I need to watch when I eat it as well.

I have a feeling that by the time we all begin to figure out the correct diet for us, our hormones will change again or LO will arrive.  Don't get down on yourself!

So it's ok not to have ANY carbs??  I know I'm full of questions. :)

• Options
    imagenelleebelle:
    imageShannonL.K:
    imagenelleebelle:
    imageShannonL.K:

imageshiyloh:

Shannon, it varies from person to person, but maybe like she said you can't have a carb and just need to eat a protein.

I've noticed that if you deviate from the time you normally eat it can throw things off; like I ate my snack 1 hour late last night and my fasting number was 8 higher.  I've eaten the same snack for the past week and had an 80 every morning.  So I need to watch when I eat it as well.

I have a feeling that by the time we all begin to figure out the correct diet for us, our hormones will change again or LO will arrive.  Don't get down on yourself!

So it's ok not to have ANY carbs??  I know I'm full of questions. :)

My dietitian told me that if I didn't want to each as much carbs as I was alloted that was fine.  As long as I was eating healthy foods and baby was growing it didn't matter.  Like today, I didn't use a carb serving (2 instead of 3) at lunch, I wasn't really hungry for it.  As long as you are eating regularly and don't feel the ups and downs of blood sugar, I believe it's okay.

Ok.  I've actually done that with meals but havent' found much that is under 15 g carbs for snacks. 

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"