South Jersey Babies
Options

Scheduled C- Section...

I have to have a scheduled C-Section because of my previous medical history of surgeries, and I am a little unsure about the process. Has anyone had a scheduled C, and what were your experiences? Also, what is better....stitches or staples? And can you request one or the other? I just want to know what my options are. I feel like I am going in blind, since there really isn't that much information in any of the baby books on C-Sections...they talk about emergency C's, but none that are scheduled with options. Let me know. Any information is appreciated. Embarrassed

Re: Scheduled C- Section...

• Options

Mine wasn't scheduled, but I had a C-Section. I had disolvable stiches and I think they were fine. I had a little leakage and bleeding, but I have friends that didn't have any issues. I'm not sure if you can request - I would talk to your OB.

My next baby will be scheduled so I'm curious to hear some of the responses.

Good luck with everything!

• Options

My friends who had scheduled C's (usually for their secod baby when a V-BAC wasn't an option) found out the date well in advande... around 25-30 weeks. It's pretty cool to know your baby's birthday in advance. They usually schedule a C for right at 38 weeks. If you go into labor before that they can always do an emergency C.

Many times a sceduled C is pushed back the day before to accomidate women who were in labor or who had to have emergency C's. A hospital will take an elective procedures (inductions and scheduled c sections) off of the schedule if their census is too high. 

Also, you could show up for the scheduled C at 6am (they try to do it early in the morning so you don't go w/out eating for an extended period of time) and be pushed back over and over and over because of emergency C's. So you may show up at 6am but not go into the OR until 1 or 2pm. 

I had a vaginal delivery so I have no clue about stitches or staples. I'm sure you could try posting on thebump 0-3 boards, all of those ladies just gave birth and they can let you know how the C section went. Just be prepared for some horror stories!

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Well since you have plenty of time, you have lots of appointments to ask your doctors all of your questions. But, here's my input:

I had a c-section due to a failed induction. I had an epidural but heard a spinal is better because you are able to get up sooner. Also, I had dissolvable stitches which were great, minus a little opening toward one end but that may have been due to over-exertion on my part. I'd get stitches again if given the choice though. 

Just find out all of your options and go with what feels comfortable and right to you.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thank you all so much. :) My next appointment is January 14th, so I will definitely go in with questions. Thank you again!
  • Options

I had a scheduled c/s because DS was measuring very big in repeated u/s.  Between DH, the doc, and I we made the choice to have a scheduled c/s at 39 weeks (which is when my doc liked to do them).

My c/s was scheduled for 10am and I had to be at the hospital around 8:30.  We got checked in and I changed and they hooked me up to a fetal heart monitor.  From what I remember, they did some tests, checked the monitor, etc.  I met with the anesthesiologist (sp?) and we discussed what was going to happen.

Promptly at 10:00, I walked into the OR and DS was born at 10:22.  I was in my room by about 11:30/12:00 and DS was brought right to me.

As far as stitches go, mine were dissolvable.  No maintenance at all and I got a lot of compliments from the nurses about my incision ;)

FWIW - I delivered at Virtua Voorhees. 

• Options

I had an emergency c/s because Julianna was stuck.  I *think* I had dissolvable stiches and staples.  I had to go back to my OBGYN a week after I got home to have the staples removed.  It was painless.  I had no issues with leaking or healing. 

I'm sure your OB will be able to answer all your questions.  Good Luck!!

• Options

Hello! I had a scheduled C-section because my son was breech the entire pregnancy. He had one foot up by his head and the other one he was sitting on!! I was not about to risk anything by having a manual manipulation to move him around, so we scheduled a C 5 days prior to my due date.

I went to Shore Memorial in Somers Point. If you are lucky enough to go here you should! The maternity ward is top-notch and all the nurses and doctors were beyond fantastic. By far the best hospital experience I've had.  

Anyway, my C was scheduled for a Monday morning so on Friday I had to go for pre-operative testing.  This is where they take your blood, urine etc to make sure you are healthy enough for the surgery. They also explain the procedure to you.  Monday morning I had to be at the hospital by 6:30a I believe. You are put on a fetal heart monitor, given an IV and are briefed by the anesthesiologist and OB. My hubby was given his scrubs to wear.  My C was scheduled for 8am and I was brought into the OR right on time.  I was given a spinal block (didn't hurt at all really) and prepped on the table (oxygen, blankets etc). Then my hubby was brought in.The doctors had music playing and had a friendly conversation with each other during the surgery. It was a relaxed atmosphere.

You WILL feel pressure and tugging--but you wont' feel pain. You will probably feel some cramping like menstrual cramps from the tugging that stretches into areas of your diaphragm that aren't numbed. Also, they said I would feel them pushing on my belly to get the baby out but I didn't feel that at all.   I was amazed how quickly the surgery went. By 8:25am my baby was born. Because everything had to remain sterile you aren't permitted behind the "screen" they put up so my hubby was not allowed to cut the umbilical cord.  They showed me my son before they brought him over to be cleaned and within 5 minutes my hubby was holding him and brought him to me.  After a few more minutes they took him to the nursery with my hubby.

I stayed in the OR while the doctors finished the surgery.  I hated this part. I felt a lot of cramping and tugging while they were stitching me up and the anesthesia was making me slightly nauseous.  I felt like I was being disembowled and couldn't wait for the procedure to be over with. By 9:30a everything was finished. My doctor had given me staples. While in recovery I kept having dry heaves from the anesthesia. They gave me some medicine to counteract this. I also had an insanely itchy face--which is also from the medication. I didn't know about this until much later and so thought I had some fuzz stuck on my face that I couldn't get off.  The video of me and the baby in recovery I'm scratching my nose the whole time! lol!  While in recovery the pediatrician came by to check out my son (he also happened to be our pediatrician), and the lactation consultant came as well since I was going to breastfeed.  I also was able to try to get my baby to nurse here (I wound up having lots of trouble nursing and it wasn't until about 2-3 weeks later that we were successfully nursing!)

Once I was brought up to my room--I think it was 1-2 hours later, the dry heaves were getting worse. So much so that the tape covering my stitches was giving me tape burn and I barely had 5 minutes without heaving. They gave me a different medicine to counteract this and that medicine rendered me nearly unconcious the entire day.  I was in a sleepy stupor and missed most of the first day with my son!! The medicine didn't really wear off until the evening when I was really able to start enjoying my baby.

For me the pain was not so bad. I didn't really need any of the heavy duty medicine until the next day and then only needed it for that one day.  It surprised me as well. The nurses all commented on how they couldn't believe I was walking around the next day. So as you know everyone's experience is different. Some of my friends said their recovery was so painful...but mine wasn't at all.  I believe I was also able to take a shower the next day  (could've been the second day) though. Oh-also forgot that for the whole first day I had to wear these things on my legs that filled with air (much like a blood pressure cuff) to keep blood clots at bay. And they also removed the IV and catheter for the urine--which is only slightly uncomfortable.  Being able to take all these tubes and wires off the next day was great!  Make sure you bring flip-flops to wear in the shower and slippers to wear around the room & to go walking.  Don't forget to bring toothpaste, toothbrush & shampoo too!  I even put my make-up on (as I usually do!) Made me feel great after all that medication and tubes. Another big lifesaver, whether you are nursing or not, is the boppy! Bring it with you to the hospital! Helps with holding the baby comfortably..which reminds me that you should also bring your own pillow (put a pattern pillowcase on it so the staff dont accidentally take your pillow when they change your linens!) Hospital pillows are terriblly flat!

I was lucky enough to have the baby AND hubby in my room the entire time. (There was a convertible bed for him to sleep on overnight) At Shore you have the option to have the nurses take the baby into the nursery so you can catch some zzz's. But I didn't want my baby away from me at all.

By Friday I was allowed to go home...and as I said, my recovery wasn't that painful at all. Stairs were the most difficult part for me.  A week later I went to have the staples removed by my OB. Another experience that wasn't painful--much like removing a dry scab!

I'm currently pregnant with #2 due in May and as long as everything continues smoothly my OB says I can deliver vaginally, which is my hope.  Although everything went smoothly and baby was healthy, I hated the experience of the C-section...mainly because I felt like I was being disembowled and then was nearly unconcious the whole first day! Not everyone has that kind of experience though as many friends have said I'm crazy for wanting to try a natural childbirth with #2! Who knows...maybe I will wish I had a C once #2 comes around! lol!  Good luck! feel free to drop me a line with any questions. I tried to tell you all the stuff that no one talks about....hope it helps!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"