High-Risk Pregnancy

If you've gotten steroid shots...

how are you feeling? i'm curious about any side effects- do they blow you up like many corti-steroids meds? of course, if my dr. wants me to get them for LO to be delievered early i will do it I just wonder how they make u feel.

Re: If you've gotten steroid shots...

• I didn't have any side effects like you mention but they hurt like hell! I have never had an injection that was so painful. Well worth it though. My guy was 5 weeks early and had no lung issues.
    PCOS dx 2008 | BFP #1 2/26/2009 with Metformin
    Owen Matthew 11/1/2009 4lbs 10oz 16.5in
    Born 5 weeks early by C/S | Severe Pre-Eclampsia
    BFP #2 5/1/2011 | M/C @ 7 weeks | D&C 5/25/2011
    TTC #2 | HSG Clear | SA 2% Morph otherwise great
    3 failed Femara/TI cycles moving on to IUI
  • Every other post Ive read about the steriod shots are mamas saying that the shots were INCREDIBLY painful (which they obviously must be for most women since I've had friends get them too and my friends IRL agree that they are really painful)--Ive had them and honestly didnt even flinch, they felt the exact same as any other shot in rear would feel (granted I've had to get alot of pokes throughout my pregnancy so maybe I'm a little desensitized) but I would say for most women it will be painful and tender

My nurses at the hospital said the most common side effects are insomnia and the shots can actually cause mild contractions (which I experienced both insomnia and contractions) with the contractions that they caused I didnt even feel them but they were picked up by the monitor that night when I was doing my evening NST

They arent steriods like you would think--they arent like the steriods you get when you are really sick or anything like that--physically I look no different and have never heard of bloat as a side effect

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • It was the longest 2 shots I have ever gotten. They seemed to take forever to go in. I didn't have any side effects.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I didn't have any side effects except I may have felt a little jittery right afterward.  The nurse told me it would hurt, but I've had much more painful shots.  For example, I had to have a shot Rocephine (antibiotic) shot twice during this pregnancy and I thought it was the most painful thing ever.  The Rho-gam shot even seemed more painful than the steroid shots.  Of course, at this point I've been poked and prodded so much I barely even notice anymore.......
  • I don't think I had any side effects, but it was kind of  a blur. The first shot hurt more than the second one - must have had something to do with the different nurses who gave them or the different injection sites. I had to do daily IM progesterone shots throughout the whole 1st tri since I did IVF, so I was used to getting shots in the upper hip.
  • I just got my steroid shots this week - on Monday and Tuesday. The only side effects I've had are insomnia and some painless contractions (maybe Braxton-Hicks?). I was awake from 3:00 AM - 6:00AM Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday nights... but at least I can take naps during the day (I'm on bed rest at home).

The shots weren't that bad. The worst part is that it takes a minute or two for all of the medicine to go in... so it seems like it takes forever. But, compared to an amnio, it was a piece of cake!

• I didn't have any pain getting the shot at all, but like lnle, I had progesterone shots during 1st tri, so I was used to getting shots in my hip/butt. 

I also slept fine, the only side effect I had was increased contractions in the evening, which it turns out are a normal side effect.

• I didn't have any side effects. The shots hurt like hell though, but totally worth it. I received them at 33 weeks as a precaution because of high BP. I had an amnio at 36w2d to check for lung development and her lungs were mature.
  • I had no side affects from them and they didn't even hurt that bad. It does burn a little but no more than like a fire ant bite, if that bad. The nurse that gave me the shots did say to make sure you rub the area a little while after the shot is given because if you don't it can apparently turn in to a big, sore, lump.  I just gave it a quick rub about 10 minutes after I got the shot and was fine.
  • I got two rounds of steroid shots. I didn't feel any side effects. And the shots didn't hurt any more or any less than any other type of shot. I think you get them in your arm if I recall correctly.
  • I got three shots of steroids in the hospital with my first pregnancy. I do remember them hurting, but really not that bad. I'm a big chicken when it comes to needles and I would probably do it again. I'm sure I will have to with this pregnancy. I didn't have any side effects at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"