Baby Showers
Options

worried about mom's behavior

my mom and i fight constantly. she has put herself in charge of the game/prize related task of the shower. no arguements from me for once.

i am worried how she will be with my friends though. i hope she dosen't embarass me or make me look bad.

any tips on how to curb obnoxious behavior?

Re: worried about mom's behavior

• Options

I would say she has one task, that she can't really botch, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

However, fighting with her is not going to be healthy once your baby is around, the baby will pick up on this tension and it will affect him/her.  You need to sit down with your mom and explain that while you may have done your fair share of the fighting, you'd like to be able to civilly discuss things with her from here on out, in private, like adults instead of fighting.  If she's willing to comply, that's great and only time will tell if it really happpens.  If not, then you might need to reevaluate the time you spend with her and how that caustic relationship is affecting you.

• Options

Sedatives? I am going to have the same issue with my MIL and if her sister comes it will be ten times worse. Unfortunately, I am completely dreading having a shower since I hate obnoxious or loud behavior. :(

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Have as little to do with her at the shower as you can.  Also, make sure you or your friends don't make suggestions to her AT ALL.  If she has control of the games/prizes just let her take care of it.  Even asking to help could set her off if she is stressed.

Like the other pp said...have a talk with her before the baby is born (maybe even before the shower) and try to make an agreement to discuss things rather than argue things and not make the discussions heated. 

Also, for you...let go of the little things that really don't matter.  They might irritate you at the moment but a week out you won't even remember the incident.  Sometimes it is just easier to agree to go along and then just do what you think is best (this is if she gives you constant advice).  She probably really is just trying to help.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"