Special Needs
Options

Multicystic Dysplastic Kidney

I was wondering if any of you have a baby/child with this condition and what your experiences were. My baby was diagnosed when I was 22 weeks during the anatmy scan. He is now almost 3 1/2 months and we have our second urology ultrasound/consult appointment coming up soon. The first one was at 5 weeks and they found no kidney tissue what-so-ever, which was shocking because they thought it could have been just an obstruction at my last peri appointment 9 weeks before... I just don't know what to expect this next time since the kidney had obviously changed drastically in that short time. Thanks!

Re: Multicystic Dysplastic Kidney

• Options

Hi, My DS has this also in his right Kidney. He has been through numerous tests because of this and he also has Hydronephrosis of the left kidney. So he has had a VCUG, 2 - Mag 3 kidney scans, and several ultrasounds. and is a little over 4 months old. He is also on antibiotics and will be for the entire first year of his life to keep any urinary tract infections away. Did your doctors do anything similar with your LO?

I also had this diagnosis at my Anatomy ultrasound. Most of the research says that 80% of all Multicystic Dysplastic Kidneys shrink up and usually cause no issues what so ever and in a lot of cases they just go away.

As long as the other kidney is functioning properly with no problems your LO will be OK. A person can live a long healthy life with only 1 kidney. They can just never play contact sports, or so my nephrologist and urologist told me.  

How is your LO doing? Any other issues that you have noticed?

PM me if you want to.. Its nice to have some one with the same issues to talk to..

Good luck!!

• Options
    My son's right kidney is multicystic. We also found out at the 20 week scan so I was watched montly. He had u/s at birth, 1 month and 4 months. The 4 month scan showed  potential reflux in the healthy kidney, so he had a VCUG to determine the degree of reflux (luckily there was none). From what I understand, like the PP said, most multicystic kidneys involute over time, so that could explain what happened at your last scan. As long as you keep up with the urological appointments, you should be fine. I'm assuming you'll still need to get u/s even if the kidney has disappeared, as the u/s checks the healthy kidney as well not just the cystic one. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"