Success after IF
Options

Nap Schedules

When did you did you start?

I still see the girls sleeping on/off most of the day. I feel like I should have a schedule, but I don't.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Savannah
image.
Callista
Baby Trail Blog
"Someday we will look at our babies and know it will be worth it. If it was easy, we would not have had our babies, the babies we were meant to have." From Amy052006
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Nap Schedules

• Options
    We just started this week.  I switched to a schedule because I want them sleeping through the night when I go back to work so I had to be better about their sleep habits during the day.  It is working well so far.  They are on a 4 hour feeding schedule during the day.  They take a one hour nap in the morning and two hours in the afternoon. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    2 chem preg, 4 failed IUIs, 2 canc IVFs, 2 BFN IVFs, IVF #5 = BFP!!!
    3/23 Beta #1 @ 17dpo = 913, Beta #2 @ 19dpo = 1724, Beta #3 @ 21 dpo = 3240
    First u/s 3/29 @ 5 weeks 2 days - 3 sacs 6 weeks 3 days - 3 heartbeats 8 Weeks - Lost Baby C, Babies A and B going strong
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Your girls are soooo adorable!
    First u/s 3/29 @ 5 weeks 2 days - 3 sacs 6 weeks 3 days - 3 heartbeats 8 Weeks - Lost Baby C, Babies A and B going strong
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Wow, I don't see how you are doing it like that. That's awesome though. I have no problems with my girls STTN though.

What are you doing to keep them awake? I play with them, tummy time, baby bach, reading, but when they are ready to fall asleep they are ready. No keeping them awake.

Savannah
    image.
    Callista
    Baby Trail Blog
    "Someday we will look at our babies and know it will be worth it. If it was easy, we would not have had our babies, the babies we were meant to have." From Amy052006
  • Options

imagefinallyreilly:
    Your girls are soooo adorable!

Savannah
    image.
    Callista
    Baby Trail Blog
  • Options
    imageMrs.Babbsy:

Wow, I don't see how you are doing it like that. That's awesome though. I have no problems with my girls STTN though.

What are you doing to keep them awake? I play with them, tummy time, baby bach, reading, but when they are ready to fall asleep they are ready. No keeping them awake.

This is my problem. He's very predictable these days (eat, play, fussy, sleep), but I couldn't give you a time for anything! I just go with it!

• Options
    imageduke'sgirl:
    imageMrs.Babbsy:

This is my problem. He's very predictable these days (eat, play, fussy, sleep), but I couldn't give you a time for anything! I just go with it!

This is good to hear actually. I keep reading babies on nap schedules and I am wondering what the hell I am doing wrong.

Savannah
    image.
    Callista
    Baby Trail Blog
  • Options

We can't figure out a nap schedule either.  She sleeps when she's tired.  It's especially hard now that I'm back to work.  I think they try to get them on a schedule at daycare, but we definitely don't have one at home.  She does nap every day when we pick her up from daycare, but it's a pretty short one. 

She still goes to bed at her regular time, so I think the nap schedule will work itself out when she gets a little older.  At least I hope!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

What time is bedtime? I can't get the girls down any earlier than 11. They won't sleep without that last bottle.

Savannah
    image.
    Callista
    Baby Trail Blog
  • Options
    imageMrs.Babbsy:

Neither of ours sleep though the night so I thought it was worth a try to get them on a schedule.  They do sometimes fall asleep before their scheduled naptime and I let them go if it is within 15-20 minutes of it but I get them up when they are suppose to wake up.  I find that it takes more work now because I have to be constantly playing or entertaining to make sure they don't fall asleep. 

Last night was the best night of sleep I have had in ages and DH wasn't even home - so it looks like it is starting to work now.  I start their bed time routine of feeding and reading/rocking at 9 and they are usually down and sleeping by 9:40.  They both get up around 3:15 so I give them a bottle and I am slowly cutting back the amount I give them to start cutting it out completely.  They wake up around 7:30-8:00 am.

• Options

I let C and L make their own schedule but it seems to be similar each day. After about 2 hours of being awake one starts to get tired and cranky. At that point I swaddle and rock them and put them in their cribs. They usually take 3 naps a day - two 40 minute or so and one about an hour and a half.The exact timing though depends on what time they wake up.

I'm currently trying to move up their bedtime, but in the past a typical day would be:

7:00 am - wake up
    9:30 - 10:15 am - nap
    12:30 - 1:15 am - nap
    3:00 - 4:30 am - nap
    7:00 pm - babies usually doze for a bit in the swing or boppy before baths/bottles
    9:00 - bed
    3:00 am - wake for bottle

• Options
    imageMrs.Babbsy:

What time is bedtime? I can't get the girls down any earlier than 11. They won't sleep without that last bottle.

That's a really late bedtime for their age. What time are they up for the day? They may be sleeping so much and so erratically during the day because they're not getting enough sleep at night.

Henry isn't the best napper by any means. He doesn't sleep at exactly the same times every day and his nap lengths are very unpredictable (he's only started taking crib naps in the last couple of weeks).  But what is predictable is that he works on a three-hour schedule and he's ready for a nap no later than two hours after he last woke up. It's not a strict schedule, but it is a pretty predictable routine.

He nurses for the last time at 7pm and is typically in bed asleep no later than 7:45pm.  He wakes once to eat around 3-4am and is up for the day by 6:30-7am.

ETA: when you say they won't sleep without that last bottle, do you mean they won't go to sleep at all, or they won't STTN? Because Henry went through a phase from about 2-3 months when he would eat then go to bed around 9:30pm and then STTN until 6:30-7am...but then he kept pushing his bedtime back until it was about 7:30pm. Now he's up once during the night to eat, which kinda sucks, but he's getting more overall sleep at night. You may have to bite the bullet and feed them once during the night to make up for that last feeding in order to give them the hours of night sleep they need at this age.

• Options
    We started *trying* around 5 months, I think, but it took a long time before he was ever on a schedule. James was never a big napper though-- rather than "no keeping him awake" there was "no getting him to nap." Seriously, he'd be up for 8-10 hour stretches even the first couple weeks he was home.
  • Options
    imageMrs.Babbsy:
    imageduke'sgirl:
    imageMrs.Babbsy:

This is good to hear actually. I keep reading babies on nap schedules and I am wondering what the hell I am doing wrong.

This is what we are still doing with Nolan, and always did with Brady. It wasnt until he was about 9 months old that he started taking a morning nap and afternoon nap at the same time every day. But I have the worst nappers in the world, so maybe I shouldnt be giving any advice! But he does go to bed everynight at 7-7:30.

• Options

If we put them down between 8-9 they wake up at 11 and want that bottle. So we let them nap when we get home from work, feed them play with them, let them nap again and then they get that last bottle. They STTN after that. I wake them up at 8:00am if they haven't woken up yet. On the weekends they sleep a lot later.

Savannah
    image.
    Callista
    Baby Trail Blog
  • Options

When my girls hit 3 months adjusted (which looks close to where your girls are) we started on a schedule and routine. I started them on a 4 hour feeding schedule during the day and set my routine by the wake up time in the morning. Here is an example of my schedule:

7AM - Wake up, change diapers, then first feeding. After they ate I changed them into clothes for the day (meaning a daytime sleep and play, my girls lived in these until they started to crawl because it was winter and these kept them nice and toasty). Then I would take them downstairs for some activity time on their mat and about 45 min. after finishing their bottle I would give them some tummy time. After that reading to them or swing time.

8:30AM - Start to get them ready for nap. I would change their diapers and wrap them in their blanket (swaddled with arms out) and then I would carry one upstairs having them back down for 1st nap before 9AM. Healthy Sleep Habits Healthy Child say the morning nap is best starting 2 hours after they wake in the morning, it is the optimal time to get them to fall asleep for the nap and nap well.

9AM-10AM/10:30 Nap

10:30AM Wake up, change diaper some play time if they got up earlier.

11AM - Second bottle of the day, after bottle some more activity time on the mat or swing time if they wanted, again tummy time about 45 min. after end of feeding, trying to avoid the spit up.

12:30 - started to get them ready for nap again and layed them down before 1PM.

1-2:30/3:00 Nap

3:00 - wake up change diaper, feed, then activity time again.

4:30 - short 3rd nap of the day usually lasting until about 5:15

5:15/5:30 - 6PM activity time

6:15 - started bedtime routine finishing up with last bottle of the night and in bed with lights out at 7PM.

Things would change throughout the day depending on when they woke up from their naps, but I tried to stick to this routine throughout the day so I had a good system down. I just watched them throughout the day and the first sign I saw of drowsiness I put them down for a nap, so they didn't become overtired. They pretty much stuck to this schedule until they dropped the 3rd nap of the day at about 6 months adjusted. Once they dropped that 3rd nap I followed the 2-3-4 rule. Meaning 1st nap starts 2 hours after waking in the morning, 2nd nap started 3 hours after waking from 1st nap and then bedtime was 4 hours after waking from afternoon nap. I followed that until they dropped the morning nap all together.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"