Health & Exercise

Need help with running shoes.

So I've been walking/jogging for the past month or so. Nothing crazy just about 3miles a day. I'm a beginner at all of this but would love to do this everyday. I have a pair of running shoes but I get a huge blister on the back of my right heel every time. I wear a size 8-8.5. These particular shoes are 8.5's. I know my right foot is a tad bit smaller than my left but how do I stop this? I've tried putting large circular cosmetic sponges in the right shoe but they slip out. Any advice is helpful. Also how can I increase my endurance and push for actual running? Thanks ladies! 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Need help with running shoes.

• I've heard really good things about the couch to 5k program, if you google it you should be able to find a training plan.  I'm not sure on the shoes, could they be too wide for your feet?  Did you get fitted for running shoes at a specialty store?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you I'm reading up on the couch to 5k now. Sounds like what I need! As for the shoes, they're just reg nike running shoes from Kohls, a year or two old. They're fine to wear as long as I don't jog in them. :( I don't think they're too wide. 

• Loading the player...
  • Definitely agree on getting fitted at a proper running store.

I have the exact same size feet (left bigger), and always buy my running shoes in a size 9 as your feet swell when you exercise.  I also highly recommend socks that are not made with cotton.  The synthetic socks are much better at preventing blisters - most running stores will have these too.  You could also put some running lubricant on the blister prone part of your foot before running/walking, but vaseline also does the trick for less money.

Happy Trails!

• imageilmatrimonio:

Definitely agree on getting fitted at a proper running store.

I have the exact same size feet (left bigger), and always buy my running shoes in a size 9 as your feet swell when you exercise.  I also highly recommend socks that are not made with cotton.  The synthetic socks are much better at preventing blisters - most running stores will have these too.  You could also put some running lubricant on the blister prone part of your foot before running/walking, but vaseline also does the trick for less money.

Happy Trails!

Thanks! I'll have to try vaseline and the socks. I clueless on the specialty running shoe stores. Any stores y'all know of that I can at least google. I know of walking shoe stores but not stores for running.

• You definitely need to get properly fitted from a good running store.  Just Google running stores in your area.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would not run at all until you get fitted for new shoes by someone who knows what they are doing.  Also, make sure you are wearing moisture wicking socks that are intended for running.  If you still get blisters, try the wright sock.  They are a two layer sock that has worked really well for me.  Also, if you get pedicures, don't let them use the stone to wear down your calouses.  You need those to help prevent running blisters on your feet.  Gross, I know, but necessary. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"