Birth Stories
Options

Ophelia Amelie

I would like to introduce Ophelia Amelie who was born 1/11/10 at 5:06pm.  She was 7lbs8oz and 21 3/4" long. 

My body was simply not willing to give this baby up.  At 40weeks my cervix was still rock hard so we decided to try Cytotec on Monday night with no results and then again on Tuesday night with no results again.  I decided that we would just sit back and give it time.  At our 41 week appointment there was still no change.  My cervix was still rock hard (he couldn't even feel the divit where it would eventually open) and she was not engaged.  We had a bio-physical profile and all was great.  Later in the week we had a NST and all was still great but we set an induction date for that Sunday.

I went to the hospital on Sunday, which was 42 weeks, and Dr. Wolanski put in another Cytotec.  This time he did the maximum amount.  The next morning there was still no change.  My cervix had no intention of opening and a c-section was decided on.  I had most of the day to wait before time for the section.  I began having very strong and fast contractions at 1:23.  They were about 2 1/2-3 min apart and lasting for 1 min each.  These went on right up until it was my turn and they were horrible and they made NO change to my cervix. 

I was wheeled to the OR around 4:45pm.  They did a spinal block on me and then Adrian joined me.  I was very frightened.  I asked Dr. Wolanski to not give me the blow-by-blow but I knew when things went bad all the same.  It was very scary.  Ophelia was born in very thick meconium, the worst kind.  Here initial Apgar score was a 3 which was actually good because they were able to suction her pretty hard core.  She left the OR and I didn't see her again for about 12 hours.

They weren't done with me.  I had something called a Placenta Accreta.  That means that my placenta had done more than just embed in the uterine lining.  It had actually grown into the uterine wall.  If we had managed to have a natural birth my placenta would not have dislodged on it's own.  I would have required emergency surgery.  I hemorrhaged a great deal on the table and it took a bit of time for me in the recovery room but we should be able to have more children :-))

Ophelia did not end up having Meconium Aspiration Pneumonia but she did end up with a pneumothorax (small part of collapsed lung).  She was in the nursery for 3.5 days before I got her on Thursday morning as a room baby vs a nursery baby.  It was very hard to not get to have her.  I finally met her for the first time about 12 hours after she was born.

All is very fine now.  We are breastfeeding champs.  At Ophelia's 1 week appointment not only was she back to her birth weight but she had put on 12.8oz from her birth weight.  So she was born at 7lbs8oz and 8 days later she was 8lbs4oz!!  In the pics you'll see that we dyed Adrian's hair pink for her birth :-)
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Ophelia Amelie

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"