Special Needs
Options

Giving into obsessions or special interest for asd kids

All the sudden, and what appears to be out of no where JM has got it in his head that he needs keys, in particular he needs a key to the house so he can lock and unlock the door. This started about a week ago, I was able to humor him by giving him an old key. Since then as soon as he gets home from school he puts it on, he has it on a necklace he made at school. He then walks around all afternoon trying to unlock things. Well starting yesterday he realized that my house key would really unlock the door and he now wants a key to our house. He in fact does not understand why I will not just give him my key.

So for the past two days he gets off the bus, I want a key now, I want a key that will unlock the door, I want a key now, the winning, the crying OMG I am so close to giving him my key.
I think that tomorrow I will go have him a key made, so at least he can unlock the door when he is home, I know that is my best solution but really how long could this last and should I give into his obsessions.

Re: Giving into obsessions or special interest for asd kids

• Options
    OOOH...that's a tough one. My first thought is don't do it b/c it could be unsafe. But I'll keep thinking.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I know breezy that is what I was thinking and I thought when this started that it would be over in a day or so. But NO and to make it worse to get him to be quiet daddy told him that his key would be coming in the mail, so now he wants to check the mail every five minutes to see if his key has come yet..
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Tough one. My ds latest things are his dvd player and daddy's cell phone. We have endless requests for this all day. It was getting a little too time consuming an unhealthy for him to obsess over these two things all day every day. So we limited the time he could use these things. Yeah, he would get upset at first, but when we didn't give in, he realized we were serious. We would always make sure to re-direct him to some other type of appropriate play, which helped most of the time.

Then again, that is just how my ds works. Yours may not operate that way-as we know every asd kids has their own quirks and things that work and don't work for them.

• Options

My DS is much younger, so I have no personal experience. But could this be a good time to teach him about safety and opening doors? Could you put a deadbolt where he cannot reach it, give him his key and tech how to be responsible by always locking the door when he goes out. If he loses the key, he will nto be able to get back in!

Again, this is not based on my personal experience, but I was given a key when I was 6 and I remember I was very proud.

GL!

• Options
    imageSobachka:

My DS is much younger, so I have no personal experience. But could this be a good time to teach him about safety and opening doors? Could you put a deadbolt where he cannot reach it, give him his key and tech how to be responsible by always locking the door when he goes out. If he loses the key, he will nto be able to get back in!

Again, this is not based on my personal experience, but I was given a key when I was 6 and I remember I was very proud.

GL!

Great Idea.. I will work on that tomorrow..

• Options

Auntie thank you so much. I think the locks, keys have become an obsession, it took him close ot an hour tonight to stop stressing over not having a key to the door of our home, He kept asking, crying and saying that I did not understand that he really needed one. 

He was able to move on to something else and be fine with not having it I got him interested in music.

He seems to be really calmed by music that is  his good obsession so to speak. He has head phones in his room and can listen in a bean bag chair. He knows that when he is to wound up that he needs his music, he has a guitar and we have plans to put him in lessons when he reaches the age of six, a few short months.

now my Douglas who has not been dx on the spectrum has the obsession with trains, it is insane. He can tell you all that you want to know about them, collects them, sleeps with them. He has sensory issues but I have never felt that he exhibited asd behaviors, great now I am thinking I should have him tested. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"