Trouble TTC

question about clomid?

I've been lurking on here for a little bit trying to get info. And to get 'the lingo' down. But a post I read a while ago and a post I read tonight makes me need to ask:

Aren't you suppose to be monitored on Clomid?

Is there a 'lifetime' max of how many cycles you should take Clomid? how many? (and if so what's the reason? does it have high rick factors for later in life?)

If Clomid is suppose to help you ovulate, and if you are already ovulating but get prescribed Clomid does that make you higher chances of having multiples (and therefore higher risk?)

TIA.

and BTW, I have DD she's 2- took me 6 months to get pg with her. We've been trying for a year now for #2 with no luck. earlier this month I had a blood test on day 21 and suppose to go back on day 3 for another blood test. Going on 29th for ultrasound to make sure things are "in working order".

Re: question about clomid?

• Yes, you absolutely need to monitor a clomid or femara cycle to make sure the follies are growing as needed and that the lining isn't thinning and to check for cysts.

There is a point where the risks of clomid will start to outweigh the benefits and that is normally around 6 cycles. It isn't so much long term risks more so than damage to your organs and major s/e.

The risk of multiples with clomid really only increases it 5-10% more than your family history already is, and that is another reason to be monitored so you can watch for OHSS.

btw, that b/w on "cd21" needs to be done at 7dpo, no matter what cd that is. Progesterone peaks a week after ovulation and hardly anyone actually ovulates at cd14.

Katie, PCOS since May 2005, Fostering since November 2010 Adoption since December 2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    *PCOS bio* *Cold Hands, Warm Heart*
  • you definitely need to monitor while taking Clomid.  Usually they say about 6 months is safe.  Doing it longer than that...i have been told....is almost no use.  6 months of taking that allows ur body to get used to it and ovulate like you should..and if you go past 6mo with no luck, may need to seek other options.

katieranck2202 is right...it only increases your chances of multiples 5-10%.  But my 2 bff's both took clomid after trying for years, and they both ended up getting PG with twins.
    Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • thanks both of you! Good to know all that. And as for the blood work on the 21st, I actually do O on the day 14! (has to be one of us right!?) lol I actaully had my yearly pap and what knot on day14 (coinicidently) and was ovulating!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"