3rd Trimester
Options

i dont want my baby circumsiced

I read the benefits of both and as far as doing it there really are and i changed my mind about doing it. But DF thinks we should do it because "why not?" even though i have told him why not. WWYD?

Re: i dont want my baby circumsiced

• Options
    I was leaning towards doing it but was still pretty neautral on it. SO felt strongly that we should so we are.

BrittAny Nicole
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We are going to. We've done it for all our lil' boys.  A big factor was that we want them to look "like daddys". I hope that doesn't sound strange. We are pleased with our decision. Everyone has their own preference and opinion so do what you feel is important.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

i'm not having a boy, but really, the benefits arent all that amazing, as opposed to not being circumsized, i really think its more of a cultural thing. you do have to consider, though, what he may or may not go through in life because of it. I dated a guy that wasnt, and though it didnt make a difference to me, he did get teased from his buddies for it. (all in good humor, but i think it still bothered him.)

as far as infections and bacteria go though, its really not going to make a big enough difference to be detrimental to him in any way. Totally up to you.

• Options

I let my DH make this decision...without flames i feel getting him circumcized is not going to traumatize him...how i came to this conclusion? I asked DH if he remembers/suffers/regrets his circumcision...short answer? uh no

• Options
    If/when we have a boy, we'll be doing it. It's a personal preference, IMO. If it's gonna be done, I'd rather my son have it done as a baby than go through it later in life. My uncles did it when they were in their 20s because they wanted it done. According to them, the recovery process was hell.
  • Options
    I'm going to get my son circumcised. If we lived elsewhere in the world I probably wouldn't. I think it's important to look at the culture that you will be raising your child in when you make a decision like this. "they" say that it is now 50/50 in the US when it comes to circumcision but I'm not so sure about those statistics. Also an uncircumcised penis is hard to keep clean. Of course you will clean it when he is a baby but can we really expect a young boy to properly clean himself down there everyday, I don't think so but that's just my opinion. And the last reason I want to get him circumcised is because uncircumcised penises freak me out lol, a circumcised penis is much better looking.
  • Options
    Ack! that's a tough one....I would just let him see/read more research on why you don't want to circumcise just to clarify and back up your reasons even more. It doesn't sound like he is very strong in his view. "Why not?" isn't good enough so he needs to be more adamant or your reasons should win the argument.IMO
  • Options
    I'll be doing it - Even though it is $400. I think it is worth it. It is a 30 second procedure. It will be less painful to get it done shortly after birth, rather than have a self concious son - who is 18 years old and wants to have it done then.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imagekdiaisfly:
    I'm going to get my son circumcised. If we lived elsewhere in the world I probably wouldn't. I think it's important to look at the culture that you will be raising your child in when you make a decision like this. "they" say that it is now 50/50 in the US when it comes to circumcision but I'm not so sure about those statistics. Also an uncircumcised penis is hard to keep clean. Of course you will clean it when he is a baby but can we really expect a young boy to properly clean himself down there everyday, I don't think so but that's just my opinion. And the last reason I want to get him circumcised is because uncircumcised penises freak me out lol, a circumcised penis is much better looking.

I am sure you will get flamed for this but I agree. That was a reason I was leabing towards getting it done. Its a personal thing like liking blondes over brunettes. Its a prefrence but in reality if I had fallen for a guy with an un-circ I am sure I would grow to love it. My SO is blonde blonde and I always liked brunettes. I love him and I wouldn't want a brunette now.

BrittAny Nicole
  • Options

imageItaliannvegas:
    Ack! that's a tough one....I would just let him see/read more research on why you don't want to circumcise just to clarify and back up your reasons even more. It doesn't sound like he is very strong in his view. "Why not?" isn't good enough so he needs to be more adamant or your reasons should win the argument.IMO

I agree. If he is serious about wanting it done he should show that he has valid reasons other than "why not".

• Options
    I had a boyfriend who wasn't and not only was he teased about it growing up (boys locker rooms and whatnot) he decided have the procedure done when he was 20 and said it was the worst pain ever- with a long and terrible recovery process. Not only that, but he was embarrassed about it, even after, because of scarring. Not to mention the risk of a younger kid not keeping it clean, etc . I'd definitely do it if we were having a boy, and it's also my opinion that everyone should. No real reason not to.
    image   image

• Options
    HEHE! Then I want to get flamed too and say DH has a pretty penis...whoever did his circumcision did a FABULOUS job!!!
  • Options
    Our LO will be circumsiced but I left that choice up to my husband,I respect how he feels on the subject and am happy with our choice.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    If I would have been having a boy I would have done it. He will appriciate it in the long run. Personally, uncircumcised is really gross to me. Maybe it is because I am a CNA and used to work in a nursing home but a Circumsiced penis is alot easier to keep clean.
  • Options
    Our son will be getting circumcised today, I let dh decide because he woundup having to get circumcised when he was five and said it was very traumatic. So we decided to do it now rather thantake that chance.
  • Options
    We will be getting our little boy circumcised, there wasn't any question about it because both DH and I agreed that he should have it done. In your situation though, I would have your SO give you the reasons why he wants it done because "why not" is definitely not a good enough answer.

• Options
    I will NOT be having it done to my son. I have done months a research and find very little to justify it other than secular or cultural reasons. neither were good enough for me. My SO is and wants our son to be. When i ask why he say cause i am and why not. That was not good enough for me so i a made a stand. Unless he could make a proper argument why it was necessary i would not allow it to be done to my child. SInce for him it was a cultural thing and his parents did it to him he wanted it done for his son. I told him just because that was the choice HIS mother/father made doesn't mean it's a choice i as a mother will make. In the end We are not circumsing our son, though my SO does not agree since i feeling so strongly against it and he accepts my reasoning. 
  • Options
    I don't think "why not" is good enough reason for surgery.
  • Options
    jayden will be getting circumcized.
  • Options

We're not doing it because DH is not circumcised and it has never caused him any issues.  People claim that circumcision is somehow healthier and cleaner but I don't buy it since I've never noticed anything wrong with DH's penis.  It just seems kind of like an unnecessary thing to me, personally, like getting your dog's ears clipped or something.  I can understand doing it so that everyone "matches" or if your religion calls for it but other than that I don't see a reason.

ETA:

I see a lot of women on here saying that their DH's got teased for having an uncircumcised penis when they were younger.  I find that really odd!  The only comments DH ever got from anyone were from his best friend in high school wishing that HE wasn't circumcised because he had heard the being circumcised cuts down on sensitivity during sex!  So, in his experience, someone has actually been jealous of his uncircumcised penis, haha.  

image image
  • Options

NO flames- just examples or reason why we/i am choosing to have it done... it's not so much to look like daddy although that can help.. and i'm sure there's no added sexually benefit for DS later in life but medically here is why- it's a must for me-- you choose what's right for you- jsut don't be mislead in either direction that's all

from a previous post:HOWEVER I can tell you why it would never cross my mind NOT to have it done at birth.... I was a nanny for two boys that weren't... and the doctor and i both told mommy ( me only after reading up on it as idk before hand) "hey you need to watch for this or that, and how to clean and the WHYS" ( and yes I have seen women on here say there's nothing special to do for those that aren't and they are so DEAD FKN wrong- i pray they never see what i lived through) These two poor babies (at 4 and 5) had a mommy that swore by Dr. Spock and did as she wanted ans saw fit at 40+y.o and that's her right..... but she failed to clean it theirs properly and let alone do it every time- pay attention to signs....as her wallet talked volumes before her child's lil'l health did... but i get you can't tell someone how to raise their child but seriously..... at 4 and 5 yrs old these poor boys had to have the procedure (medically forced) to be done and were so tortured by the infection weeks prior to ( just the pain itself- to hell with mommy's neglect and statement "it's normal") and then had to live with the healing pain for weeks later... NEVER in my life will i ever torture my child by taking a chance- at birth is the only option for me...my 2nd eample although many many many years ago is my father and grandfather... my dad not for infection but for personal choice and my pop-pop something to do with the army... and they both swore they would never!! do that to their boys and demanded it to be done at birth... i guess one lives by their own experiences but i watched two boys suffer and i just can't do that god forbid  to mine.... and kids can pick up anything no matter how careful you are... JMO though and not meant to offend anyone- just food for thought...

imageBabyFetus Ticker BabyName Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Since I don't have a penis, I let my husband make the final decision. We discussed both options and will be getting it done.
    image Ready to rumble.
  • Options
    using personal experiences/stories to make a decision in lieu of actual data is never a good idea. There are examples/stories on BOTH sides that are horrible. So making a decision because you know one family or such who had a horrible story on one side is pointless. There are just as many babies/people with horrible pain and consequences because of botched circs are they are people who suffered later in life because of not being circ'ed
  • Options

OP - Do your research now and if you can't agree then do nothing. I frequent another board with a circumcision forum. There is a continuous post where women can post thier regrets on circ'ing thier sons and it is just heartbreaking to read. You can always have it done later if you decide to, but they can't put it back.

Don't let your partner push you into a decision you are not comfortable with that you might regret later!

imageDanny'sGirl09:

from a previous post:HOWEVER I can tell you why it would never cross my mind NOT to have it done at birth.... I was a nanny for two boys that weren't... and the doctor and i both told mommy ( me only after reading up on it as idk before hand) "hey you need to watch for this or that, and how to clean and the WHYS" ( and yes I have seen women on here say there's nothing special to do for those that aren't and they are so DEAD FKN wrong- i pray they never see what i lived through) These two poor babies (at 4 and 5) had a mommy that swore by Dr. Spock and did as she wanted ans saw fit at 40+y.o and that's her right..... but she failed to clean it theirs properly and let alone do it every time- pay attention to signs....as her wallet talked volumes before her child's lil'l health did... but i get you can't tell someone how to raise their child but seriously..... at 4 and 5 yrs old these poor boys had to have the procedure (medically forced) to be done and were so tortured by the infection weeks prior to ( just the pain itself- to hell with mommy's neglect and statement "it's normal") and then had to live with the healing pain for weeks later...

I don't really know where to start with this....

As a mom to two intact boys, sister to two more and daughter/grand daughter/great-grand daughter to intact men, I can ASSURE you that in infantcy and young childhood there is NO extra care required for an intact penis. The penis should be washed in the same manner you wash a finger and NEVER FORCIBLY RETRACTED!

Once the penis becomes retractable on its own, (not until puberty for some boys and late childhood (10+) for most) the foreskin should be gently retracted and the glans rinsed with water before the foreskin is gently replaced. And that is it!

I hate to think those poor boys suffered an infection and most likely needless circumcision due to bad advice from a pedi uneducated in intact penis care.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I have also done my research and have noted all the pros and cons for my DH and I ,and yes some experiences had some affect in that as well... Most people do go by what they know, what they have experienced, friends and families advice and do their research...it's natural....

i also have some experience in seeing it from both sides as i have 6 brothers who are and was just saying here are two examples of a situations i lived through personally that helped me make the right decision for ME.... its JMO and as i said to please make your own choice but this is my choice ... thats all

imageBabyFetus Ticker BabyName Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I basically left the decision up to DH (who is circ'd) and he decided that there wasn't enough/real benefit to having it done so, if we have a boy, LO will NOT be getting circumcised.
  • Options
    We are having this done for our little guy. Didn't really think twice about it, just both knew we would. I do believe it's a personal and cultural choice, but it will affect boys as they grow up, so it's good to think about that.
  • Options
    I'm leaving it up to my DH if we have a boy because honestly I have no idea about penises or locker room talk or what have you and I feel comfortable letting him make that decision for our son.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"