Baby Showers
Options

Tacky or no?

I have families on both sides of the country. I live in California where my husband's family and most of my friends reside. I'm from Ohio where my side of the family and a few other friends reside. I was planning on having a "Welcome Baby" event at our home soon after the birth of our LO (just to note we always have a big bash at the beginning of the summer). Well I'm having my son and my new baby christened at the church I grew up in, as well as watch every sunday live online, would it be terrible if I threw another party to celebrate their christening as well for my family and friends  on the east coast?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Tacky or no?

• Options

Maybe have the 1st party not be "Welcome Baby", but the regular party you usually  have.

I'm not sure how far apart the parties are though, that might make a difference. Is the Welcome Baby party one where people are bringing gifts or just meeting the baby?

• Options

I'm confused.  first, what do you mean by "watch every sunday live online"?

Beyond that- your "Welcome Baby" party is in California?  And you're thinking of having a party in ohio when you go home?  Is that correct?

If so, then I don't see the problem.  Just don't invite the same people to both parties....  and as they all live in 2 different locations, I dont' see why you would invite the Ohio peopel to the CA party and vice versa!

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageEastCoastBride:

I'm confused.  first, what do you mean by "watch every sunday live online"?

Beyond that- your "Welcome Baby" party is in California?  And you're thinking of having a party in ohio when you go home?  Is that correct?

If so, then I don't see the problem.  Just don't invite the same people to both parties....  and as they all live in 2 different locations, I dont' see why you would invite the Ohio peopel to the CA party and vice versa!

Ditto. I'm completely confused.  Would anyone travel from CA to OH for a christening??? Would anyone travel from OH to CA for a welcome baby/beginning of summer party????? I would not.

Pregnancy Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

OK...so you are having your annual bash and a Welcome Baby Party in CA.  OK  And then you are having the Christening at your old church in OH and want to have a Welcome Baby Party as well?  OK

I think both are fine as long as you don't invite the same people to both events.  Possible your DH's parents (who live in CA) might like to come to the Christening, but if not no big deal.

• Options

I would have a "Welcome Baby" party in CA and a "Christening Celebration/Brunch" in OH.

ETA: The Christening Celebration needs to include both DS and new baby.  It should not be encouraged for people to bring gifts for the new baby and not DS, should not be treated as a baby shower and should incorporate some things DS will enjoy.  This is an important day in his life, too.

• Options

I'm not encouraging gifts for either celebration. There actually ARE people who would fly to CA from Ohio ane vice versa (ie my mom, sisters, SIL). My parents in law have passed on so I'm sure they'll be attending the christening of their grandchildren in spirit :) Our normal BBQ also includes DS's birthday celebration, we were going to forgoe that this year (we'll have a small cake and such for DS on his actual birthday, though) so people didn't feel pressured to bring gifts.

What I meant by "watch every sunday live online" is they do a webcast of Sunday morning service live on their website. So while I'm not an active member of the church, I do "attend" their services every Sunday.

I was going to have the christening party at a water park since there are many children around DS's age in the family and it will be in the middle of summer. The parties are going to be about a month apart and both are going to be quite large.

• Options
    imagemrstarawalsh:

I'm not encouraging gifts for either celebration. There actually AREpeople who would fly to CA from Ohio ane vice versa (ie my mom,sisters, SIL). My parents in law have passed on so I'm sure they'll beattending the christening of their grandchildren in spirit :) Ournormal BBQ also includes DS's birthday celebration, we were going toforgoe that this year (we'll have a small cake and such for DS on hisactual birthday, though) so people didn't feel pressured to bringgifts.

What I meant by "watch every sunday live online" isthey do a webcast of Sunday morning service live on their website. Sowhile I'm not an active member of the church, I do "attend" theirservices every Sunday.

I was going to have thechristening party at a water park since there are many children aroundDS's age in the family and it will be in the middle of summer. Theparties are going to be about a month apart and both are going to bequite large.

christening party at a water park = significant religious occasion understanding FAIL 

• Options
    imageThisIsTottysAE:
    imagemrstarawalsh:

I'm not encouraging gifts for either celebration. There actually AREpeople who would fly to CA from Ohio ane vice versa (ie my mom,sisters, SIL). My parents in law have passed on so I'm sure they'll beattending the christening of their grandchildren in spirit :) Ournormal BBQ also includes DS's birthday celebration, we were going toforgoe that this year (we'll have a small cake and such for DS on hisactual birthday, though) so people didn't feel pressured to bringgifts.

What I meant by "watch every sunday live online" isthey do a webcast of Sunday morning service live on their website. Sowhile I'm not an active member of the church, I do "attend" theirservices every Sunday.

I was going to have thechristening party at a water park since there are many children aroundDS's age in the family and it will be in the middle of summer. Theparties are going to be about a month apart and both are going to bequite large.

christening party at a water park = significant religious occasion understanding FAIL 

Um, no actually it's not. It's not really a water park in the traditional sense. It's a really nice venue that's outdoors that has like a pond, gazebos, and a water play area for the children. There are many weddings that are held there as well.  Considering many of the guests will be children (12 y/o sister, 9 y/o brother, 4 y/o neice, 2 y/o neice, and 2 1y/o neices, various cousins with small children, PLUS my 3 year old) it's the prefect spot for such an occassion.  I don't think it's fair to make them sit in a church for an hour and a half (the church does christenings during normal service) in stuffy uncomfortable clothes and then take them to a resturant where they have to behave. I plan on renting a pavillion for the guests and having a nice little spread with finger food, cake and punch.

Here's a link to the park's site so you can see what I'm talking about:

https://www.wtwp.com/parks/homestead.asp
  • Options
    I think its fine because of the distance. You're not expecting the same group of people to come to both parties. Go for it!
    Expect MIRACLES!! Shocking surprise BFP 9/12/12 After 2 IUIs, 3 IVFs w/ICSI and 1 FET we have been blessed with a healthy baby girl born 26 August 2010! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"