Detroit Babies

Working Moms

So if you're a mother who works full time, how do you work day care if you have to work on weekends?

My husband and I are both in retail, and weekends are required.  I'm a Tues-Sat schedule, and his is much more flexible, but not flexible enough to get every Saturday off (would be nice).

Any suggestions?  Have already asked grandparents about sitting, but have been given the "Not every weekend or every other weekend" speech.

Thanks!

Re: Working Moms

• I am not in that situation since I work mon-fri but maybe look at a part time nanny? I know I saw that students at OU who are going for teaching or child development majors look for nanny positions.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • oh and good luck on TTC!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DH works weekends, but luckily I don't.  So he set his schedule to have Tuesday and Thursday off and we have DS in daycare the other 3 days.  It sucks that he has to work every weekend now, but it was the only way to cut the daycare costs until my mom gets better (she usually watched DS, but hurt her shoulder).

Is there any flexibility as far as what shift you work?  For the weekend, could you work in the morning and your DH take an afternoon shift?  Even if you still have overlapping hours, it might be easier to find someone for a few hours rather than the entire day.  Are both sets of grandparents in the area?  Could your DH swing it where he had every other Saturday off, then rotate between the grandparents.  That way the grandparents would only have the LO once every 4 weeks.  What about other family members in the area?  Otherwise start checking out nannies/babysitters.  Usually there's people willing to work on a weekend.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks, ladies! 

I'm considering the nanny idea or the overlap shift possibility, but unfortunately, my pocketbook doesn't really allow for a whole lot of flexibility.  My schedule is pretty fixed - I work at a country club, so when the rest of the world has Labor Day and 4th of July off, I'm working - however, DH isn't.  That works well.  :-) 

I appreciate the suggestions, and I'm also looking into daycares that have Saturdays open - I'm sure there's one out there somewhere!

Have a great one!

• Your franchise daycares might be the ones most likely to have Saturday hours (Kindercare, Childtime, etc) although I can't say I've ever heard of that.  Check out this website www.sitters.com  One of the parenting websites recommended it.  I know there's other sites similar to this.  You can view profiles for free.  You have to pay in order to get the contact information, but it's kind of nice that they have background checks and reviews from other moms.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMrsRenee:

Your franchise daycares might be the ones most likely to have Saturday hours (Kindercare, Childtime, etc) although I can't say I've ever heard of that.  Check out this website www.sitters.com  One of the parenting websites recommended it.  I know there's other sites similar to this.  You can view profiles for free.  You have to pay in order to get the contact information, but it's kind of nice that they have background checks and reviews from other moms.

I'll definitely bookmark this site!  I think that's one thing I'm most concerned about when we finally do have kids - making sure the person taking care of my children is going to be as amazing as I hope.  I had a daycare lady for years that my sister and I went to, and I loved her!  I hope to find someone like her someday!  Maybe this will help me out!
    Thanks!

• When you go to the state's licensing site, and link to the entry for each individual center, it shows days of the week it is open ... this might be a quick way to sort through some places in your area.

https://www.dleg.state.mi.us/brs_cdc/sr_lfl.asp

• imageBabyBean:

When you go to the state's licensing site, and link to the entry for each individual center, it shows days of the week it is open ... this might be a quick way to sort through some places in your area.

https://www.dleg.state.mi.us/brs_cdc/sr_lfl.asp

Ya know, I've had this link bookmarked for about two years!  Thank you!  I didn't even realize it until I opened the site! haha  I'm definitely going to be searching this site to find every thing I can :-)

• Not sure what area you are in, but there's a daycare in Sterling Heights that has Saturday hours.... its called Academy 4 Lil Angels. I considered them for DS before deciding on an in home daycare.

Good luck, Im sure you will find something!

• imagehause1nm:

Not sure what area you are in, but there's a daycare in Sterling Heights that has Saturday hours.... its called Academy 4 Lil Angels. I considered them for DS before deciding on an in home daycare.

Good luck, Im sure you will find something!

Thanks for the reference!  Unfortunately, it's a little further from both of our jobs than I'd like - he works in Troy, I'm in Grosse Pointe Farms and we live in Southfield.  But I might call to see if this location has any recommendations for my area!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"