Georgia Babies
Options

how long did you breast feed

from the beginning i have wanted BF Elliot of a year but the older he gets the harder it gets.

first he wouldn't drink formula.  now he doesn't have a problem with that.  We have had to supplement 1/2 formula and 1/2 BM during the day while I am at work. Now i feel like i am not producing enough milk to fill him up when I am home.  I nursed him this afternoon and he was fussy so i gave him a bottle and he drank 4 oz.  Do i just keep supplementing and nursing him when I can or throw in the towel and give up all together.  This makes me wish i could be at home more!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: how long did you breast feed

• Options

This is tough and obviously a personal thing.  Throwing some thoughts/ideas out there:  Do you think your production is going down?  Are you getting enough rest, food, water?  Have you tried supplements, oatmeal, etc?  He could also be going through a growth spurt or was just overly hungry and too tired to nurse.  It's less work for them to drink from a bottle, so maybe he was just having an off day?  Is he on solids yet?

I'd do whatever you are comfortable with and can do, supply wise.  If it's supplementing and nursing, that's great.  I EBF (pumped while at work) for just over a year by the time I completely weaned my first.  I had no supply issues, no real problems-it was great.  This time around though, it's been one problem/issue/illness after the next and I don't enjoy it.  It's also painful this time.  Part of me wants to stop, but I would feel too guilty so for now I'm continuing.  Do what works for you-you're doing great to have made it this far!

• Options
    I nursed DS for 14 months. He wouldn't even take a bottle for the first 8 months.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was planning on going a year, but Abigail weaned herself at 10.5 months. I had to start supplementing when she was 9 months old due to her constipation issues.
    Abigail Taylor 09.18.2008

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I nursed for 13months as SAHM.  I don't know if I could have made it that long if I had to pump to be honest, I did donate milk the first 8 months, but decided to give up my nightly before bed pump session for donation for selfish reasons, not a pumping fan.  Congrats for making it as long as you have AND working.  If you aren't quite ready to stop, call the Northside Lactation line to see if they have any advice.  If you feel ready to stop, don't feel like a failure....BF is not easy....you have done a great job.
  • Options
    : (  I only did for 3.5 months.  My supply started to tank, and I went back to work, where pumping would have been too much of a PITA.  I would've done it though, but at that p
  • Options
    imagecare99:

This is tough and obviously a personal thing.  Throwing some thoughts/ideas out there:  Do you think your production is going down?  Are you getting enough rest, food, water?  Have you tried supplements, oatmeal, etc?  He could also be going through a growth spurt or was just overly hungry and too tired to nurse.  It's less work for them to drink from a bottle, so maybe he was just having an off day?  Is he on solids yet?

I'd do whatever you are comfortable with and can do, supply wise.  If it's supplementing and nursing, that's great.  I EBF (pumped while at work) for just over a year by the time I completely weaned my first.  I had no supply issues, no real problems-it was great.  This time around though, it's been one problem/issue/illness after the next and I don't enjoy it.  It's also painful this time.  Part of me wants to stop, but I would feel too guilty so for now I'm continuing.  Do what works for you-you're doing great to have made it this far!

to answer your questions

Do you think your production is going down?  yes Are you getting enough rest, food, water? probably not.  Last week I had a huge deadline and this week I had a stomach virus.  Had to go to the ER and was dehydrated Have you tried supplements, oatmeal, etc?  oatmeal and lactation cookies with bewwers yeast, i think they help He could also be going through a growth spurt or was just overly hungry and too tired to nurse.  It's less work for them to drink from a bottle, so maybe he was just having an off day? last week 2 days he wouldn't nurse at all and i think it was his teeth Is he on solids yet? he is eating solids and eats less when we supplement which adds to my suspicion that he isn't getting enough when he nurses

I think i am just feeling really frustrated right now with this hopefully it will all seem better tomorrow.  I still am not going to be able to produce enough but if i give him something that is better than nothing right?  maybe i should try those mother's milk suppliments.  has anyone had luck with those?

• Options
    so E just woke up and didn't want to nurse but squealed with delight when i brought out a bottle.
  • Options

Conner still nurses one time (in the middle of the night). When he was around 8 mos, my supply tanked. He would NOT take a bottle; it didn't matter what was in it. I called the LC and she recommended that I pump every 2 hours for 24-48 hours and I drank the mother's milk tea. It totally worked. My supply came back before the 48h mark; it was more around 24. You could try that; it might help and stay hydrated. that helps too.

• Options

WIth my 1st baby (aka Doodle) i nursed for maybe 3 days...pumped exclusively for a month with enough milke to last for about 6 weeks.  With 2nd baby (Darren) I BF exclusively til October so ~9 months and then we went on a 7 day vacation and I didn't have enough stock piled so he started taking some formula (enough for 2 bottles of EBM a day, but he was drinking about 4 -5 bottles, plus he was with the grandparents so they pretty much shoved a bottle in his mouth whenever he even so much as whinced :-)  I was VERY fortunate to work from home and thus pump from home or else there is NO WAY i would've lasted that long.  After Oct I nursed him a few times a day like at night, overnight and in the morning...that dropped off.  Around Christmas time I was pretty much completely rejected...i was crushed, but like E he just wanted MO' MILK and FAST...so he preferred the bottle. 

You're doing great if you've lasted this long.  Anything more you can do, great...if it's not working for you anymore than that's FINE too! 

• Options

I weaned completely around 7 mos- I would have continued for much longer, but I could not get a letdown for the pump (my body forgot how to do it!) and Gavin went on a nursing strike right before I had to go on a business trip so that was that.  But we had a pretty unique experience anyway, I think- and it may work for you too... 

We had to start supplementing pretty early on b/c of supply issues and he lost so much weight in the NICU.  At first it was just once a day and then once I went back to work, it was more and more.  He's at daycare at my office, so I still went down to nurse him twice a day and at home, but otherwise, he got formula.  I really didn't mind supplementing and for us, it felt like the perfect balance.  I tried very hard to not worry about my supply and trusted that he was getting most of his calories and nutrients from the formula and I just viewed our BF sessions as a super healthy "snack."  This was how the pedi told me to view it and it really helped me adjust my mentality.  He told me that in the studies he had read that even BF once or twice a day still passed on all the "goodies" to the baby- just in a more concentrated form.  Plus all the other benefits of bonding, skin to skin, etc. So he really encouraged me to continue nursing as long as my supply held out.  So if you want to keep going, just nurse him first and finish up with a bottle and try not to stress over your supply.  Remind yourself as you are nursing of all the wonderful things you are passing on to him even if you can't do it exclusively.  He's still getting so much good stuff!  Also, when I finally quit thinking about it and just said, ok we'll go as long as my body can hold out... my supply went through the roof. 

• Options
    I only nursed Grant 6 months (and that was supplementing with formula and pumping). He never really latched that well and was always hungry after nursing (looking back I think my supplementing hurt my supply). With Reid I nursed 11.5 mos until he self weaned and at that point I just moved him to whole milk. He hated the bottle and the 2 times we tried to give him formula he threw up...a lot..... Also I am a SAHM, so I didn't have the issue of not being there. I've been on both sides, with one child moving to formula and one not, I say do what's best for you and your family and your little boy will be just fine either way!
    Grant Thomas 8.8.06 and Reid Alexander 8.11.08
  • Options

imagealmostanO:

last week 2 days he wouldn't nurse at all and i think it was his teeth Is he on solids yet? he is eating solids and eats less when we supplement which adds to my suspicion that he isn't getting enough when he nurses

I just realized how old he is... seriously, this is right when Gavin went on a nursing strike.  Wouldn't come near the breast- LOVED the bottle.  If I could have pumped and maintained SOME supply, he probably would have come back around.  I remember when I got back from my business trip- totally weaned, all of a sudden he started rooting and looking for the breast everytime I held him... broke my heart :-(

• Options
    kepkep member
    DD did not latch, so I pumped (and supplemented with formula) for about 6-8 weeks (by the time I finally weaned off of the pump). I HATED it. I did not feel one ounce of guilt over quitting. Do what is best for your family. Kate did very well on formula. I am thankful to live in a time and place where we have so many options. :o)
    Photo by Everything Nice Photography
    My blog
  • Options

I had trouble keeping up with DD's demand after I went back to work. At 4.5 months we had to start supplementing and at 6 months I quit. I agonized over the decision to stop but the fact is Cadence seemed to do better on formula than she did the breast milk..it didn't bother her acid reflux as much.

I ditto kep in that you just have to do what is best for you and your family.

Pregnancy Ticker

DD- 9
    DS-6
    c/p- April 2016
    missed m/c- 6w5d; discovered 8w2d- September 2016

• Options
    6 months. not by choice but because my supply couldn't keep up with him. I was hoping to do it for a year. Do what's best for you and your child. I think BF is a personal choice. A happy mommy equals to a happy baby.
  • Options

I'm sorry.  I know this is difficult on you.  I nursed Ethan for 6 months.  I had planned on nursing him for a year, but I went back to work when he was 10 weeks old and I was pumping at work.  Unfortunately, my job became very demanding at times and I was not able to pump on the schedule that I needed to and eventually my boobs pretty much gave up.  I switched Ethan to formula and he did excellent.

Poor Jack only got a week of breast milk.  A week after my c-section, my incision became infected and I was put on a heavy dose of antibiotics to keep me out of the hospital.  The doctor advised that I pump and dump while I was on the medicine and supplement Jack with formula...which I did.  By the time I got off the medication, my boobs just weren't producing much anymore and Jack had taken to formula and bottles well so I just kept him on it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I've been exclusively nursing for the past 6 months.  I have had many days when I wanted to give up but my DD does not take a bottle...so it's boob 24/7!  I plan to just keep going with the nursing until 1 year, at this point I don't want to try formula and trying to find the right one that works for her. 

As for you're supply issues....have you tried Fenugreek to boost your supply? I use Mother's milk tea daily and eat oatmeal (instant flavored) almost daily, both help with supply.  I have had no real supply issues.  The Lacation bars are good- let my know if you need the recipe.  Dark beer is also supposed to be good for supply.  Make sure you drink a ton of water/fluids- drink about 2 liters a day!  

Are you able to pump at work and/or in the car while driving so that you're getting stimulation?  Just a few ideas.....what ever you decide will be what's best for you.  GL!

• Options

:( I am sorry you are having problems.  I am still nursing Ava at 10 months old.  I plan to do it at least a year or when she feels like weaning.  I went back to work when she was 7 weeks old and have pumped.  I HATE pumping and thought about stopping so many times.  Not really sure what keeps me going.  I agree with PP.  Be sure that you are drinking plenty of fluids.  The other day I noticed when I pumped that I was only getting 2-3 oz (I usually get 4-5 oz) so I drank a ton of water and the next day I was getting 5 + oz when pumping.  I highly recommend calling a lactation consultant for advice if you wish to continue breastfeeding.  I think I remember a couple of nursing strikes from Ava.  I tried the mothers milk tea but it was so nasty.  I couldn't even stand to smell it.  But I am not a tea drinker. 

photo bigsister032_zps1fdfe81e.jpgLilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Look up some advice on boosting your supply.  I know its hard to pump and work.  Believe me.  I kept count of my supply in the freezer and the nanosecond I was able to cut back on pumping at night I did that, then one time at work, then none at work until the end.  Somehow my supply held up.  I nursed at least once a day until 15 months, but at that time that was the only breastmilk she was getting, the rest was whole milk or water.
  • Options

Carter:  1 year - had to supplement with formula around 9 months i think (when i got preganat with Ava).  I just couldn't make as much as he needed and the milk had changed.

Ava:  1 year.  Had a ton of milk stored up and that's what helped get me though the last few months.  Little brat wouldn't drink formula, so thank god i had the frozen stuff.

Just do what you can.  I originally had a one year goal with Carter.  It was one of the most difficult things I've ever done b/c it takes real dedication and commitment.  The closer i got to a year the more I had to push myself.

With Ava, i felt like i had to go a year since i did with Carter.  Basically guilted myself into it.  I had to pump at work with both and it was hard, but you get used to it.

• Options

I forgot to add that i have used mother's milk tea and the capsules.  They worked for me.  I also ate a ton of oatmeal, drank plently of water and ate brewers yeast.  Some of the dark belgian beer has tons of yeast in it, so i tried those too.  The guy at the liquor store thought i was crazy.

To me it sounds like he's getting lazy if he's willing to drink from a bottle and not nurse. 

• Options
    I too wanted to go to a year, but I made it to 10.5 months. Stupid swine flu really did a number on my supply and it never recovered. I miss nursing so much.
  • Options
    thanks ladies. you have really helped
  • Options
    I nursed both kids for about 13/14 months.
  • Options
    Still nursing and pumping 6+ months. It is a challenge though. I put 4 times during work and get about 15 oz but she will only drink 10 at the most and she has reversed cycled and eats every two hours at night.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"