3rd Trimester
Options

Dear people who ignore the registry...

2»

Re: Dear people who ignore the registry...

• Options

Dear people who can't do the math to figure out that a 0-3 mo. old summer outfit will never be worn by a baby born in the early winter,

Thank you!!!! Thanks to your stupidity, DH and I have been bestowed with the sweetest collection of hand-me-downs, with the tags still on them and everything!

However, please don't make the same mistake when you're buying for our LO. :) That means you, MIL: trying to push a 3-6 month old winter suit down my throat (because it's "soooo cute") when LO will fit in it during the hottest months of the year is not okay. No, I don't want to crank up the a.c. just so that he can wear his crazy Granny's gift around the house, but thanks for the suggestion.

Love, Me 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options

Dear people who spent money on buying me stuff:

Do NOT buy me stuff that I don't like!!! What is WRONG with you??? How DARE you pick out something on your own?? I chose that stuff for you to buy me FOR A REASON!! I even gave you explicit instructions in my invitation so you wouldn't mess this up and you still went and bought something I didn't like. God, some people....

"I
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagetalltalltrees:

Dear people who spent money on buying me stuff:

Do NOT buy me stuff that I don't like!!! What is WRONG with you??? How DARE you pick out something on your own?? I chose that stuff for you to buy me FOR A REASON!! I even gave you explicit instructions in my invitation so you wouldn't mess this up and you still went and bought something I didn't like. God, some people....

Yes  Although you forgot to add that next time, they should just give cash and be happy about it.

So it goes.
  • Options

Ladies...

A few months ago, I was in your shoes.  I have a 9 month old daughter and I had several baby showers.  Some people bought off registry, some didn't, some made home-made gifts, some gave cash.  I was very grateful for every single gift that I recieved for my daughter.

The people that are re-gifting you blankets and wrong-size clothes, are doing it because THEY DON'T LIKE YOU enough to shop for you.  And after reading some of these responses, if I was invited to your shower, I would gladly re-gift you some wrong season baby clothes.

A registry is a suggestion, it's not a "buy me list".  You all sound really ungrateful.  There's a lot of bad attitudes in this post, and I really don't think it can all be blamed on hormones.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageadcffaa:
    It is for that exact reason that I'd mentioned to my fiance's mom (the person who is gonig to host my Baby Shower) that we are registered at Target and Walmart. After mentioning it a few times she told me she wont be putting it on the invitation and wont be saying anything about it unless she's specifically asked where/if we're registered. Something tells me I'll be doing lots of returns after the baby shower...which is being held exactly two weeks before my due date.

good for her for following proper etiquette. so few people do nowadays.

• Options
    You also forgot to add that everyone LOVES to buy tiny newborn and 0-3 cutesy outfits, despite the facts that baby rarely leaves the house at this time. No one thinks that baby might actually need some clothing past the age of 3 months.

• Options

imageg8trkim:
    You also forgot to add that everyone LOVES to buy tiny newborn and 0-3 cutesy outfits, despite the facts that baby rarely leaves the house at this time. No one thinks that baby might actually need some clothing past the age of 3 months.

Or maybe they figure that clothing needs past the age of 3 months can be taken care of by the baby's parents. 

"I
  • Options

I am glad none of you have real, actual problems to worry about.

Clothes for summer for baby? Put them on him/her INDOORS where you will likely be for the first few months anyway. Layering is your friend. 

Snow suit in a size too big for an infant? Guess what? Some babies FIT 6 month clothes at 3 weeks old. Not mine, he was in preemie clothes as a 41 weeker. Sizing is a crapshoot no matter what. 

You laid down and made a baby, pony up the dough yourself. 

• Options

You know, I don't really give a crap if people buy off my registry or not. DH and I are prepared to buy all of it ourselves.

I just find it annoying (and idiotic) when people give clothes without taking into consideration whether those clothes will fit the baby during the season they're meant to be worn. How hard is it to figure out, "Hm. He'll be born in April, which means it'll be summer when he's 3 months old. Therefore, the winter coat meant for a 3 month old won't work. I'll buy him a bigger size." It's not rocket science. If you're a size small, would it make any sense to get you an XXL sweater for your birthday? Or to buy you a giant maternity coat when your third trimester begins in June? You'd seriously smile and be super happy and never think of returning it for something you could actually use???

People get carried away with how cute they think (their particular taste in) baby clothing is. They indulge in shopping for cute items because they get their own thrill out of it, but won't take considerations for the gift recipient. Rude. PP is absolutely right: those gifters probably don't care about the recipient.

• Options
    Just realized there are random people posting on here... not preggos or posters from other bump boards, just random people who come on to apparently get preggos all worked up. Just wanted to put that out there. I mean, I don't really care, it's an open forum. But, really? And by the way someone also put the link to this post on a politics board to encourage other people to mock us too. Nice.

• Options

imageg8trkim:
    Just realized there are random people posting on here... not preggos or posters from other bump boards, just random people who come on to apparently get preggos all worked up. Just wanted to put that out there. I mean, I don't really care, it's an open forum. But, really? And by the way someone also put the link to this post on a politics board to encourage other people to mock us too. Nice.

You know that there are many boards talking about you "preggos" (sorry, I forgot we were on BabyGaga). Not just P&CE, most of the boards I frequent are mocking you guys too. 

• Options

imageg8trkim:

Honestly, I think it shows how ungrateful many in this post sound that others without kids feel compelled to come over and comment.

• Options
    imagebroomhead78:

You know, I don't really give a crap if people buy off my registry or not. DH and I are prepared to buy all of it ourselves.

I just find it annoying (and idiotic) when people give clothes without taking into consideration whether those clothes will fit the baby during the season they're meant to be worn. How hard is it to figure out, "Hm. He'll be born in April, which means it'll be summer when he's 3 months old. Therefore, the winter coat meant for a 3 month old won't work. I'll buy him a bigger size." It's not rocket science. If you're a size small, would it make any sense to get you an XXL sweater for your birthday? Or to buy you a giant maternity coat when your third trimester begins in June? You'd seriously smile and be super happy and never think of returning it for something you could actually use???

People get carried away with how cute they think (their particular taste in) baby clothing is. They indulge in shopping for cute items because they get their own thrill out of it, but won't take considerations for the gift recipient. Rude. PP is absolutely right: those gifters probably don't care about the recipient.

I think this is the main reason this post started. It's more that you want gifts to go to good use, not just sit in a closet or get thrown away. It's not really about being ungrateful. If I get something I don't need I feel guilty that I can't use it. Of course it's always wonderful to get gifts, and their always appreciated. It's just nice to know that some thought and consideration were put into it.

• Options
    imageg8trkim:
    imagebroomhead78:

I think this is the main reason this post started. It's more that you want gifts to go to good use, not just sit in a closet or get thrown away. It's not really about being ungrateful. If I get something I don't need I feel guilty that I can't use it. Of course it's always wonderful to get gifts, and their always appreciated. It's just nice to know that some thought and consideration were put into it.

But just because it wasn't on the registry doesnt mean there wasn't thought and consideration. Hell, my most thoughtful gifts came from places other than my registry.

And just because someone gets you an outfit that ends up not fitting LO during the right season doesn't mean their gift wasn't throughful.

• Options
    imageIrishBrideND:
    imageg8trkim:
    imagebroomhead78:

But just because it wasn't on the registry doesnt mean there wasn't thought and consideration. Hell, my most thoughtful gifts came from places other than my registry.

And just because someone gets you an outfit that ends up not fitting LO during the right season doesn't mean their gift wasn't throughful.

I definitely agree. But please know I wasn't trying to say that it has to be off the registry to be thoughtful.

• Options

imageg8trkim:

Or maybe it was just too ridiculous not to share. People do this all the time on this site, in case you haven't noticed. 

"I
  • Options
    imageIrishBrideND:

I totally agree: non-registry gifts can be the most thoughtful (and most used) gifts. They often are (at least in my family).

And I'll agree that clothing isn't always inconsiderate, but it often is ("Oh, won't so-and-so just love the sports jersey of *my* favorite team even though she has no interest in football whatsoever," for example) and buying totally off sizes is usually pretty stupid. I don't like stupid. And I think that more often than not, people buy the wrong size because they get so wrapped up in how cute they think something is, which is not being very mindful of the recipient.

• Options
    imagetalltalltrees:

imageg8trkim:

Or maybe it was just too ridiculous not to share. People do this all the time on this site, in case you haven't noticed. 

I said it was an open forum. I'm just not so sure why you would care. But it's completely your business so post away.

• Options
    Am I allowed to say, "No one here is ENTITLED to perfectly fitting baby clothing gifts or the exact items off their registry.  You do not NEED convenience.  Be grateful you had a shower at all."

Oh heck, I'll say it anyway, this thread is a clusterfVck regardless.  Really people... if the $2 pack of onesies (which are really useable in ANY season, it's called LAYERING) will not fit your child in the exact proper season (and all of this is a guess because not even YOU know what exact size your LO will be) - donate it.  Give it to a consignment shop.  Save it for the next kid, or to give to a friend/coworker/church member who might appreciate it more than you.
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    imagebroomhead78:
    imageIrishBrideND:

I totally agree: non-registry gifts can be the most thoughtful (and most used) gifts. They often are (at least in my family).

And I'll agree that clothing isn't always inconsiderate, but it often is ("Oh, won't so-and-so just love the sports jersey of *my* favorite team even though she has no interest in football whatsoever," for example) and buying totally off sizes is usually pretty stupid. I don't like stupid. And I think that more often than not, people buy the wrong size because they get so wrapped up in how cute they think something is, which is not being very mindful of the recipient.

I just think its petty, as the reciever, to be annoyed by that. Its a gift. If you can't use, you can't use it.

As a giver, I do my best to take that into account, but as a reciever, I think its ridiculous to be upset by it.

• Options
    I know this is a vent, but you sound like an ungrateful wench.  Whatever happened to a simple "thank you."  It's the thought that counts, right?  Return the shiit and buy what you want.
  • Options
    imageIrishBrideND:
    imagebroomhead78:
    imageIrishBrideND:

I just think its petty, as the reciever, to be annoyed by that. Its a gift. If you can't use, you can't use it.

As a giver, I do my best to take that into account, but as a reciever, I think its ridiculous to be upset by it.

If that's all I get at my shower (if I have a shower), I'll probably store the clothes until someone I know can use them, but I don't think it's fair to tell someone they're being an unreasonable brat if they're not all hunky-dory happy about all their gifts. I think it's possible to be grateful that someone went out of their way to get you a present and still, at the same time, be disappointed that they ended up getting you something useless or hideous.

Yes, there are women on the bump who make way too big of a deal out of their registries. But I also can't stand the holier-than-thou attitude that NO woman has the right to be disappointed that they got a hideous clock instead of a Moby wrap, or didn't get a single useful item, registry or not. You're right - it's petty. But not unreasonable.

• Options
    AMEN SISTER!!!! I wish that I was tacky enough to put that *** on a card inside of the invitation!
  • Options

Yes 

I had to deal with that for the wedding, I still have about 20+ items still in a box that I will never use. It's rediculous.

I have two baby showers coming up, one thrown by my sister and one thrown by my SIL. I'm just hoping shower goers at least look at the registry to find out what kind of theme I have going and What types of things I actually need. I'm most nervous about getting 5 million things of Newborn diapers and I end up having a big baby that wont even fit into them. I hate dealing with returns, expecially when the gift giver doesn't give a gift reciept.

I know it should be good enough to get gifts but My showers are so late I will be lucky if if I don't give birth during, and to have to deal with doing returns and buying what I didn't get and NEED will be a pain in the  butt.

I don't know, It's just frustrating. If you're not going to at least look at the registry that I spent time on creating then at least have common sense and get something that will be needed and not just because YOU think it's cute.

• Options

not sure if any of you read urban baby, but they just recommended a registry that seems really cool: DeposAGift.com

here's their article: https://blogs.urbanbaby.com/buzz/2010/01/06/cash-is-king/

i checked it out and it is really great. very cute designs for your site. plus you can also list other traditional registries. from a practical angle, this is a great option for the whole baby registry mix!

• Options
    imagebroomhead78:
    imageIrishBrideND:
    imagebroomhead78:
    imageIrishBrideND:

If that's all I get at my shower (if I have a shower), I'll probably store the clothes until someone I know can use them, but I don't think it's fair to tell someone they're being an unreasonable brat if they're not all hunky-dory happy about all their gifts. I think it's possible to be grateful that someone went out of their way to get you a present and still, at the same time, be disappointed that they ended up getting you something useless or hideous.

Yes, there are women on the bump who make way too big of a deal out of their registries. But I also can't stand the holier-than-thou attitude that NO woman has the right to be disappointed that they got a hideous clock instead of a Moby wrap, or didn't get a single useful item, registry or not. You're right - it's petty. But not unreasonable.

I said it was ridiculous to be "upset." I never said someone can't be disapointed. But to be upset and angry to the point that you have to vent about it on a message board takes it to that level IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"