Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Taking a 17-18 month old to the beach??

We are going to Florida for a few days in march and DD will be almost 18 months then.  Just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice for traveling long distance in a car with LO this age. We plan on leaving at bedtime so hopefully she will sleep the whole way. 

And, taking her to the beach and swimming at this age.  She hasn't been since 11 months and she wasn't walking yet.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Taking a 17-18 month old to the beach??

• I'm interested in the replies! We are flying down to Florida next month and I am starting to get nervous too :)
  • I live near the beach in south florida and Jordin doesn't "swim" but she will sit in little shallow water. What area are you going to? Different beaches sometimes have "sea lice" so I would make sure you check the status for that particular day because you may not want her going in the water. Also, be sure to get one of those little baby/toddler beach tents or a big umbrella. It's like a half tent looking thing so she can get some shade.
  • Loading the player...
  • The furtheste we have driven with DS was a 6hr drive to NY to go camping, The following week we did go to the beach with DS, We had a tent for him, a large blanket to put down on the sand( DS was onyl crawling then at 10mos),a huge umbrella and we had a wagon that we luged everything in.

How long is the drive? we left at nap time, stopped for lunch when he woke up, then after a little over an hour of play he took his second nap.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sea Lice is typically around from mother's day to Father's day. So coming in March you should be okay - but it never hurts to check.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • We took DD to Florida in November, she was 15 months I think.  She really surprised me with how well she did traveling on the plane and this is a child who typically hates traveling in the car for our 10-12 hour drives to see family.  I brought along plenty of small toys (stickers, Little Einsteins magnet board, and a few new things) we also had a portable DVD player on hand for emergencies but maybe only used it once for one of the car rides.

She loved the beach, her favorite part was chasing after the water!  It did take her a little while to get used to the sand but by the second day she was throwing it, eating it, and loved helping me make sand castles, etc.  We didn't go in the water though since it was too cold.

Have fun!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't have any car ride tips (we flew) but we just got back from Hawaii and took my 15 month old to the beach a lot.  Mt tips are to have lots of sand toys (he is an avid swimmer, we live in AZ, but much preferred playing in the wet sand to playing in the water).  LOAD UP on spray sunscreen, it was a life saver for my toehead, I cannot imagine trying to rub lotion onto his sandy little body.  If you can find them there, we bought him a rash guard which he wore with his trunks, it was SPF 50 and worked wonderfully.  Take lots of juice/drinks, my LO took to getting the sand in his mouth, yuck.  A tent will be good if they will use it, my would not, it was a waste of the $40.  And crocs worked great for walkign to and from the beach, and easily rinsable.  They stay on wonderfully too!  Am I forgetting anything? 
  • For the car ride we had plenty of music for her to listen to on the ride.  As a last resort we had a portable DVD player.  That helped.  She did have a few toys, but for the car ride music and DVD were the most helpful.

We were in FL for Christmas/New Years.  At the beach, she loved to dig dig dig.  So we had a pail and shovel.  The waves were a bit intimidating for her at first.  But she did get the hang of them and would run after them and away from them :)

Sunscreen, towels, snacks.  We had a location under some trees.  So we played in the sand for a while and then took a little break from the sun. 

She had a great time.  I wish we could go back now!

• imageMarissaLinae:
    I live near the beach in south florida and Jordin doesn't "swim" but she will sit in little shallow water. What area are you going to? Different beaches sometimes have "sea lice" so I would make sure you check the status for that particular day because you may not want her going in the water. Also, be sure to get one of those little baby/toddler beach tents or a big umbrella. It's like a half tent looking thing so she can get some shade.

We are going to Sarasota.  I grew up there and we used to spend every spring break there and I don't remember that being a concern but I will check.  Thanks!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"