Baby Showers
Options

shower for 2nd baby?

What is proper etiquette? I have a 2 year old son and DD will arrive in May. If I have a shower, do I register? What's smart and what's rude?!

Re: shower for 2nd baby?

• Options

There is a lot of different opinions on a shower for baby #2.  I think it seems to be what's the "norm" in your area and with your family and friends.  My SIL is pregnant with #2 and several people have already mentioned throwing her a shower, and it's not seen as tacky by anybody.  But to some it can be...so I would just wait to see if somebody offers to throw you a shower, but I don't think registering ever hurts!  It's fun to pick stuff out, and it's there if anybody happens to ask for a gift idea, shower or not!

Hope that helps, I know it's not a straight answer!

• Options
    Since you're having a girl this time, I don't think it is rude at all! Besides, if someone offers to throw one, that's great. If people don't like it, then they don't have to come.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My take - if someone offers you a shower, sure, you can accept.  But as it's for a 2nd child, I would keep the guest list SMALL.  To your immediate family and closest friends.

Lets be realistic - how much different stuff do you relaly need for a girl vs a boy?  People are going to buy you clothes no matter what.  You don't need a shower for clothes.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

Where I am from it is common to have 2nd baby showers but it is still looked as being really inappropriate. It is kind of like the dollar dance at a wedding around here...people line up with their buck for a dance while talking with their friends about how rude they think it is :).  I think that it is the amount of time between kids that determines whether you can have one without people thinking "didn't I just buy her a gift?".  I agree that the best 2nd showers are small or family.  Meet the baby parties after are really fun too! 

• Options

Someone could host a "sprinkle" for you, which is simply to offer you some things you don't already have.  In this instance, you can create a registry of smaller, less expensive items and the person hosting the sprinkle can inform guests verbally of the registry, if they ask.

You should not have a full out shower, your children are too close in age.

• Options
    If someone wants to throw you a shower, then there is no problem with registering for stuff that you need.
  • Options
    I have no problem with 2nd showers.  On your registry, I would make sure to put a lot of things in cheaper price ranges as well, so guests have the easy choice to spend less if they want to.
  • Options

What on earth would you put on a registry besides clothes, new bottles (maybe), diapers and a couple of other things?  Seriously for a 2nd shower when your DS is only 2 years old is really for diapers and wipes.  People will buy you a ton of clothes because you are having a girl...but even if you were having a boy people buy clothes (and diapers).  I think a registry would be a waste of time...unless you want a double stroller and want to get the completion discount.  I wwoul still not have it put on the invite.

• Options
    I just had a 2nd baby baby shower which I always thought was  alittle tacky. She surprised me with a lovely tea party. The theme of the shower was a diaper shower. So everyone brought my favorite brand of wipes adn diapers in different sizes so now I'm ready for the baby since I still had the essentials form baby #1. Hope this helped.
  • Options
    I've always read that having a shower for any baby other than the first is inappropriate.  Why don't you have a party to welcome the new baby once it's born, rather than a shower?  If people want to get you something, they'll ask what you need, or just get you whatever they want.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"