Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

NTR: Has the cable guy ever shown up unannounced to fix your cable?

I was just getting ready to put DD to bed tonight around 8:15 when I heard a knock on the door.  DH is out tonight, so I answered it.  It was a guy with tools in his hand who asked me if we were still having problems with our internet.  I told him I didn't think we were having problems with our internet (although I hadn't used it that day) and suggested he might have the wrong house.  He then asked if I was Jill X, address, etc. He said they get automatic alerts when your cable service is having certain problems and apparently they got an alert that our internet service was frequently dropping its signal.  So, I reluctantly let him in.  (Turns out they have to replace the cable line from the street to our house.)  But, then the whole time he was here, I started getting paranoid about having a random, unannounced person in my house without DH here and realized I should have asked him to come back tomorrow rather than letting him in. 

It just seems odd to me that Comcast wouldn't call to schedule an appointment, but would send someone out unannounced.  Weird or just me?  And, would you have let him in?  (I'm prepared to hear that I'm an idiot for letting him in...I know that is what DH will say when he hears about this).

The little love of my life... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: NTR: Has the cable guy ever shown up unannounced to fix your cable?

• Options

Yeah, I'm sorry you're an idiot. Wink It might be fine but I agree about them calling ahead.  It is a little suspicious.

ETA:  I mean this in the nicest way possible.  

• Options
    OMG this story creeps me out. Call your DH. This sounds very strange to me!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Did he have a comcast truck or ID on him that you could have seen?  I would have definately  told him to come back tomorrow, but I probably would not have opened the door at all! 

Abigail Grace: 3/11/08 and Joshua Alan: 2/2/13 Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic 5losses from 7/4/10 through 11/22/11 - “When the world says, “Give up,” Hope whispers, ‘Try it one more time."♥
  • Options
    I agree call DH then call Comcast and verify.
  • Options
    Comcast barely shows up when I DO call them. They have NEVER shown up unannounced. I would probably have given the side eye on that one.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    That seems really weird, and I've never heard of that before! I'm not sure what I would do if he just showed up at the house like that, I'm bad when put on the spot.  I think though, that if it was 8:15 I might have told him to go away and come back tomorrow, using "the baby is asleep" or some excuse like that (also probably not good to alert him to the fact that there's a baby in the house... like I said, I'm bad on the spot). 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I personally have never heard of them coming unannounced. IMO you shouldn't have let him in, but what's done is done and I'd call your H. And the cable company tomorrow.
  • Options
    You want to know my thoughts? He was checking out your house to rob you! It may not be tonight..................call DH.
  • Options
    Wow, that is really scary. Seems pretty late for them especially unannounced. Personally I wouldn't have opened the door and no way would I have let him come in. I'd call the cable company and verify he was with them. And call DH.
  • Options
    That is creepy.  I would definitely call your DH and get a hold of comcast to see if they had someone out at your house tonight.  We did that not to long ago with the electric company.  I would also alert the police if they didn't send anyone out to your house.  
  • Options
    Was he out of your sight at all?  Like, did he go use the bathroom or anything?  If so, just make sure that all your windows are locked.  Not trying to be paranoid, but DH is law enforcement, and he said that a scam is to go use the bathroom, unlock the windown, then come back in the middle of the night and enter through the unlocked window.  Just double check everything.  I'll sleep better tonight.  Wink
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    Oh my goodness!  I probably would've been unsure what to do on the spot like that, but I don't think I'd have just let him in.  I'd at least have called Comcast and asked what was going on!  If nothing else, that's kind of rude that they just sent him unannounced.  Some warning would've been nice.  And what if nobody was home? 
  • Options
    Ugh, yes, you are all right. I am a huge idiot and I don't know what I was thinking.  I was just so caught off guard.  I, too, am really bad on the spot.  He did have a Comcast van, Comcast tools, etc.  I have called DH and set the alarm.   
    The little love of my life... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageJillStar:
    Ugh, yes, you are all right. I am a huge idiot and I don't know what I was thinking.  I was just so caught off guard.  I, too, am really bad on the spot.  He did have a Comcast van, Comcast tools, etc.  I have called DH and set the alarm.   

Please keep us updated!

• Options

imagetre777:
    You want to know my thoughts? He was checking out your house to rob you! It may not be tonight..................call DH.

Oh yeah, I have heard about this.  Happens a lot around here.

• Options

imageJillStar:

Did you call Comcast? There is usually someone there even at this hour.

• Options

I tend to err on the side of paranoid, so I probably wouldn't have let him in.

That said, I totally understand how it is when you're caught off guard by something, and by the time you're second-guessing yourself, it's too late.

So now you know for next time...

Did you call Comcast afterwards to verify if the guy was legit?

• Options

I didn't read the other responses, but he could have snooped in your mailbox to get your name.  And no, I wouldn't have let him in if DH wasn't home. 

I also find it odd that they would have sent someone unannounced. 

• Options

imageJillStar:

Glad you set the alarm.  Have you called Comcast yet?  You need to.  And if they didn't send someone out, call the police. 

Caleb.02.01.08 | Asher.07.06.09 | Jude.01.19.12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mama Jan's Kitchen... a food blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

imagenictel:
    Was he out of your sight at all?  Like, did he go use the bathroom or anything?  If so, just make sure that all your windows are locked.  Not trying to be paranoid, but DH is law enforcement, and he said that a scam is to go use the bathroom, unlock the windown, then come back in the middle of the night and enter through the unlocked window.  Just double check everything.  I'll sleep better tonight.  Wink

I actually just had this same thought.  Check the doors too.

And call Comcast and verify that it really was one of their employees.

• Options
    imageMama Jan:

imageJillStar:

Glad you set the alarm.  Have you called Comcast yet?  You need to.  And if they didn't send someone out, call the police. 

I'm on hold with Comcast now.  I'll update shortly.

• Options
    imageJillStar:
    imageMama Jan:

imageJillStar:

i'm so nervous for you...  i can't log off until i know you are okay.

• Options

If it were me, I would have NOT even answered the door. In fact, if DH isn't home or if it's not someone I recognize (like a neighbor), then I just ignore the doorbell.

One night recently, DD was home with the babysitter & my girl friend that's staying with us was also home. After 8pm, someone came to the door & the babysitter did not hesitate to answer the door, right as my friend was coming downstairs to tell her not to answer the door. It was some random guy offering construction services. Luckily nothing happened, but just by opening the door, you are opening yourself up to them forcing their way past you. And next time this girl babysits, I'm going to make it a point to tell her NOT to answer the door for anyone, unless it's one of her brothers stopping by or something.

As PP mentioned, he could have very well been scoping out your house. I would call the police AND call Comcast. Criminals are getting wiser & sneakier & we always have to be one step ahead.

• Options
    imagebrandonsfuturewife07:
    imageJillStar:
    imageMama Jan:

imageJillStar:

me too - waiting for an update before i head upstairs.

• Options
    imagesecuccaro:
    imagebrandonsfuturewife07:
    imageJillStar:
    imageMama Jan:

imageJillStar:

me too - waiting for an update before i head upstairs.

I just checked back for an update, too. :z

• Options
    Jillstar....I'm dying here!!! Update soon please. 
  • Options

I'm okay, but totally freaking out.  Comcast says they didn't send anyone. I'm going to have to call the police. Ugh.

• Options
    Yes, Call police now!
  • Options
    Now I'm so freaked out for you.  Please call the police ASAP and keep us updated!
  • Options
    imageJillStar:

I'm okay, but totally freaking out.  Comcast says they didn't send anyone. I'm going to have to call the police. Ugh.

Oh honey!! GL!  I'm all shaken up about you.  Can DH get home, I'm thinking you may need someone with you right now.  I would!!

• Options

Hopefully, final update.  I called my local Comcast # (instead of the 800 number) and they did have a record of a technician coming out tonight to respond to a complaint we made back in October about internet service (Sidenote, seriously....3 months ago?).  DH is almost home and I've calmed down.  Thanks for all of your concern.  I have learned a very valuable lesson.  I can't believe I was such an idiot.

• Options
    imageJillStar:

Hopefully, final update.  I called my local Comcast # (instead of the 800 number) and they did have a record of a technician coming out tonight to respond to a complaint we made back in October about internet service (Sidenote, seriously....3 months ago?).  DH is almost home and I've calmed down.  Thanks for all of your concern.  I have learned a very valuable lesson.  I can't believe I was such an idiot.

SO GLAD. You poor thing, how terrifying. Thank you so much for posting though... you've reminded a lot of people to be more cautious, and that's definitely a good thing.

• Options
    imageJillStar:

I would still call the police. If the very least, the popos can go lecture the fools responsible for sending this guy out and how random night-time visits cause big safety concerns.

I would also make sure that line they put in was legit... You wouldn't want someone tapping into all of your info on your computer.

I know, sounds crazy, but I'd rather be crazy & alive, LOL.

• Options
    imageJillStar:

seriously?  3months late they send someone at NIGHT???  i would at least write up a complaint.  

i'm glad everything seems to be ok.  oh, and NEVER do that again, okay? 

Caleb.02.01.08 | Asher.07.06.09 | Jude.01.19.12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mama Jan's Kitchen... a food blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    imageMama Jan:
    imageJillStar:

seriously?  3months late they send someone at NIGHT???  i would at least write up a complaint.  

i'm glad everything seems to be ok.  oh, and NEVER do that again, okay? 

No problem, believe me this will never happen again.  A complaint is a good idea.  If I'm ever ready to laugh about this, I will try to remember that the guy did apologize for showing up so late...little did I know he meant he was 3 months late.

• Options

All these posts gave me the chills..but thank you because it made me more aware.  I'm from a small town in Connecticut where my parents still do not ever lock their doors..moved to New Jersey, in a really nice area, but still..I am way too trusting.  I probably would've opened the door too..in general tho there are lots of things I will be changing in my daily life now because of this post!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would've (a) asked for some sort of ID (b) told him to wait outside while you called Comcast to verify it and then (c) only let him in if you had it verified. If I'm home alone with DD I very rarely open the door unless I'm expecting someone (courier, friend, etc). We do have a peephole so I also spy so if you don't look like someone I know or the post man or UPS, you ain't gettin' in my door!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"