1st Trimester
Options

10 vials of blood??? Is that normal?

So I had my first OB appointment today.  Things have changed in the 2 years since my son was born, stemming from a new clinic.  The appointment today was just an interview with a nurse, and I don't remember that happening last time, I thought I saw my MW right away.

Anyway, they took 10 vials of blood, and a urine sample!  I expected the urine sample, and maybe a couple of vials of blood, but 10?  Wow.  I really don't think they've taken that many for my other pregnancies!  By the time she got to the 10th, she barely got any blood, but she shrugged and said it was enough for the CBC (?).  

How many did they take from you?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 10 vials of blood??? Is that normal?

• Options
    I think that is a lot! Granted, I can't watch when they are taking the blood, but I'm pretty sure the most I've ever seen sitting there at the end of the process is 2 or 3?!?!?!
  • Options
    None!  Hmmm, I wonder why they needed all that?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    They didn't take any blood tell my 12 week appt and then it was only 4 vials.
    Wedding 6.18.04 Cole 11.20.06 Gavin 3.31.08 Parker 07.15.10 Logan 04.03.12
  • Options
    mine was about 6-8
  • Options
    Everything is going normally.  I do know that they added one extra one because the nurse asked me if I wanted a repeat Hcg value (I've already done 2 because of my MC last month) and I said sure, I'd love more reassurance, but that still leaves 9!  I guess I'll see when they email me the results.  I think they take a separate vial for each test.
  • Options
    They only took 2 or 3 from me as well.
  • Options

They took 5 at mine. They told me it used to be 8, but they had recently changed processes to combine some.

It's all based on what blood tests your OB normally orders and if she did any special for you. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    By law my OB office has to test for things like HIV and other STDs.  I want to say they took like 6 vials for me, but I am one of those who can't watch.  She told me how many, but I just don't remeber.
  • Options
    My ob tested for about everythin gand they took 7 vials of blood. They took two big ones and the rest were small ones.
  • Options

imageMarknCalsMommy:
    Everything is going normally.  I do know that they added one extra one because the nurse asked me if I wanted a repeat Hcg value (I've already done 2 because of my MC last month) and I said sure, I'd love more reassurance, but that still leaves 9!  I guess I'll see when they email me the results.  I think they take a separate vial for each test.

I asked at my last appt and the girl told me they can take 2 or 3 tests from one vial.

• Options
    I had 9 vials taken for my first visit, but I can't remember off the top of my head what each one was.
  • Options

wow, this is freaking me out.  I am not afraid of needles but have a fear of blood draw and get light headed...any recommendations?  are most of them small?

when I did my first serum pregnancy test, they sure seemed to take a lot...I was thinking...why do they need that much in a vial for one test!?

DS born 8/2010 - preliminary stages of SN int'l adoption - fur mama to 2 shelter dogs;  cloth diapering, babywearing, EBFing mama

• Options

That seems like a lot.  They took 4 vials from me, and I thought that was a lot.  Usually, I only get 2 vials taken for normal, non-pregnancy bloodwork.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Yup!  I had 7 vials and a pee sample.  Sounds about right.

• Options
    I work on a labor and delivery floor and the amount seems pretty normal to me. Lots of the tests that we do at my hospital have to be in their own tube. Yes, some tests can be combined BUT if your lab at your hospital cannot perform the specific test, it will be sent out to another lab. "Send Off" labs are almost always drawn in their own tubes. Most tubes of blood do require 7cc or ml of blood, some are 4cc and the cbc is 2cc. Each tube has it's own required amount, so the fact that your cbc test was only a small amount is totally normal. The urine test is used for several reasons....sometimes it is nothing more than a baseline for future urine samples, or to see if you have proteins,bacteria, or glucose in your urine. Don't freak out....tons of labs are normal and every OB requires a different amount of baseline tests.....my hospital also takes 10-11 vials of blood along with urine....H&H 9 months!!
    Siggy Challenge - Summer Movie Scenes

• Options
    They took 3 from me. Odd that they took so much from you, unless it was just a little in each. Were they all completely full?
  • Options
    2 the 1st visit hcg and progesterone and yesterday at my 2nd they took 4.
  • Options

Thank you Josie!  I don't think they send any out, but I guess it's possible.

Yeah, they were all full accept for the last one!  And about half were the larger vials, and the other half the smaller one.

• Options
    imagebrideatbeach:

imageMarknCalsMommy:

I asked at my last appt and the girl told me they can take 2 or 3 tests from one vial.

It depends on the test.  Some can be done multiple tests from one vial of blood, but a lot of tests require different tubes be used.  If you pay attention the next time you have blood drawn, you'll see that there are different colored tops.  Some are serum seperators, some keep the blood from clotting,etc.

I think I had 7 vials done with dd.

• Options
    imageMarknCalsMommy:

So I had my first OB appointment today.  Things have changed in the 2 years since my son was born, stemming from a new clinic.  The appointment today was just an interview with a nurse, and I don't remember that happening last time, I thought I saw my MW right away.

Anyway, they took 10 vials of blood, and a urine sample!  I expected the urine sample, and maybe a couple of vials of blood, but 10?  Wow.  I really don't think they've taken that many for my other pregnancies!  By the time she got to the 10th, she barely got any blood, but she shrugged and said it was enough for the CBC (?).  

How many did they take from you?

One is always a toss, so they really needed 9 from you.

At my appt to confirm preg (PCP not OB) they took 2 to do a HCG count.

Then at my intake appt they took 4 and ran a hematology panel, typed my blood, and ran the STD tests.  I haven't had my progesterone levels yet.

The issue is for certain tests they need the blood in serum or not and with different colored tops.  So if each test they want requires a different top they have to draw a vial for each one.

• Options
    They arent doing my blood work until b/w 14 and 16 weeks.  So I am not sure.
  • Options
    I was laying down and looking the other way, but I believe it was 4 viles
  • Options

Mine was about the same.  The nurse explained to me that based on race, age and history, they take more or less vials.  Also, if you asked for any special tests (i.e. I asked for a toxoplasmosis test), they take additional blood. 

Don't stress too much.  But make sure to drink your orange juice!  :)

• Options
    I think I had 9 vials when I went for DD 3 years ago.
  • Options
    Wow!  I had 13 vials taken from me.  I just remember counting down.  It took forever.  I don't even know for what I was tested, I just remember my OB had circled many things on the lab paperwork. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"