1st Trimester

Meat temperature while pregnant

I've heard that you have to eat red meat well done while pregnant, but the idea of that makes me queasy! I'm a medium rare kind of gal. Can someone please send me a link to info where it states this?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Meat temperature while pregnant

• https://www.pregnancy-info.net/foods_to_avoid.html

Pregnant women should avoid all undercooked meats. Remember to take precautions when preparing meats: make sure your steak has an internal temperature of 170 degrees Fahrenheit and heat hamburger and pork to 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Hot dogs are safe to eat during pregnancy, just be sure to heat them until they are steaming.

• I think I'll just skip red meat all together if I can't have it MR. Med-well and Well make me Ick!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Burgers are what you really have to worry about since it's ground beef.  There could be bacteria anywhere.  With a steak I wouldn't worry about it as much.  I'll probably have some medium steaks.  That's just my opinion.
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Meh. I ordered medium cooked steaks instead of MR when pg with DD.  I just made sure all my other meats were completely cooked. 
  • imagelsulaura:

https://www.pregnancy-info.net/foods_to_avoid.html

Pregnant women should avoid all undercooked meats. Remember to take precautions when preparing meats: make sure your steak has an internal temperature of 170 degrees Fahrenheit and heat hamburger and pork to 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Hot dogs are safe to eat during pregnancy, just be sure to heat them until they are steaming.

This defies science.  The problem with meats is typically on the outside which is well seared even in a rare steak.  What you have to worry about is when it is all ground up like hamburgers because now that bacteria is mixed throughout so you should cook your hamburgers better than your steaks.

I will stick with medium rare steaks and medium to medium well burgers.

• imagelsulaura:

Hot dogs are safe to eat during pregnancy

What else would you do with them?  Big Smile

I'm going to make an AWESOME big brother.

Pregnancy Ticker

• I thought I was going to have to give up my steaks since anything over medium rare is gross to me.My doctor said no raw meat or fish (bye bye sashimi and carpaccio) but she is fine with my having a rare steak.  I try to eat hamburgers that are cooked to at least medium.

Different doctor have different comfort levels with your diet.  My doctor doesn't want me eating soft cheese (even pasteurized) unless it warmed or part of a hot dish.  But, she is fine with deli meats that are sliced in front of me and rare steak.  You just have to find what you and your doctor are comfortable with.  You might want to hold off on any food that you have questions about until you see the doctor and get their okay.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"