Orange County Babies
Options

CA State Disability question

How long after you submitted your paperwork did you receive your first disability check?

My salary continuation (from being out on bed rest) runs out on Monday the 10th and that is when I will start my CA Disability.  I am sending in the paperwork this Thursday.  I know they make you take a week off unpaid (right?) but did you get your first check the following week?

Thanks!

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: CA State Disability question

• Options

About 2.5 weeks.

ETA: and yes, you're right about the 7 day waiting period.

• Options
    Perfect, thank you!  I keep hearing about long delays with unemployment checks and was wondering if disability checks were in the same boat.

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had problems getting my checks.... BUT if you call them to ask where it is, they are pretty quick at getting it out to you... I think I received a total of 3 checks (in 12 weeks) b/c they were just putting them together since they were so behind.  So make sure you call if you arent getting your checks when you're supposed to! Good Luck Smile
  • Options
    Mine came really fast - about 2 weeks.
  • Options
    I wonder if it would help if I went to the local office to file my paperwork.  Maybe I will try that on Friday...

• Options
    I shoulda mentioned that my first check came right on time... didnt get paid for the first week so it came bout 2.5 weeks after I had my son (worked up until the daY).  Then the payments started getting funky
  • Options

So I am totally screwed on this.  I just called to ask them a question, and found out that because I didn't file my claim within 49 days of becoming disabled (even though I was being paid by my company for 90 days) I will be penalized and ineligible to receive benefits for an additional (90-49) 41 days.

FML.

Thanks, HR department, for telling me not to file with CA until my salary continuation runs out (next week).

• Options
    Oh no, that sucks Kim!!  I'm sorry. 
    forcing sisterly love since 07.06.10
  • Options

But she did say that if I send in a letter explaining what happened, the person processing my claim might take pity on me and not penalize me as much.  Whatever that means.  Oh well. 

I left a message with HR, because really, they should have explained this differently.  I did as they instructed and now I am being penalized.  Plus I have Long Term Disbaility insurance that will make up the difference in my regular pay and what CA pays me, so I am trying to see if they will pay me in full while I am being "penalized" by CA.  I feel like I am being put in time out by the state for something stupid. They would not have paid me while I was being paid by my company, so what does it matter to them?!

This is NOT what I need to be dealing with right now...

• Options

imagekimarino13:

But she did say that if I send in a letter explaining what happened, the person processing my claim might take pity on me and not penalize me as much.  Whatever that means.  Oh well. 

Oy vey.  It shocking how the state stays afloat.  For your sanity, I hope your HR steps in.

Look how close you are!  I hope you're feeling well and the girls stay nice and cozy a bit longer.

forcing sisterly love since 07.06.10
  • Options
    I'm sorry Kim, that really blows!!
  • Options
    Oh, Kim that totally sucks! I hope they work with you (both the state AND your HR.).
  • Options

imagekimarino13:
    Perfect, thank you!  I keep hearing about long delays with unemployment checks and was wondering if disability checks were in the same boat.

I got mine fast. Much faster than I expected. I think it was about 2 weeks. And that was in the middle of the IOU madness earlier this year.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"