Preemies

Anyone not agree with NICU evaluation?

DD went to her NICU evaluation which they do at NYU at 6 months (corrected age).  They basically said that she is absolutely fine and needs no early intervention.  I'm just not sure if I agree with that.  She'll be 9 months old at the end of this month (actual) and she shows no interest in rolling over in either direction, has no interest in solids, can't sit up without a lot of support, etc.  I realize that they base her milestones on her adjusted age of 6 mos, but I still feel like she should be a little further ahead even by that standard.  Cognitively she is very bright and socially she is the life of the party, I'll give her that!  But gross and fine motor-wise, she just ain't there, folks.  Do they not see that?  Any advice?  Thanks!

(I should also mention that she was severe IUGR) 

BFP #1 - Chemical Pregnancy ----BFP#2 - DD born at 32 weeks-----BFP #3 Spontaneous Identical Twin Boys lost due to Missed M/C - on 7/1/11----BFP #4 Baby girl lost due to Trisomy 22 on 1/6/12 PGAL and PAL Always Welcome! Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Anyone not agree with NICU evaluation?

• It is a fine line, for sure, because while she is 8 months old, you have to account for those 8 weeks she was early.  It is so hard to not compare what babies are doing that are her (actual) age and use 6 month old babies instead.

But you have to go with your gut.  If you really feel strongly about it, press on.  There are (I am sure) lots of resources available and I am sure your pedi can refer you to EI. 

((Hugs)).  I know it is a tough spot to be in.  Hopefully some of the other ladies have some sound advice for you!!

3/22/09 - Lily Grace, born at 33 weeks, 2 days
    9/12/14 - M/C @ 7 weeks, 1 day (ectopic)

• Our NICU eval said the same thing (based on his adjusted age, he's on track and doesn' tneed therapy) but then I have FIrst Steps telling me he needs therapy.  Funny how that works, huh?

IMO she's not expected to be at a 9 month level - she's expected to be at a 6 month level.  We're in your shoes and what we decided to do was this

-cut back on therapy from 1 hour to only 30 minutes per week

-continue therapy until Andrew starts crawling (he's close - just army crawling now) and then at that point, cut back on therapy to every other week for 30 minutes

-if Andrew continues to follow his adjusted age, in April, after his 1 year adjusted NICU followup, we'll stop therapy completely. 

So we did a hybrid of the advice from the doctor and the advice from the OT.  

FWIW Ii tend to agree with the doctor, that he doesn't need therapy because he's been developing on par with his adjusted age and I think he'll catch up in his own time, but figured I would rather air on the more therapy side than less.  Plus if nothing else they can keep an eye on him for any red flags, especially since he had a level 2 and 4 IVH.

GL!

• Loading the player...
  • I would go with your gut and get the EI evaluation just to be sure. If she qualifeis, then its some extra help!

Our NICU followups said both they boys were doing fine. Dylan is a little behind in gross motor but thats it.  BUt they both qualifed for EI. The NICU people were shocked that Carter qualified. He was sitting up unsupported at 5 months adjusted for crying out loud! And he has been hands and knes crawling  for a couple weeks now so before 8 months adjusted and is trying to pull to a stand!  As soon as he is able to put himself in a sitting position, I think I'm going to take him out of therapy

My point it, I also don't get the differeing opnionos. It's wierd.  But have the evaulation. It cant hurt

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • You're the mom - go with your gut.  You see her everyday; they saw her for at most a few hours.  In NC you can refer yourself to Early Intervention.  I would give them a call and have them come do an evaluation. 

I tend to err on the "too much therapy" side.  I just don't want to ever look back and think there was something more I could have done (but I have a guilt complex! :)).  Good luck!

• Hmmm, now I'm confused.  I originally thought that the NICU was the early intervention evaluation.  Is it possible to get evaluated separately by the EI people?  Also, our pediatrician said she leaned toward Francie getting EI, but wasn't sure she qualified.  Thanks for pointing all this out, I will have to look into it!
    BFP #1 - Chemical Pregnancy ----BFP#2 - DD born at 32 weeks-----BFP #3 Spontaneous Identical Twin Boys lost due to Missed M/C - on 7/1/11----BFP #4 Baby girl lost due to Trisomy 22 on 1/6/12 PGAL and PAL Always Welcome! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We has our EI eval yesterday and LO didn't qualify based on her development but did based on her "extreme prematurity" (she was 11 weeks early).. so I would call them directly and see what you need to do to get an evaluation.  
  • Yes the NICU and EI are completely separate.  It depends on your state but either you or your doctor would need to contact EI for an evaluation and then based on their criteria they would determine whether or not your daughter qualified for their services.  I work for EI in MA and because we use actual age not adjusted age my boys qualified for services.  Tomorrow they have a re-assessment and have to be at a 7 month age to qualify for services... well they are 10 months actual, and 7.5 months adjusted so for them to even be 7 months is really close to their adjusted.  Based on your NICU equivalents your child may qualify for EI depending on whether or not your state bases age on adjusted or actual for EI purposes.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"