Adoption
Options

When did you tell others that you were adopting?

Hi,

I was just wondering when you told people that you were planning to adopt other than family.  Mainly friends.  I have told my close friends, but should I wait until we are approved before telling other people, or do you think it is beneficial to have their support? Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: When did you tell others that you were adopting?

• Options
    We were pretty much an open book from Day 1.  Easier that way.  We didn't have to tiptoe around wondering/remember who knew and who didn't.
  • Options
    We told people when it felt weird not to. So it really depends on the relationship we had with them. But we didn't really tell people too much until we decided for sure to do it and were somewhat underway.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We were open from day one too...we have tons of adoption in our families though, so it wasn't a big leap for anyone.

• Options

Open book here as well. We've been that way with both our IF journey and our adoption journey. It has also helped open the minds and eyes of the people around us who never knew about IF and adoption!

PS - your dog = sooo much cuteness!!!

• Options
    I told everyone about my adoption plans from the beginning. It's great to have lots of support along the way, because adoption can be a very long and stressful journey sometimes.
  • Options
    We told our extended family once we decided to go with a particular agency. I kindof just told friends & coworkers when it came up after that. Some people at work still don't know but they will hear me or someone else say something and then get a confused look and I'll say.. "Oh we are adopting!" LOL Most of my friends though knew right after our family. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Most of the immediate family and close friends knew about our IF struggles so they were in the loop already when we decided to adopt. We decided to tell extended family and others we wanted to know as soon as we signed on with our agency. We actually put a little blurb in our Christmas cards this year.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    we only told our immediate circle of family and friends that we needed for reference and then when we were licensed and a home study was completed we allowed those people to start telling others.  Then, for everyone else we included it in our Christmas family newsletter.
  • Options
    We won't even be applying for another year or more, but we're very open about it.  I'm glad, because it took some of our family several months to even get comfortable with the idea.  This way, they'll all be up to speed and on board by the time we get going.  I've also made some great connections through some of my co-workers.  Agency recs, personal stories/advice, etc.  It's been great!
  • Options

We told our immediate family and anyone we wanted to use as references during our homestudy process, but held off telling others until we were homestudy approved.  We just wanted to make sure that we wouldn't be denied before we shared the news with others.  The last thing we'd want if we didn't pass the homestudy was to explain to everyone what happened.

To be honest, keeping the secrete was tough at times, but we've been in process for almost two years now, and it's also tough when everyone's always asking for updates and you have nothing new to tell them.  Do what feels right to your husband and you, but make sure you are in agreement, whatever that is.

• Options
    The only person who knows right now is MIL (and I assume she has said something to FIL).  We haven't really decided on what type of adoption, so we are refraining from telling people until we make some decisions.  The only reason I said something to MIL was because she mentioned that one of her acquaintances is trying to persuade her to be a FP, and I let her know that DH and I had talked about foster/adopt.
  • Options

We were pretty open as well.  We didn't do any big announcement or anything.  We just told people as we saw them.  Everyone was really excited. 

I think you should just tell people when it feels right to you.  Adoption is such a lengthy process, that I enjoyed being able to tell people about the baby steps we were making during the homestudy process.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, I appreciate it.  DH and I feel comfortable enough to tell people.  I just wonder when I should talk to my boss about it?  My work is very family oriented and supportive, I think I will tell them when we get approved, although since a lot of my co workers are my friends too, they already know. Smile
  • Options
    My boss has two adoptive grandchildren, and my coworker adopted a son, so I knew that I would have support at the office.  I told my boss during the homestudy process, because I needed an employment letter, and didn't feel right asking HR before confiding in him.  If I didn't need that letter, I would have waited until I told middle/upper management, at the completion of our homestudy.  At the time, I asked that he not mention it to anyone, and I'm sure he kept my confidence.
  • Options

imageHElizabethDU:
    Thanks ladies, I appreciate it.  DH and I feel comfortable enough to tell people.  I just wonder when I should talk to my boss about it?  My work is very family oriented and supportive, I think I will tell them when we get approved, although since a lot of my co workers are my friends too, they already know. Smile

It depends on the type of relationship you have with your boss.  I told mine when we started the process, but didn't talk much more about it until our homestudy was approved.  Once our homestudy was approved, I explained that we could have a baby in a day or in a year, or never.  I explained that we might receive 2-3 months notice, or we might receive none.  Essentially, we are pregnant but don't know the due date.  He was very supportive.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

We've told people in layers. Some of my closer friends have been following along, so it was an organic part of the conversation. We let a few people know in our Christmas cards, and asked them to think good thoughts for us. I told core people at work once our HS was approved, and a few more once our profile went active.

Do what works for you. Good luck!

• Options
    I usually tell people when they are asking nosey questions like "when are you going to have another baby?" I have been pretty open about IF and now that we have a plan to move forward with adoption I am open with it too.  Maybe it gives them some perspective on IF and adoption, or if anything maybe they'll stop and think before they pipe off to the next woman struggling with IF or waiting through the adoption process. :)
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Just days after we decided to pursue adoption we told literally almost every person we know via email, but that's because we are trying to find a birth mother through our own networking rather than through an agency.
  • Options
    We have been pretty much an open book (was the same with our IF journey as well).  We started telling people (mainly church members and coworkers) once my hysterectomy was scheduled that we were moving forward with adoption (our family and close friends had already known at that point).  IF and adoption is very much a part of my story and my life and just like my journey with chronic illness I try to be open and honest in hopes of raising awareness.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I am half and half right now.  Our immediate family knows (parents and siblings) and our close friends.  I've seen lots of people announcing their pregnancies on Facebook and would love to announce our adoption, but I am holding off until we are matched.  I might change my mind once the home study is completed.. but I am afraid of being pitied (sp?).  But I don't want pity.. I want to scream it from the rooftops!! "AFTER ALL THAT TTC.. WE ARE ADOPTING!!"  But I am not naive enough to think that everyone will rejoice with us, some will offer sympathy.

I would just go with your gut... most of the time, if we are asked about kids (depending on the person) we'll answer two ways: 1) Not yet or 2) We're actually starting the adoption process.   It just depends on how many more questions we want to answer.

• Options

I have only told my immediate family. Since I'm doing an embryo adoption first, it's more likely to be a big to do and I'm not going to put myself through any unneeded stress beforehand. I know they'll be very happy afterwards so I'll wait and get it all out there then.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"