Working Moms
Options

Just returned to work...Lots of pumping questions!

Today is my first day back to work and I've been pumping.  I have questions.  Any advice is appreciated!! (FYI - I have Medela PIS)

1) The plan is to feed DD at 7am, then pump when I get to work around 8am.  Then pump at 10, 12:30, and 3:30.  Is the 8am pumping session necessary?

2) I don't want to keep my pump parts in the work frige. It it ok to just rinse them and keep them in the bag for other feedings?  Do I need to worry about bacteria growth?

3) What do you do when a pumping time falls during a meeting?  How do your co-workers handle when you excuse yourself?

4) When I pump, I wait until the spraying stops.  Some drops keep slowly coming out, but I just stop when the spraying stops. Do I need to be waiting for the drops to stop?  Do I need to be waiting for a second let-down?  Is the rule to just keep pumping for 15 min?

5) Anyone using the Medela wipes?  What are your thoughts on these?

6) A lady at work told me that if I'm pumping, my supply will slowly diminish over time b/c the pump is just not as efficent as my LO.  Is this true?  I've never heard this before.

7) Any tips on pumping and traveling are appreciated.  What is the longest trip you've taken and how did you pull it off?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Just returned to work...Lots of pumping questions!

• Options

DallasHorn has a great post on this, but I'll try to fill the gap until she can repost for you.

1.  I don't think the 8 am session is necessary.  I always pumped 3X a day (at 10, 1, and 4) and that worked for me.  If you have supply issues, you can add another session, but I would probably start with three sessions and see how it goes.

2.  Yes, you can rinse and keep them in your pump bag.  In fact, I even stopped rinsing about half way through the year and just wrapped them in a clean kitchen towel and stuck them in the bag.  I figured if BM was OK for 8 hours outside the fridge, I didn't need to worry about cleaning my parts during the day.  I just cleaned them at night.

3.  If it was a matter of a half hour or so, I just pumped when I could.  I am also lucky that I was almost always able to schedule around it.  For example, if someone asked it we could meet at 10, I just suggested 11.  If You don't have that kind of flexibility, and it's a long meeting, I always said I had another matter I needed to address, it would take about 15 or 20 minutes and went and pumped.  I was never explicit about what I was doing.

4.  Try to wait for a second let down if you can.  I always tried to pump until I was totally empty.  If not, I tried to go for at least 20 minutes during my first session and at least 15 minutes during my other two sessions.

5.  I bought some of these and thought they were a waste of money and time.  (See answer to No. 2.)

6.  It's true that your pump is not as efficient as your LO, but not necessarily that your supply will diminish.  Just BF on demand at night and on the weekends, whenever you and LO are together.  Supply dips are fairly common, but the women here have some great tips for when you hit one.

7.  There is a whole other post for this one!  My longest trip was 4 days, 3 nights, and I came back with more milk that DS actually consumed!  When you're ready to travel, repost, and we can open that can of worms. :)

Sounds like you are doing great!  Hope your first few days go smoothly!

• Options
    Well, I was going to respond, but PP summed it up so well there's nothing left to say!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't get it...I turn on the pump, get a let down and my milk continues to come out, I pump for ten minutes and get about 4-6 oz, pumping at 10, 1:30 and 4:30.  Is this not normal?

Also, I find that pumping increases my supply and causes clogs.  It is so much nicer having long weekends to ebf my LO.

As for the pump accessories, I just bought double of everything, so I use clean every time and then just wash it all when I get home at night.

• Options

1. 8am session not necessary

2. i use the wipes for first two sessions and then just wash the parts when i get home

3. Depends on how long the meeting is. If i can ill put off pumping for half an hour or just excuse myself from part of the meeting.

4. everyones different. I pump for 13 minutes and usually get at least 3 letdowns. You should pump a few minutes after spraying stops

5. yes as indicated above. they work fine

6. dont think it is true

7. by car? easy just have a battery pack and pull over somewhere. By plane, not sure

• Options
    Wow.  You ladies are amazing.  I'm so thankful for this forum and your advice.  Thank you so much.
  • Options

im going back to work on monday and was going to ask all of the same questions, so thank you!

one question - when you pump do you pump both sides? or just one, then another one at the next pump session?

• Options
    Thanks for all the advise! I go back to work on Tuesday and am not looking forward to it! Where do you pump at work? I sit in a cubicle and there are no private offices to use. I will probably have to use the bathroom. (It is a small room with one toilet and sink) Is this normal?
  • Options

I just started back tow ork and am pumping too. Here's what I'm learning:

1. I wouldnt' do the 8:00 session. It will only have been an hour since you nursed and probably wouldn't get much anyway.

2. I rinse mine off with hot water and leave them out to air dry. If you store them in the bag i would just dry them off as much as possible before storing them.

3. Haven't had this happen yet! But so far my coworkers have been very supportive. My boss knows I'm pumping too. I would probably try to pump either before or after a meeting though.

4. I pump for 15 mins but if I'm in the middle of a let down I wait until it stops.

5. I have them, I use them, but prefer washing parts in hot soapy water instead. But good in a pinch.

6. i've heard this too. A coworker of mine pumped until her LO was about 7 months, then she said she jsut wasn't producing enough anymore. Babies are better able to get the milk than a pump.

7. CAn't help you here but I have seen other posts about working moms that travel.

• Options

It will get easier.  I promise!

1. I don't think the 8 o'clock pumping is necessary, unless your little one is nursing at 8 o'clock too.  I was told that if you only need to pump for as many times as your baby will be eating.

2.  Milk is okay at room temp for 4 hours, so milk parts are absolutly okay for 4 hours.  After that it depends on what you want to do.  I just rinse the parts and after 3 months haven't had a problem.   I have a friend who buys those microwave sanitize bags (at Target) and just pops it in the microwave for a few minutes after she pumps (no washing).  I used to use those medela pump accessory wipes then rinse the parts and just got tired of wiping everything down. 

3.  At first I was obsessed with pumping at exactly the right time.  After 3 months I've learned that it's ok to be flexible.  YOUR SUPPLY WILL BE JUST FINE.  Everyone likes to freak mommies out about this.  Like we don't have enough to worry about already!  So you're supposed to pump at 10 and you have a meeting 10-11.  It'll be totally fine if you pump at 9:30.  You might be a little fuller before your 12:30 pumping so maybe pump at 12 or 12:15.  Your little mommy body is amazing and will be fine with whatever you need to do!

4.  Don't wait until the drops stop.  This is "pumping empty" and your baby doesn't do that all the time.  Ask your daycare provider how many ounces your little one is eating.  Pump enough to cover that.  For the first few weeks just pump till the spraying stops.

5.  Liked the wipes.  Never had any problems.  I always rinsed the parts afterwards, just to be safe.  I just got tired of buying them.

6.  Like I said before, people try to freak you out for no good reason.  If anything, my supply has increased (I tend to pump probably an ounce or two more than I should so I have more than I need when I'm with my baby).  I've been freaked out a few times by well meaning co-workers though so I've invested in the "More milk plus" herbs that stimulate your milk production.  I'm sure they helped, but more importantly, they made me feel better so I took them.  Babies do clean you out better than any pump can but you're still pumping enough ounces, so your little mommy body will make that many ounces the next day.  Every day. 

I was very overwhelmed with pumping in the beginning (and washing all those parts!!!)  Hang in there, you'll be surprised at how much easier it'll be even next week. 

• Options

Do what your baby does.  When I started going back to work my daughter was only nursing on one side, so I only pumped one side.  When she got bigger nursed from both sides I started pumping most of the ounces off the side she would start on and then a small amount on the other side.  So I pump 4-5 on one side, 1-2 oz on the other.  Next pumping time, switch to pumping about 4 on the size you pumped 1 oz from last time. 

• Options

I agree with most of the above advice...

however, I would stick with the 8 am pump session. For me , the morning is when I would have the most milk. I was not able to pump at work other than on lunch so pumping in the morning was the biggest way i was able to maintain supply and keep up with daycare bottles. I would just pump on the other breast that he did not nurse on while he was eating in the morning.After he started eating pretty quickly, I just started pumping one or both sides after he fed instead.

I have ALWAYS pumped both sides. I can't imagine only doing one.

It takes me a long time, massaging my breasts to pump, so I always pumped till i couldn't get more milk out. Your pump is less efficient than the baby so if you still feel pretty full then you likely are not emptying the breast very well. If you pump a lot more than the baby is taking, it is all just good stuff to freeze for later.

I never used the work fridge- just had 2 sets of pump parts. I would just clean them at home using the sterilizer bag in the morning after pumping. I would not clean them at all if had been less than 4 hours since I last pumped. Otherwise I would just use the wipes.

• Options
    imagekrmlaw:

im going back to work on monday and was going to ask all of the same questions, so thank you!

one question - when you pump do you pump both sides? or just one, then another one at the next pump session?

Ditto a pp -- pump both sides at the same time, every session.

• Options

image*JennP*:
    Thanks for all the advise! I go back to work on Tuesday and am not looking forward to it! Where do you pump at work? I sit in a cubicle and there are no private offices to use. I will probably have to use the bathroom. (It is a small room with one toilet and sink) Is this normal?

Have you called and asked whether there is another place you could use?  I'd start with HR. 

Some people do have to pump in the bathroom, but most people try to find somewhere else.  I know a couple of women here have pumped in their cars instead of using a bathroom.

• Options

I'm back after a week visiting DH's family.  My BF wisdom post can be found in both these locations:

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/25559948.aspx (BF board)

https://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/25560240.aspx (working mom's board)

imagejulieb00lie:

Today is my first day back to work and I've been pumping.  I have questions.  Any advice is appreciated!! (FYI - I have Medela PIS)

1) The plan is to feed DD at 7am, then pump when I get to work around 8am.  Then pump at 10, 12:30, and 3:30.  Is the 8am pumping session necessary? I would say no UNLESS your LO normally gets a bottle at that time. The rule of thumb is that you should pump whenever your baby would be getting a bottle.

2) I don't want to keep my pump parts in the work frige. It it ok to just rinse them and keep them in the bag for other feedings?  Do I need to worry about bacteria growth? I have reused pump parts without washing. Since BM can be out for up to 8 hours, it shouldn't be a problem. However, what I prefer is to have multiple sets of pump parts and an empty grocery bag. After using I put the dirty parts in the bag and use a new set at the next pumping session then wash everything at night. I also suggest having extra pump parts b/c I have found that at times something breaks/cracks, it's always out at BRU and I have to go to the speciality nursing store which has less hours.

3) What do you do when a pumping time falls during a meeting?  How do your co-workers handle when you excuse yourself? I always block out reoccuring meetings for my normal pumping times to avoid this.  However, on occassion if a meeting has run really long, then I'll pump while driving on my way home. Or if it's a meeting like an all day meetings, I'll simply excuse myself and go pump (usually a bit of a shorter session) then return to the meeting. When I do my first pumping after the meeting, I let that be a nice long pumping session.

4) When I pump, I wait until the spraying stops.  Some drops keep slowly coming out, but I just stop when the spraying stops. Do I need to be waiting for the drops to stop?  Do I need to be waiting for a second let-down?  Is the rule to just keep pumping for 15 min? This is when you should do breast massages and compressions - you will get more out!! Often times this may be another ounce or so.

5) Anyone using the Medela wipes?  What are your thoughts on these? I found these good for when I was traveling.

6) A lady at work told me that if I'm pumping, my supply will slowly diminish over time b/c the pump is just not as efficent as my LO.  Is this true?  I've never heard this before. In my experience (2 weeks back to back pumping M-F while traveling), I did see a bit of a decline in my output by the second Friday. It IS true that pumping is not as efficient as a baby, but there are women who successfully ONLY pump. I have always said to working mom's who want to BF, when you are with baby, nurse as much as possible instead of bottles.

7) Any tips on pumping and traveling are appreciated.  What is the longest trip you've taken and how did you pull it off? I sent you a PM with some follow up's on this. The longest trip I took was 2 full weeks (back to back) being home late Friday evening until early Monday morning.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"