Working Moms

Nanny vs DC qs

EXCUSE MY ALL CAPS, I DON'T KNOW WHY MY PHONE IS STUCK.  TELL ME YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT NANNY VS DC. MY LO DOES NOT NAP AT DC,  SO I THINK A NANNY WOULD SOLVE THAT ISSUE. BUT MY LO ALSO SEEMS TO ENJOY DC,  SO I HATE TO REMOVE HIM FROM THAT. I ALSO LIKE THAT THERE ARE A NUMBER OF CAREGIVERS AT DC SO I DON'T FEEL LIKE THERE IS ONE PERSON ACTING AS MOMMY (I'M  SURE THIS IS MY OWN INSECURITY W/ ME HAVING TO WORK & HAVING SONEONESOMEONE ELSE CARE FOR MY LO)

Re: Nanny vs DC qs

• How long has your child been at DC?
  • He has been at daycare since he was 8 weeks old...so almost 8 months.  He is happy there and I am happy with the daycare.  My biggest issue lately is trying to figure out how he can nap--he needs sleep.  Both me and DH work and by the time I pick up our LO, he is exhausted.  I normally allow him to crash as soon as we get home (b/w 6-630 pm) & we wake him up to feed and bath him and its immediately back to bed.
  • Loading the player...
  • Also, if you pay the nanny $ (rather than withholding taxes or even reporting as 1099), is there still a tax credit or is that only for DC (the $3k)?

I have just set up a dependent day care FSA, but can change it through today.  I may do that now, just in case we go with a nanny at some point during the year

• Have you talked to the Dc about changing his schedule a little? If you don't have a tax ID for a nanny, you can't use FSAs.
  • Thanks, I found all the info on the irs site.

Problem is, he does not really have a "schedule" at DC other than to be fed every 3 hours.  They have no designated nap times in the infant room. 

• When does he move to the next room?

DD had this problem in the infant room.  In the Infant II room, which started around 9 months I think, they had more of a schedule.  The toddler room, however,  has been our godsend.  They are all on a great schedule.

DD was a crappy napper until 11 or 12 months.  But, she was a crappy napper at home, too.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageGraciousMrs:

Also, if you pay the nanny $ (rather than withholding taxes or even reporting as 1099), is there still a tax credit or is that only for DC (the $3k)?

oh my.  seriously? 

no, if you cheat the IRS by paying your nanny under the table, the IRS does not give you a corresponding tax break for the under the table payments.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageIblamethebeer:
    imageGraciousMrs:

Also, if you pay the nanny $ (rather than withholding taxes or even reporting as 1099), is there still a tax credit or is that only for DC (the $3k)?

oh my.  seriously? 

no, if you cheat the IRS by paying your nanny under the table, the IRS does not give you a corresponding tax break for the under the table payments.

Thanks, but being a new parent (and until I looked it up on the tax website), I did not understand what that credit was for....snark much or just an employee of the IRS?

• imageGraciousMrs:
    imageIblamethebeer:
    imageGraciousMrs:

oh my.  seriously? 

holy crap seriously, some of us don't know these things. I just set up an account and I don't know all the rules yet.

Thanks, but being a new parent (and until I looked it up on the tax website), I did not understand what that credit was for....snark much or just an employee of the IRS?

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"