Stay at Home Moms

What do I wear during day/How much $$ do U spend on YOU clothes?

As a SAHM, I live in my sweats/shorts, etc.  When we go out, I get in my jeans, do my make-up/hair, etc.  That being said, I have not had a reason to go and get myself new clothes since having children (2.5 years ago)...b/c I am COVERED in snot/food/tears/cleaners, etc.  I also have no problem going to Target and buying a whole slew of T's to wear during the day.

DH and I just went out and went shopping...the stuff he wants to me wear is SO impractical to dealing with a house/cooking/running after two kids, etc..I'm not gonna wear tight jeans, a beaded tank and sweater....I can wear that when we go out....

That being said...he wants me to buy myself more stuff...AND when talking to my girlfriends, they all seems to go out each month and bloe a TON of money on clothes for themselves....

It got me thinking...how much do you, a SAHM, purchase in new clothing/and how often? What do you wear during the day when tending to kids/house?

Re: What do I wear during day/How much $$ do U spend on YOU clothes?

• I have been buying clothes a lot since having DD, but it's partly because I am not the same size I was before. I'm up 2 sizes from pre-pg so I've had to shop. I shop sales, at least.

On a daily basis I usually wear jeans and a shirt. Not anything dressy, but not a plain t-shirt, either. I found these fabulous danskin pants though that I am now wearing a lot. They are so freaking comfortable!! If we're going out somewhere, I put on a dressier shirt and wear boots instead of flip flops or sneakers.

eta - if i had to put a $ figure on it, probably between 50ish/mo on average. Which is a lot to me! Dh rarely buys clothes for himself. He gets jeans from people for Christmas and hasn't bought a non-work (polo or button) shirt in years.

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Well....I like to shop, a lot, and I leave the house at least once a day, so I tend to dress up a bit. I am a jeans whore, so I usually wear jeans or nicer trousers (I am obsessed with Hei Hei pants right now) and then a nice-ish top (no t-shirts). These days I pretty much live in skinny jeans, a layering tank, a cardigan or wrap sweater, and boots. Summer I wear mostly skirts and dresses since they are so easy. I buy stuff seasonally, and pick up the odd thing here and there when I am out. I bought a lot of stuff the past few months, but that is because I lost 10 pounds and went down 2 pants sizes, so I was swimming in my clothes.  In the mornings I wear my gym clothes, but DS and I usually run errands or have lunch together after the gym so I make sure those are on the nicer side as well.

That is always how I have been, though. Pre-DS I never wore jeans or casual clothes at all, and lived in heels, so my more casual look now is still a big change for me. I had to have all my pants hemmed for flats. I miss my heels :(

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I wear sweats/yoga pants and a t-shirt or sometimes a fitted t-shirt if we are at home. If we go out I put on jeans and a nice shirt. I don't buy myself clothes very often. Maybe every couple months if I see a shirt or something I like I will buy it but not often at all. I don't see the point in buying new/nice clothes to be at home. We do get out of the house a few times a week but I have enough clothes to do that. We don't have a babysitter so DH and I don't go out for dates so I don't need clothes for that either.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I wear jeans or pants/cords/etc. with t-shirts, turtlenecks, sweaters, etc. I'm not super casual, but I do have stylish tops.

I spend money on my wardrobe. My jeans are all designer, so they are between $100-$200 per pair. I don't go crazy, but I do buy new stuff every month........ 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • I wear jeans and stylish tops but they are all "disposable". ?Anything I buy I know will be destroyed and most days I change tops twice because of a spill. ?Most of my stuff is from Macy's purchased with sales and coupons. ?I like to find deals and I don't like to spend tons of money because I like to get new stuff when the seasons change.

I can tell you if I wore a top with sequins on it my older DD would try to steal it and my baby would try to eat it! ?:) ?My girls love sparkly stuff!?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Now that Emily is three, my answers are VERY different from when she was a newborn/infant/new-walker!

1. How much do you, a SAHM, purchase in new clothing/and how often?

I have a $100/month clothing budget that I can spend on myself for anything from shoes to a new coat but I tend to only purchase things for a special occasion (anniversary, Christmas party, a Cruise, etc.) or when the season's change.  I honestly don't purchase clothes on a regular basis and it's near impossible to try anything on with a child trying to crawl under the door!  :)  I shop for myself 2x per month, realistically.

2. What do you wear during the day when tending to kids/house? 

When ill or not leaving home because we are re-organizing or cleaning house, I wear my yoga capris and these new, 1/2 zip hoodies I just bought from GapBody (LOVE 'EM!).  I don't waste my time or efforts to do my hair or make up but I do shower because I can't stand to feel dirty!  :)

However, if leaving home, even just to run one errand, I am in full make-up with my hair fixed and am almost always dressed in my 1969 Gap jeans and a fitted, cute top.  I buy "short" length jeans and wear my Report flats.  This makes up 90% of my wardrobe and it's wear I spend the majority of my clothing budget.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE Macy's, Anthropology, Ann Taylor Loft and White House/Black Market for clothes and often splurge or Joe's or Citizen Jeans because they fit my booty best!  

I have heels & boots, nice wide-leg trousers, blouses & wrap cardigans for when DH & I got to church, on a date and/or when I go out with the girls but I cannot imagine wearing these things on a daily basis... why wrinkle or ruin nice, expensive clothing when rolling around on the floor with your kid?!?!?

:) 

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

• I've always been a t-shirt and jeans kind of gal, so that's what I wear most of the time. I don't spend much on clothes. I buy jeans when they wear out and I buy them when they're on sale.  Same with t-shirts. I wear what I want to wear, I'm not about to let DH dress me. Stick out tongue
  • I don't spend much on my clothing. It's mostly from Target. I buy myself a new item every other month or so, or when I need something for an occasion.

In the winter I wear jeans or khakis w/tennies or other casual shoes, and some form of T-shirt. In the summer, capris, Ts and flipflops.

I do put makeup on almost every day, just to feel somewhat presentable.

• imageTobeMrs.Shavers:

Now that Emily is three, my answers are VERY different from when she was a newborn/infant/new-walker!

1. How much do you, a SAHM, purchase in new clothing/and how often?

I have a $100/month clothing budget that I can spend on myself for anything from shoes to a new coat but I tend to only purchase things for a special occasion (anniversary, Christmas party, a Cruise, etc.) or when the season's change.  I honestly don't purchase clothes on a regular basis and it's near impossible to try anything on with a child trying to crawl under the door!  :)  I shop for myself 2x per month, realistically.

2. What do you wear during the day when tending to kids/house? 

When ill or not leaving home because we are re-organizing or cleaning house, I wear my yoga capris and these new, 1/2 zip hoodies I just bought from GapBody (LOVE 'EM!).  I don't waste my time or efforts to do my hair or make up but I do shower because I can't stand to feel dirty!  :)

However, if leaving home, even just to run one errand, I am in full make-up with my hair fixed and am almost always dressed in my 1969 Gap jeans and a fitted, cute top.  I buy "short" length jeans and wear my Report flats.  This makes up 90% of my wardrobe and it's wear I spend the majority of my clothing budget.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE Macy's, Anthropology, Ann Taylor Loft and White House/Black Market for clothes and often splurge or Joe's or Citizen Jeans because they fit my booty best!  

I have heels & boots, nice wide-leg trousers, blouses & wrap cardigans for when DH & I got to church, on a date and/or when I go out with the girls but I cannot imagine wearing these things on a daily basis... why wrinkle or ruin nice, expensive clothing when rolling around on the floor with your kid?!?!?

:) 

Your wardrobe sounds so cute, I must say!  I live in the East Bay area and sometimes I feel like such a shlub (is that a word) when I run to Target or something and I am not wearing makeup or have cute jeans on.  I guess I am lazy.  

When I go out of the house, I am usually wearing jeans and some sort of cute t-shirt and boots or flats with a jacket or cardigan.  However hair/makeup seem to suffer about 50% of the time and I don't always take the time to do them.  At home, I'm in sweats and a t-shirt and socks or something.  I buy most of my clothes these days at Old Navy, Target, and occasionally j.crew, banana republic or macys on sale.  I have a budget every month for clothes but I don't always use it all.  

Interesting thread! 

• I spent $100 last week on a new outfit - jeans, top and bra.  That was the first time since DD was born that I didn't buy clothes from ebay or WalMart.
  • I usually just wear sweatpants & Tshirts/hoodies around the house (especially this time of year because it's COLD here & I don't go outside much!).  If I am going somewhere else, I'll put on jeans & a nice shirt.  I really don't spend much on myself, because I still fit into all of my pre-baby clothes.  I have purchased a few new pairs of sweatpants since becoming a SAHM, but otherwise most of my clothes are from Christmas or birthday gifts!
  • I buy things for myself here and there but don't spend much. I do a big shop for myself the day after Christmas every year and get AMAZING deals! I just did that last week and got some nice stuff.

I do jeans, t-shirts, cardigans. jeans, cords, sweaters, ballet flats, etc...I bought a bunch of stuff from H&M. Their t's and tanks are cheaper than target and I like the material and fit better. JCrew is my guilty pleasure but I really just shop sales there or go up to the outlet. I try to keep up with my style and replenish my wardrobe somewhat frequently. I'd rather save up for a shopping trip and get the stuff I really want rather than little things here and there that don't hold up as well. It makes me feel good to know I look good when I go out. I agree that there is not much point in having nice stuff when your kids are spitting up all over you. I dressed down when ds was younger and we were around the house.

Colin Patrick-7/14/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Right now I'm 37 weeks pregnant and down to 2 pairs of jeans, 2 pairs of sweats, and about 4 shirts that still fit.  But, normally when not pregnant I wear jeans and a nice top, button down shirt, or sweater during the fall/winter and a skirt and top, summer dress, or shorts and cute top during the spring/summer.  That is most days.  It helps me feel better to take some care with my appearance.  That's not to say there are not days where I'm feeling under the weather or the kids are sick and I know we are not leaving the house and I'll hang out in sweats but I try to keep those days few and far between. 

As for what I spend I'll usually buy a few new pieces each season.  My parents almost always get me a gift card for my birthday in March and for Christmas.  It's usually for about $100 so I'll use the Christmas one for some new jeans and some cute tops which are usually on clearance by then.  And come March I'll put that card towards a new dress and maybe some news tops/shorts.  Sometimes I'll need a few new things here and there and DH and I tend to do some shopping for ourselves at the end of the summer/early fall maybe spending $300 between us.

This year I've lost a lot of weight (well, it's not evident now as I'm pregnant but it will be once I have the baby and my belly goes back in).  Most of my clothes are a size 12 and I'm probably a size 8 now but possibly even a size 6.  My tops should still fit fine but I'll need some new skirts and pants for the cold weather and shorts for the warm.  Luckily both sides got me gift cards so I'll have about $175 immediately to use once my body is back to normal. 

• I wear jeans and a shirt/sweater every day.  I rarely wear yoga pants around.  I feel much better dressing up.  I buy my jeans from the Gap/Old Navy and most of my shirts are from Express, though it's getting harder and harder to find more casual items there.  Sweaters are usually from the Gap.

I NEVER, EVER pay full price for any of my clothes and usually shop box sales at Express and the clearance/outlet at Gap, Banana and J. Crew.

Since having Parker (about 2 1/2 years ago) I hadn't bought much at all and my clothes were getting tired.  I've just recently bought a bunch of new clothes, but in terms of a monthly budget, there is no such thing!

• I live in yoga pants, hoodies, Uggs, flip flops, cargo capris, tees & sweats, pretty much. If we go anywhere (dinner at IL's, out for drinks, etc.) I usually wear jeans & a cute top or sweater.

I mainly shop for myself at Target, Old Navy or American Eagle, along with Marshalls, TJ Maxx and Ross. I'm not sure how much I spend though. I kind of just get things as I need them.

• I guess I am pretty cheap compared to most.  I shop the clearance racks at Target and Walmart, and buy stuff that is priced under $10.  I love my $3 jeans, I should have bought more than 1 pr.   I am most comfy in athletic type clothes.  THe more mesh type pants, vs sweats.  We go to alot of different events and volunteer/donate and most of my tee-shirts are all free.  So I usually wear one of those.  I rarely buy something full price unless it is an emergency.  Even dresses for weddings I pick up when they are 30=50% off and I try to use coupons too. 
  • I do a lot of clearance shopping too. I have a very "unique" style, and only certain things look good on me. They must not look good on anyone else though, because I can usually find great stuff for me on clearance. I spend about 25.00-50.00 every three months or so. I use coupons and shop sales so I can get more bang for my buck since we are really on the edge of being flat broke and my clothes aren't an aboslute necessity.

I wear jeans every day. I am starting to stock up on cute tees to wear (a lot of what I have/had makes me look a lot older, and I don't want to feel like this frumpy old lady mom). I have some nicer shirts from when I was working left over, but those are mainly for church (but still with jeans, lol). Oxiclean is a miracle working product, so I don't worry about the inevitable yuck that will end up on my clothes. 

• I don't really spend much on clothes.  Before DD, I worked in retail and was always buying clothes.  Whatever the "trend" was for that season, I would buy at least one piece for the meetings with higher ups:)

I live in sweatpants, yoga pants, t-shirt, oversized mens sweats.  I'm way above my pre preg. weight, so that's a factor.  When I go out to Target or the store, I wear jeans and normal shirt/fleece.  I don't dress up (meaning jeans and a nice shirt, cute shoes) unless DH and I are going out alone.  Chasing down DD in the store in heels?  Or a shirt that rides up?  No way.  

• I spend 1% of our household income each year on my own clothes.  I figure keeping myself warm and dry is a necessity.  So why not have a little fun with it?  I'm not the sweatpants type.

I wear jeans and (what I consider, at least) an attractive top during the day and around the house.  I dress, do my hair and makeup for about 15 minutes each morning while DH watches DD.   I like to be ready for whatever the day might bring -- an unexpected visitor, a trip downtown, DD's activities. 

• I feel like a total bum these days.  Before having my son I always dressed nice and trendy and always wore heels.  I went from wearing a suit to work everyday to wearing sweats/t-shirts/hoodies to my "new job" as SAHM.  ;o)  I want to be cute but don't really see the point as I rarely leave the house.  Especially now that it's wintertime and I'm perpetually cold.  My New Year's resolution, though is to step it up a bit and to reclaim my inner diva.  I feel bad for making DH come home to such a bum everyday.  We are B-R-O-K-E these days so a budget doesn't really exist for clothing, shoes, etc.  However, my DH is a total bargain shopper so when he knows something good for me is on sale he says- buy 5!!!  One of every color!!!  I take advantage of those times as an opportunity to add to my wardrobe.  I also have started shopping at thrift stores which is actually a lot of fun and I have found such good deals.  I got a Badgley Mischka dress (that I plan to wear to church)  for $8!  I have also gotten tons of cute hoodies and a few long-sleeved fitted T's that were BRAND NEW for dirt cheap (like, $2/each and stuff). 
  • I make myself get dressed in jeans and usually a sweater or nicer top every day. It's just something that I do for me. I also put make-up on every day as well.

I feel better about myself when I look nice and I know that DH appreciates it too when he gets home from work.

Audrey Elizabeth 11-11-06 image
  • I don't really have a set amount that I spend monthly.  I tend to buy a few things here and there when I need/want them, and do a big shopping trip two or three times/year. 

Now that I'm pregnant again, I am starting to pack away my wardrobe of cute jeans (all different brands, but my favorites are my 7s), fitted button down shirts and sweaters (mostly from JCrew, Banana, and Ann Taylor Loft).  I also tend to wear a lot of fitted long sleeve tees (mostly from JCrew and Old Navy).  Now that the maternity stuff is making its way back into my closet, I'll be sticking with a simple wardrobe of things that fit well, are comfy, and look as nice as possible.  Last pregnancy I constantly wore a pair of Old Navy jeans with cute tops, which is weird for me because I don't normally like their jeans (or most of their clothes, for that matter).  Their maternity jeans just fit me really well.

I do like to look nice and if we are meeting friends for lunch or going on a play date, I will do my hair and make up.  Lately I've been so exhausted from being in the 1st tri that I'm just in survival mode at this point.  I've been lucky to blowdry my hair and put on make up once/week.  I'm hoping that will change fairly soon.  I'm ready to go back to normal.  :)

By the way, TobeMrsShavers---I went to Gap Body last night and bought two of the half zip hoodies you always talk about.  They were on clearance for $11 each!!!  I was pretty excited.  :)

BabyFruit Ticker On our way to 3 under 4! DD1 1/22/09 DD2 7/16/10 Baby Boy Due This Summer!
  • At home, I usually wear jeans and a cute (washable) top.  When not pregnant, I love wearing Ann Taylor Loft jeans and tops.  Now I pretty much wear Gap maternity stuff. 

On the days we go out I will usually wear sweaters or sometimes a cute jacket. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We don't have a budget but I spend as little as possible on clothes.  Two weeks ago I bought 2 shirts at 90% off at Kohl's.  My total was $5.  I probably won't buy clothes again until summer. 

My wardrobe in a nutshell:

- 3 pairs of 'comfy' pants (gray sweats, black yoga pants, purple plaid pants)

-3 color print t-shirts that I layer over 3 long-sleeve solids (white/gray/black) 

- 3 pairs of jeans

-shoes--white running shoes, brown 'everyday' shoes, black boots.

-5 "going out" shirts-- nothing fancy, but more presentable than layered T's.

-long black coat, long red coat, "puffer" type coat

My wardrobe is truly boring but I refuse to buy clothes when I constantly jump between sizes!  It's all plain, simple, (cheap) and easy to mix/match at this point.  When I go to the store I am always wearing a coat so I don't worry about what my shirts look like =)

I can usually squeeze into my old work/dressup stuff if I need to but that is rare.

• imagebabypuplove:

I don't really have a set amount that I spend monthly.  I tend to buy a few things here and there when I need/want them, and do a big shopping trip two or three times/year. 

Now that I'm pregnant again, I am starting to pack away my wardrobe of cute jeans (all different brands, but my favorites are my 7s), fitted button down shirts and sweaters (mostly from JCrew, Banana, and Ann Taylor Loft).  I also tend to wear a lot of fitted long sleeve tees (mostly from JCrew and Old Navy).  Now that the maternity stuff is making its way back into my closet, I'll be sticking with a simple wardrobe of things that fit well, are comfy, and look as nice as possible.  Last pregnancy I constantly wore a pair of Old Navy jeans with cute tops, which is weird for me because I don't normally like their jeans (or most of their clothes, for that matter).  Their maternity jeans just fit me really well.

I do like to look nice and if we are meeting friends for lunch or going on a play date, I will do my hair and make up.  Lately I've been so exhausted from being in the 1st tri that I'm just in survival mode at this point.  I've been lucky to blowdry my hair and put on make up once/week.  I'm hoping that will change fairly soon.  I'm ready to go back to normal.  :)

By the way, TobeMrsShavers---I went to Gap Body last night and bought two of the half zip hoodies you always talk about.  They were on clearance for $11 each!!!  I was pretty excited.  :)

Wahoo, what a deal!  That's even better than the "buy 1 get 1 free" during Black Friday weekend!  I'm jealous!  Don't you just LOVE how fitted they are and the thumb holes?!?  I have these in every color but yellow!  :)

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"