Working Moms

Nanny finding/interviewing/hiring help

We are starting our nanny search and plan to first look through word of mouth and if that doesn't pan out we will use a service.  Please share your thoughts/ideas on:

• how to find a great nanny
  • what questions to ask in an interview
  • how to get a background and driving record check
  • what contract to use
  • taxes (what service to use, etc.)
  • anything else?
Thanks!

Re: Nanny finding/interviewing/hiring help

• I haven't hired a nanny yet (baby is due in April) but here's what I plan to do (note: I also own a business and have 6 full time employees, so I have experience interviewing/hiring/managing for other types of employees).

The great ladies on this board suggested these three sites to find nannies (you can sort by their level of experience, location, age, and much more

I use Paychex (https://www.paychex.com/) to run payroll for my employees so our nanny will just be listed as another employee so taxes will be handled automatically. Other ladies on this board suggested a few nanny only payroll processing services, but I didn't take note of the name of the services. You could probably Google it to find them if you're interested.

You can find low-cost (>$50) background check resources online. Here's one I found that checks criminal and driving records (https://www.hireright.com/express/).

I've found, however, that if you tell individuals that you will be running a background check in the job description, and mention it again in the interview and ask them if there is anything on there that will come up that they want to discuss, they usually share everything. I've had people share MIPs (minor in possession) which won't even show up in any background check b/c they were a minor when it occurred!! They also usually mention any driving infractions, etc. To be extra safe you could both ask them about it, and file the official check.

Finally, I won't begin interviewing until after LO is born since most nannies are ready to start working immediately (as are most employees). I'll require candidates to submit a cover letter with their resume explaining why they want to be a nanny, will do a phone interview, and finally in-person interviews. For the top candidates, if we can't decide which to hire we'll have each come for a day and pay them a flat rate just for the day to see how they interact with LO. Finally, once we decide upon which nanny to hire, we'll have them come for at least a week while I'm still at home (probably working at home) so I can really see how LO does with the nanny and vice versa. 

I know this is super long winded, but hopefully it helps!

• We just hired a nanny through sittercity.com and it is working out well so far. We had about 5 people come in for interviews and picked our top 2. There was one that we kept going back to so we had her come do a trial 2 days last week to see how she interacted with LO. It was very hard for me to sit back and watch someone else take care of LO and I had comments about everything she did. Not that she did it poorly, just not the exact way mommy did it. We will have her come for a full week this week to see how it goes.  If we are not satisfied, we will have someone else come in and do a trial.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • We found a great nanny using care.com.  They run the backgorund checks etc...You can find the contract info online.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"