Special Needs
Options

Cleft lip/Palate

I see a high risk doctor and they said that it looks like our baby has a cleft lip. He said as far as he can tell it's just on the one side and doesn't look like it extends to his nose. I was just wondering if any of you woman have a baby that was born with cleft lip/palate and when they were able to get their lip fixed. I heard the surgery for the palate you have to wait a couple of months, but I have heard that for the lip you can pretty much get that done within weeks of birth. The high risk doctor will be setting up an appt with the cleft team at my appt at 31 weeks, but I was just curious to hear of some of the experiences of the girls that have been there. Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Cleft lip/Palate

• Options
    Hi, yes, our son will to have a CL/CP.  There is a post below, when I asked over here, there are a few ladies here that will be having or have CL/CP.  I have one myself.  Let me know what ???'s you have, you can PM me if you like.  :)
  • Options
    My son was born with cleft lip/palate.  There are 2 schools of thought as to when the right time to repair it is.  My son's lip was repaired when he was 2 weeks old.  His palate will be repaired in March at 7 months old.  You need to talk to a doctor, listen to the reason for repair right away vs. wait until around 3 months old, and make the decision that you think is best for your baby. Good Luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Hi, my ds that is 27 months was born with a unilateral cleft lip and palate. He had his lip repair at 6 weeks (he was 5 weeks early so technically at 1 week!) and his palate repair at 10 months. It really depends on the doctor and how they feel the baby is feeding and doing overall. I preferred to have the lip repair done earlier because I only had 12 weeks of maternity leave and wanted to get the surgery done in that time.  

I don't check this board very often so feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Heather
  • Options
    Thank you girls so much! My high risk ob will be setting up an appt with the Cleft team when I go see him on the 19th, so we'll see what they say then. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Hi, sorry for posting so late.. I have not been on lately.  My oldest was born with a unilateral complete cleft lip/palate on the left side.  First let me say he is such a blessing!  He did not have his lip closure until he was 3 months.  But he had a latham device put in at 2 months to bring the gumline closer together before the surgery.  His last surgery was at 11 months old with was for the palate. We are getting ready for his team visit to schedule his next surgery lip/nose revision (age 5). 

The surgery at the younger age is tougher on you than your child.  He/she will not remember & babies are so resillient!

Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"